Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion Leveling

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 03, 2011
Why don't companions gain experience when they fight in battles with your character?

Ensign
Oct 28, 2013
undeadpsycho on Jun 21, 2014 wrote:
Why don't companions gain experience when they fight in battles with your character?
have you tried giving them the Brawlin' task instead?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
undeadpsycho on Jun 21, 2014 wrote:
Welcome to the message boards Undeadpsyco.
I like this idea. It is good incentive to get those rarely used companions into battle and help them grow too.

Petty Officer
Oct 11, 2012
eh idk, you don't want to make it too easy for companions to gain levels, KI has given the helpful brawlin feature, I am not a big fan of it but it can a up over time, plus if you use your training points wisely you should be fine

Fearless john west level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john morris level 32

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I suspect it would more likely encourage us to use our favorites even more, to level them faster!

In truth, even our characters don't really earn much from fights - the overwhelming majority of our experience comes from accomplishing tasks.

-Indigo

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
With the Brawlin' Task feature, I don't mind them not gaining XP from actual battles. It is a neat idea but like Indigo stated, now that we can dictate who shows up in every battle, it would make it pretty easy to level up chosen companions. Plus, most of the time the companions that we actually want in battle, we have already leveled up pretty close to our pirates anyways. It seems that it would mainly benefit lower level companions needing XP, which in that case we might not want them in battle anyways.

NOW, if OUR PETS could gain XP when they show up in battle....that's a whole different story! They don't show up in every battle and we can't control when they do. And the wait for them to finish training and earn XP from training, especially at higher levels, can take quite a loooooooong time. I would so be for our pets earning extra XP from joining our crew in battle. They can already train to higher levels than our pirates, so it would make sense that they could grab some XP from dishing out some pain to the Spirals enemies. It's not like they show up all the time or even half of the time, so them gaining a little bit of extra XP isn't going to power level them too fast. Maybe there could be a set amount of XP that any and all pets gain at each given level every time they accompany our crew into battle. It would help a little bit while we wait out the training timers and make them feel like they were a good and loyal pet.

What do you think, KI? Any chance of pets gaining small amounts of XP from battles?

Developer
Interesting historical note:

My original design for combat DID grant XP to companions for combat. I don't recall if that made it into beta or not (I think not). Companions used to gain the same amount of XP from combat that your player does-- not a lot, but also not nothing.

Every time we discuss ways to improve companions, I say, "How about granting companions XP for combat?"

No luck so far-- and frankly I don't think you need it anymore thanks to the companion tasks-- but that won't stop me from trying...

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ratbeard on Jun 24, 2014 wrote:
Interesting historical note:

My original design for combat DID grant XP to companions for combat. I don't recall if that made it into beta or not (I think not). Companions used to gain the same amount of XP from combat that your player does-- not a lot, but also not nothing.

Every time we discuss ways to improve companions, I say, "How about granting companions XP for combat?"

No luck so far-- and frankly I don't think you need it anymore thanks to the companion tasks-- but that won't stop me from trying...
Nice short story.

I didn't think of Companions granting XP from combat. Would be a bit sufficient for them to gain experience in combat. You know what they say about these kind of things that didn't make the cut, Ratbeard, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.". Remember that old saying? I'm sure anyone does.

Giving that grinning look you gave out, it looks like you may attempt to try that once again... but, as before, I already know that there are other tasks that may be bigger than that looming upon you.