Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Aesthetics Question

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Why does everyone think that aesthetics, or graphics, matter so much? What is it about them that people care about?

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
AlphaWolf02 on Jul 28, 2014 wrote:
Why does everyone think that aesthetics, or graphics, matter so much? What is it about them that people care about?
Bragging rights.

Nah, I'm not sure either. People just like to bring up the small tiny details to try and criticize other games either from frustration or from anger. Well, most of the time anyways from what I've seen.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
It just makes it more enjoyable to play a game that is so stunningly beautiful then to play one that is dull

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
We are visual creatures and truly appreciate beauty. A lot of games out there are not near as gorgeous as Pirate 101. Appreciating the work that goes behind creating such amazing scenery really enhances the enjoyment for me too.

Ensign
Jan 03, 2013
From these replies on this topic you see why people care so much about graphics. I would say what they would say. The graphics are there to relieve stress and enjoy the game on a different level. That's why in the advanced pets update they had an art and sound review, Making art and sound quality better.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
For me, graphics add more to the world to which I am escaping to. The more rich and vibrant the graphics, the easier it is for me to immerse myself in that world and become part of it. I have gamed for many moons young padewan. I started on the old Atari console with Asteroids and Space Invaders. As much fun as those games were back then, I much prefer games like Pirate101 that allow you to interact with a living and breathing environment.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
A lot of people seemed to misunderstand my original post, which is my fault. I meant, why do people choose a piece of gear/a companion that looks good over one that performs better?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
AlphaWolf02 on Jul 31, 2014 wrote:
A lot of people seemed to misunderstand my original post, which is my fault. I meant, why do people choose a piece of gear/a companion that looks good over one that performs better?
Changing the question makes a difference!
With stitching, we no longer have to choose a powerful weapon/clothes that doesn't suit our 'image' over an attractive ensemble. For me, I love SI fashions, and don't like MB or AQ clothes.
As to choosing attractive companions over powerful companions, could you give some examples?
I'm guilty in choosing a powerful pet over an attractive 'cuddly' one. My spider is not a pet I would choose, except that it gives me Brutal Charge!

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
anecorbie on Jul 31, 2014 wrote:
Changing the question makes a difference!
With stitching, we no longer have to choose a powerful weapon/clothes that doesn't suit our 'image' over an attractive ensemble. For me, I love SI fashions, and don't like MB or AQ clothes.
As to choosing attractive companions over powerful companions, could you give some examples?
I'm guilty in choosing a powerful pet over an attractive 'cuddly' one. My spider is not a pet I would choose, except that it gives me Brutal Charge!
Hmm. For the companions thing, I saw someone choose Mormo over Nausica in a PvP match the other day, and they said it was because Mormo "looked better." If you've read Duelist101 articles, it's like Kevin the Noob; "Would you rather look awesome, or have epic stats?" I just don't get why some people would choose looks over stats...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
AlphaWolf02 on Aug 1, 2014 wrote:
Hmm. For the companions thing, I saw someone choose Mormo over Nausica in a PvP match the other day, and they said it was because Mormo "looked better." If you've read Duelist101 articles, it's like Kevin the Noob; "Would you rather look awesome, or have epic stats?" I just don't get why some people would choose looks over stats...
Huh They choose a short, squat watermole over a graceful Horsewoman? Now Mormo is very powerful, and if you've trained him well, he has quit a punch. I think they may have been kidding you.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
If they were kidding me, why did they go ahead and use Mormo in their PvP match?

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
With stitching, it is not longer an issue for weapons and gear, fortunately.

Aesthetically, I don't think the "Wild West" (late 19th century U.S.) look of Cool ranch goes at all well in a pirate game that has its main flavoring in the 16th through 18th centuries. Accordingly, most of my pirates don't buy the Cool Ranch ships and Cool Ranch companions who have the Wild West flavor strongly (the chickens and the buffalo) are pretty much placed on Pet Wrangling from the moment they join the crew.

I don't do PvP, and in terms of progressing through the game these aesthetic choices have not slowed me down substantially (I do have to board more ships toward the end of Cool Ranch, when my Port Regal ships become too outclassed).

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
If they were kidding me, why did they go ahead and use Mormo in their PvP match?
Mormo is actually a very effective companion. If you're think Nausica is Op and 'unbeatable', that's a PvP myth that's been passed around, she easily beatable and not as powerful as some believe.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
It's all about style. I'm a Swashbuckler. As a member of the coolest class out there...I have to look the part. Tell me...have you ever seen a Swashbuckler that didn't look just really cool and utterly fabulous? The answer to that question, my friend, would be no. I don't know about the other classes but for Swashbucklers it is mandatory to be stunningly beautiful or ruggedly handsome at all times. Stitching now makes it possible to craft the look you want and still retain the stats you covet. So now...Swashbucklers can be beautiful AND deadly at the same time. Yes, I know, the other classes cry alone at night wishing that they were us, but hey...with a lot of hard work and even more luck, you could be just like us. Well actually...you couldn't. You could come close, though. Maybe. Then again... :D

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
I like Mormo...
He has low health,but of all the witchdoctors on my crew(including me) he's the only one capable of training Jobu's Ruse.He also gets Mojo Echo chains,just like Old Scratch.This is all referring to the stats,purely,not the appearance.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Alas, Alpha Wolf, I must confess I am one of those people who will choose garments based more on the way they look than the most superb stats. Partly out of vanity, I suppose, but it is as Indigo Ring says, choosing the look based on the way you want your pirate to present themselves. For most of my pirates, I like the 18th C. look, very classic for the Age of Pirates sort of way (though I like 17th C. style pieces too). That's a lot of the Skull Island gear, and some Port Regal, with the typical gentleman's suit of 18th C. being shirt, waistcoat, breeches, and frockcoat, all fastened with buttons and adorned with gold cord or embroidery to your fancy. Oh, add to that a lovely hat with a feather. I don't like the armored look for my swashbuckler, even though she can wear light armor, simply because it doesn't have that unencumbered d'Artagnan sort of look I envision for a light-on-her-feet fighter. And there are times I would like my girl pirates to be dressed, well, more like girls, which I do get to do especially for my witchdoctor, and that pleases her very much.

Though I generally strongly agree with Indigo for the look of the 16th - 18th C., I will admit my musketeer does look rather nice in her Cool Ranch garments, probably because the weapons of the musketeer tend to fit that look rather well. Though I must admit that I stitched her hat: even though English Bill's hat was a excellent style for the place, I just had to have the look of one of those great big sweeping hats of 17th C.

I don't think there is any particular gear for any class (especially garment-wise) that is so very superior to others; there is a lot of picking and choosing you can do, and looks only play a part of it. My maxed level Witchdoctor still wears the ornamented headdress (with a powerful card) that she got back in Mooshu; my Swashbuckler still sometimes wears the level 20 cocked [tricorned] hat (with a significant stat bonus)... and not just because it includes earrings (though admittedly, that is a big plus).

And yes, stitching does mean you can have your cake and eat it too: excellent stats & a great look, particularly for gear that you expect to have around for a long time.