Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Presents!

AuthorMessage
Captain
Dec 01, 2012
anecorbie on Jan 6, 2015 wrote:
Santa Claus or as he is known in Holland Sinter Klaus, was based on an early Christian saint, an abbot named Nicholaus. Various legends are attached to him, how he revived three murdered children or provided dowerys for poor girls so that they could marry well, even a link to pirates!
The Santa Claus we Americans are familiar with comes from the poem "A Visit from St. Nicholaus" aka "T'was the Night Before Christmas".
Not exactly.The Santa Claus in ''A Visit From St Nick'' for example,was an elf!

Really,the modern Santa Claus evolved from several figures ranging from Father Christmas(yes,the same old pagan that terrorizes Scrooge as the ghost of Christmas present) and on top of him various figures,including St Nicolas(a saint from Asia Minor I believe,who now thrives in Denmark,with parades and celebrations in his name).And even Odin was thrown into the bunch.They were all mixed together when various people all moved to the New World,and the popularity of it assimilated many of them(Father Christmas is nowadays just another name for Santa,although,St Nick is surviving)

The point of the whole gift giver was to lighten the mood of the Winter Solstice.Northern Europe,in Winter,can be cold,dark and depressing,and the coldest,darkest,and depressingest day is the Winter Solstice(sometimes without even a single ray of sunlight!)So,magical gift giving characters were a necessity.That's also how the Christmas tree came about,as a symbol of life thriving in the darkest time.(although,I believe the practice is from Ancient Egypt...not too sure)

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2013
Now we're just getting off topic here about Santa Claus and his names...

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
And his origins!Don't forget that bit!

But anyways,I think this is relatively on topic.Wouldn't be considered thread hijacking would it Jack?
(Out of curiosity,can someone tell me where One Eyed Jack is?His posting has diminished immensly,and can someone please tell me where he is?)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Hoodoo Master on Jan 8, 2015 wrote:
And his origins!Don't forget that bit!

But anyways,I think this is relatively on topic.Wouldn't be considered thread hijacking would it Jack?
(Out of curiosity,can someone tell me where One Eyed Jack is?His posting has diminished immensly,and can someone please tell me where he is?)
Make a different post on that, Felix! Otherwise this would be a hijacking!

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2013
Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Practical Gorman W... on Jan 8, 2015 wrote:
Why is people suddenly talking about Santa Claus now?
Lol, cuz he is cool XD

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2013
Attention, all Pirates! This is your last chance to post, before nobody is allowed to post here anymore on Saturday, January 10, 2015! Happy New Yearrrrrrrr, Pirates!

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2013
Rainbow0839 on Dec 31, 2014 wrote:
I didn't? Maybe that was a different conversation... If you pour lemon juice over the post and then hold it up to a candle you'll see it I don't understand what you mean by 'when did Christmas exist' though. If you look at the myths and legends in different cultures 'Santa' has been around for a while just under different names.
-Sarcastic Samantha Kirk, Level 17 Musketeer
Great. The lemon juice broke the computer...

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2013
Attention, all Pirates! This is your last chance to post, before nobody is allowed to post here anymore on Saturday, January 10, 2015! Happy New Yearrrrrrrr, Pirates!
Make that until midnight on Saturday.

Ensign
Jul 21, 2010
Why is people suddenly talking about Santa Claus now?
First of all, are* not is Anyway, I believe it was my post that started it all... *insert sarcasm*

Ensign
Jul 21, 2010
Practical Gorman W... on Jan 9, 2015 wrote:
Great. The lemon juice broke the computer...
Sorry If it makes you feel any better, karma caught up to me and broke mine too.