Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Kan Po or El Toro?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 26, 2014
Hey Pirates! I've never posted anything on the message boards before, and I thought this was a perfect time to do so. I recently got El Toro as a companion but I'm not sure if I should replace him for my current firstmate Kan Po. Kan Po is a great swashbuckler with a total of 2 companions and a great block rate. Right now, he is a Goat Disciple; not a master. He is equipped with Rouse, Mega Strike, Riposte 2, and Relentless. Kan Po has helped me quite a lot, and that's one of the reasons why he is my firstmate. On the other hand, El Toro gets a total of 1 promotion, but everyone says he's a great companion, which I agree with. Any thoughts on who would be more effective for a witchdoctor?

Felix, lvl 40 Witchdoctor

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Hmm. Well, what other companions do you use frequently? Kan Po is powerful, but El Toro is pretty awesome too. It all depends on your strategy. You might want to do a sort of 'test drive'. Redo a dungeon or boss battle (I suggest Gortez) using first Kan Po, then do it again using El Toro. If you have it set so that the first three companions on your list are the ones that come into battle, you might not have to replace Kan Po. You could put El Toro in one of the other two slots. My Witchdoctor hasn't finished Skull Island yet, so I haven't had much experience with Kan Po at the higher levels.

Hope this was helpful!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
FelixTheWitchdocto... on Jul 12, 2014 wrote:
Hey Pirates! I've never posted anything on the message boards before, and I thought this was a perfect time to do so. I recently got El Toro as a companion but I'm not sure if I should replace him for my current firstmate Kan Po. Kan Po is a great swashbuckler with a total of 2 companions and a great block rate. Right now, he is a Goat Disciple; not a master. He is equipped with Rouse, Mega Strike, Riposte 2, and Relentless. Kan Po has helped me quite a lot, and that's one of the reasons why he is my firstmate. On the other hand, El Toro gets a total of 1 promotion, but everyone says he's a great companion, which I agree with. Any thoughts on who would be more effective for a witchdoctor?

Hey Felix, and welcome to the boards ( Unless your first post was a long time ago... )

Personally, I use El Toro a bit more often than Kan Po as a firstmate because when he is promoted, his Espirit de Corps is very handy in increasing the accuracy and dodge of my companions. But since you're still at level 40, Kan Po could serve a bit better due to his advantage of being able to heal, which is very useful when you are entering the next worlds like Mooshu.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Hi Felix, Welcome to the message boards.
They are both great companions. Kan Po is really powerful and has his heal yet Toro has his agility buff which will really come in handy later. I would keep them both trained up and switch them as needed depending on your enemy and if one gets wounded.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009

The first three in the menu appear in combat, so all that matters is which one you want following you around. El Toro looks to be a bodyguard, so that's one point in his favor.

Ensign
Dec 17, 2012
My name is morgan freeman, and I think you should get a cow.

Petty Officer
Jun 02, 2013

let them fight together side by side

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
El Toro is pretty good, but died pretty quick in a battle against ettins. Kan Po is great, since he can heal and with his shadow move he can bring the enemy's health way down. I have his counterpart for my swashbuckler who is max level.

Ensign
Jun 26, 2014
Thanks for the all the help! I've decided to switch out Kan Po with El Toro.

Felix, lvl 45 Witchdoctor

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
Kai Alcott on Jul 13, 2014 wrote:
The first three in the menu appear in combat, so all that matters is which one you want following you around. El Toro looks to be a bodyguard, so that's one point in his favor.
Of course, who doesn't like a goat following them though?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Morgan Freeman on Jul 14, 2014 wrote:
Hi Morgan, welcome to the message boards.
You have a good point Kobie and his Crown Shop brother Yagyu Sanjuro are a force to be reckoned with.

Community Leader
Both are awesome companions, 2 of my long time favorites.

I however have always used "El Toro" as my first mate, as his accuracy and dodge boost I find very helpful for my entire crew. That heal with Kan Po can definitely be helpful at times though.

Best of luck, happy sailin!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Captain
Jun 26, 2010
EL Toro be best in me book, all I be saying.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
Morgan Freeman on Jul 14, 2014 wrote:
Huh, am I the only one who didn't quite understand the joke/post? (El Toro is a bull and Kan Po is a goat so where does the cow come in? Unless he meant Kobe which witchdoctors dont recieve at all)

Ensign
Jun 26, 2014
Rachel Dreamsong on Jul 15, 2014 wrote:
Huh, am I the only one who didn't quite understand the joke/post? (El Toro is a bull and Kan Po is a goat so where does the cow come in? Unless he meant Kobe which witchdoctors dont recieve at all)
Allow me to clear things up for you. That post was from my friend to mess with me

Hope that helps!

Felix, lvl 47 Witchdoctor

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
I said this before, I'll say it again. They will both always appear in combat! ALWAYS. Whether someone is first or second in line is just appearance. Which one do you want to follow you around all the time?
All it does is change the order they attack in combat!

Ensign
Jul 29, 2013
Why not use el toro as a first mate. He will go first in battle and use his buff. Then make kan po the second companion and he will be extra awesome with the buff from el toro, shadow play and critical strike. I loved kan po so much when he got his second promotion i bought keisuke yagi too. I also bought him for a couple of my other pirates, he is probably my favorite starter companion, although the others are also really good!!!