Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I'm not sure what's going on here

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 26, 2011
I've trained up lots of pets, but have never come across this before: by level 52 my pet will have all 4 bars filled (strength, agility, will, health). Obviously it doesn't have the 3rd power yet, so I suppose I just keep training to 60. But I wonder if this is unusual in general, or just unusual in my experience.

It also makes me wonder how far we're supposed to train all of our pets. I usually train until the 4 bars are filled, usually around 62. Is there another thing that determines "finished training?" Is sparring training the factor I'm missing?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SaltyMolly on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:
I've trained up lots of pets, but have never come across this before: by level 52 my pet will have all 4 bars filled (strength, agility, will, health). Obviously it doesn't have the 3rd power yet, so I suppose I just keep training to 60. But I wonder if this is unusual in general, or just unusual in my experience.

It also makes me wonder how far we're supposed to train all of our pets. I usually train until the 4 bars are filled, usually around 62. Is there another thing that determines "finished training?" Is sparring training the factor I'm missing?
Hello Molly.

As a huge fan of the new advanced pet/morphing system, I have trained a loooooooooot of pets. Pretty much all of the ones I train have reached maximum strength, agility, will and health well before they reach max level (usually in the late 40's early 50's). Health is always the last to max and the other 3 are maxed even late 30's to early 40's, depending on what ranked Snacks I am feeding them after training. The higher the rank of the Snacks and as you gain access to new training worlds and events, the faster those attributes max out.

By somewhere in the 40's I am usually just training in the Health gaining events-- Salsa (Monquista), Fire Walking (MooShu) or Wind Sprints (Marleybone), depending on the pets level and available energy. I usually only train in Captain Gunn's Gauntlet, from Skull Island, for the first 10 pet levels. That event gives bronze medals, which allows to train in Salsa, which then gives silver medals to train in Fire Walking, which gives gold medals. That way by the time I max the attribute stats, I have plenty of pet gear to train in the higher health-only events. And the Wind Sprints give the Sandals of Nike, which sell for 1020 gold a piece at pet vendors.

Wow, I think I got a bit off track....yet again!

For your question on how far we're supposed to train our pets-- it mostly just depends on what you use them for. If you like to do pet PvP, then you will want to continue to train their Power and Guts/Guile/Grit as high as possible to give your pet maximum advantage. However, Guts/Guile/Grit are not necessary for PvE or storyline play so as far as maxing your pet, you only need to worry about maxing all of the attribute stats and the pet's Power in order to have the best pet possible for that particular pet. And like you said, hitting that 60 threshold will also open up that last available power slot as you work your way towards maxing everything else.

All of that being said, if you just like a pet because it is cute and cuddly and just enjoy it's company, then you really don't need to worry about maxing them-- maybe just leveling them so they can grow and be of assistance in battle. But I must say, the potential for these pets are majorly impressive. I currently have a Not so Great White Shark that grants my pirate Blade Storm, Shark's Fury, Mutineer's Grasp (and one with the first two plus Steadying Speech) and has the Relentless and Blood Sucker powers-- and it is only Leveled into the 40's. And I also have one that has two higher level Privateer healing powers in it's pedigree!

I must say Decius, you have created some potential monsters and super pets that will be more effective than a great many companions. Well done....beyond well, done!

Hope this helps Molly!

Ensign
Jun 18, 2009
I seem to have maxed the healt etc on a couple of pets long before reaching level 65. I was wondering about that too.

Ensign
Apr 26, 2011
Thanks so much, Valkoor! You weren't off track at all, and I had no idea about Wind Sprints. Also, this pet has Enhanced Toughness 1 and 2, which may account for some level discrepancy compared to my other, first gen pets.

However, Guts/Guile/Grit are not necessary for PvE or storyline play so as far as maxing your pet, you only need to worry about maxing all of the attribute stats and the pet's Power in order to have the best pet possible for that particular pet.

I'm not sure I understand this part of your post. My understanding is that the pet's Power is part of the sparring attributes. In what way does it contribute to PvE?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SaltyMolly on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:
Thanks so much, Valkoor! You weren't off track at all, and I had no idea about Wind Sprints. Also, this pet has Enhanced Toughness 1 and 2, which may account for some level discrepancy compared to my other, first gen pets.

However, Guts/Guile/Grit are not necessary for PvE or storyline play so as far as maxing your pet, you only need to worry about maxing all of the attribute stats and the pet's Power in order to have the best pet possible for that particular pet.

I'm not sure I understand this part of your post. My understanding is that the pet's Power is part of the sparring attributes. In what way does it contribute to PvE?
You are quite welcome Molly, glad to help!

In regards to your ending question about Power in PvE, I was basing that info on quotes from Decius such as this one:

"Power is used in all forms of pet sparing and combat" from this thread.
More specifically focusing on the "and combat" part.

And his response in this thread as well:

"1. Higher rank pet snacks with power on them will increase the pets power stat. This has many benefits in pet sparing and in normal combat. It also lets you start with more power in your power bar to you can cheer faster."

Again with an emphasis on the "in normal combat" statement.

I myself have not paid close enough attention yet as to what all of those benefits from Power actually are in PvE combat, but I have noticed that Power has (or at least I think it has) increased the pets' damage for certain powers and also altered the effects of buffs and debuffs. So, now you have me thinking and in serious investigative mode. I will try to pay closer attention and actually document any differences that increased Power presents. I have several same species pets that have varying Power, so I will try to test them out a bit to see what exactly the benefits of higher Power are.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:
You are quite welcome Molly, glad to help!

In regards to your ending question about Power in PvE, I was basing that info on quotes from Decius such as this one:

"Power is used in all forms of pet sparing and combat" from this thread.
More specifically focusing on the "and combat" part.

And his response in this thread as well:

"1. Higher rank pet snacks with power on them will increase the pets power stat. This has many benefits in pet sparing and in normal combat. It also lets you start with more power in your power bar to you can cheer faster."

Again with an emphasis on the "in normal combat" statement.

I myself have not paid close enough attention yet as to what all of those benefits from Power actually are in PvE combat, but I have noticed that Power has (or at least I think it has) increased the pets' damage for certain powers and also altered the effects of buffs and debuffs. So, now you have me thinking and in serious investigative mode. I will try to pay closer attention and actually document any differences that increased Power presents. I have several same species pets that have varying Power, so I will try to test them out a bit to see what exactly the benefits of higher Power are.
Yes, someone posted something along the lines that their pet was not hitting very hard for their level and Ratbeard responded that their Power needed to be trained in order for the high damage to happen, so yea the pet's need it for PvE fights too.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 15, 2014 wrote:
Yes, someone posted something along the lines that their pet was not hitting very hard for their level and Ratbeard responded that their Power needed to be trained in order for the high damage to happen, so yea the pet's need it for PvE fights too.
Why thank you for the added clarification Chrissy. I just new that Ratty had chimed in as well....I just couldn't seem to find it. I thought that higher power meant higher damage dealt, and I am pretty sure that it may add to ally buffs and enemy debuffs effectiveness.

And this is a just a side note, but I was experimenting with some of my pets and I noticed that one of my Not so Greats would go hidden after every attack or power used-- even after buffing/debuffing. Sweet, a Ninja Pet!

Thanks again for the added info!

Ensign
Apr 26, 2011
Thank you both. There is a lot more to training than I realized. And so many babies to train.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SaltyMolly on Aug 15, 2014 wrote:
Thank you both. There is a lot more to training than I realized. And so many babies to train.
You're very welcome Molly! Good luck with your continued critter training.