Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New Class: Cannoneer

AuthorMessage
Captain
May 16, 2011
Disclaimer: I did not think this class up myself. The full credit goes to Milt on Central.

I just wanted to share my ideas for a potential "6th class", which I'll call "Cannoneers" since that's about as close of an ideal name as I can think of.

Firstly, Cannoneers address the fact that Buccaneers are the only class with naturally high strength, while Privateers are the only class with naturally low agility. I decided to give "Cannoneers" base 70 strength, base 37 agility, and base 55 will by level 65, thus letting each stat provide a strength for 2 classes, a weakness for 2 other classes, and something in-between for the remaining 2 classes.

My concept also addresses that Pirate101 has 3 primarily melee classes (Buccaneer, Musketeer, and Privateer) and 2 primarily ranged classes (Musketeer and Witchdoctor). Adding another range-based class could add another layer of strategy to the game, and give some much needed competition for Musketeers, but how would I go about implementing a strength-based range class?

First, I looked at the Musketeer's position in PvP. From what I understand, Musketeers are one of the dominant classes PvP; Burst Fire combined with their high accuracy makes them valuable powerhouses, and Overwatch keeps most melee-based companions on their toes. Buccaneers and a few Buccaneer companions can keep Musketeers in check, but only a few of their epic talents will be able to trigger against them. What Musketeers need is another class that can play at their level and even make them think twice about spamming Burst Fires.

But wait! Musketeers and Cannoneer are mutually weak to each other, so Cannoneers may have some trouble tanking their attacks. For this reason, I decided that Cannoneer should take on the role of a ranged tank, with plenty of health , armor, and magic resist. And to further emphasize their role as ranged tanks, Cannoneers should have nearly as much weapon power as a Buccaneer (don't worry, Cannoneers won't have Turn the Tide). I'd give Cannoneers low dodge to turn a Musketeer's accuracy against them with True Grits, as well as standard accuracy just so that Swashbucklers can easily dodge their attacks.

Just to make sure that Cannoneers don't disturb the balance with Musketeers and Buccaneers, I decided to make their weapons have low range (2-3 max) and low movement speed if they're companions (3 tiles max). This means that Cannoneers will need to get pretty close to their targets before they can attack and they'll have a rough time getting to the front lines unless you use Vulture's Gift, Highland Charge, etc. Once your Cannoneer companions get there, they'll be ready to unleash all of their mayhem against Musketeer and Witchdoctors.

The full idea can be viewed here.

Ensign
Aug 14, 2008
I'd like to thank Thunderchu9801 for sharing my idea on the Pirate101 Message Boards.

Cannoneers say seem like tanky Musketeers; but if you've seen my power suggestion within the link provide, oh man! They're a whole different beast of a pirate! As was addressed in the OP, Cannoneers are slow and have low weapon range; but once they get to the front lines, your Musketeers better be careful not to get them angry!

Some of my power suggestions for the class also add a whole new layer of strategy to the game. The "Howling Howitzer" line lets Cannoneers hit units from further away (normally up to 6), and even lower their movement speed so that they'll have some trouble retreating or getting up close and personal. The "Standing Sentry" line boosts a Cannoneers range, damage, and resistance, but they won't be able to leave their spot until 3 turns have past; you better think very carefully about your position, because your targets need are a pair of legs (or peg legs) to make your buff moot!

Now to discuss the feedback which I've already received on Central. Many disagree with my decision to give the class Overwatch for a couple reasons, many because they feel that 3 epics is too much. The class doesn't necessary need to have Overwatch (in fact, I think Parting Shot would serve them much better thanks to its potential synergy with Crossfire ). My Cannoneer concept is inspired by the Buccaneer class, and I don't think Cannoneers should get many powers because I don't want them to easily curbstomp Swashbucklers.

But if the class really does need another power, then Guardian1159 did bring up a very unique suggestion: ammunition-changing powers. In summary, this powers change a Cannoneer's ammo from fusilier powder to some other element with interesting secondary effects. That idea alone would carve out a unique niche for Cannoneers!

A couple others stated that Cannoneers should be able to move and shoot due to their low range and speed; that'd also make the class unique!

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I don't think this will happen since we already have companions that have the title of cannoneer. Plus it's very unlikely that they will add another class.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
This is an impressive idea. And to CaptainBlackWolf, no one thought any other classes would be added in W101, and then Astral Class and Shadow Class came around. The people at KI have TONS of tricks and secrets up their sleeves, so believe me when I say: "You're not gonna see it coming." Overall, the Cannoneer idea sounds pretty dangerous. A Buccaneer/Musketeer player or companion would be a powerful adversary.

Ensign
Aug 14, 2008
warriorscreed on Jun 27, 2014 wrote:
This is an impressive idea. And to CaptainBlackWolf, no one thought any other classes would be added in W101, and then Astral Class and Shadow Class came around. The people at KI have TONS of tricks and secrets up their sleeves, so believe me when I say: "You're not gonna see it coming." Overall, the Cannoneer idea sounds pretty dangerous. A Buccaneer/Musketeer player or companion would be a powerful adversary.
Thank you warriorscreed!

I agree, KingsIsle has plenty of amazing ideas for this game, and I have no doubts that they could even improve the game beyond our very imaginations :). I enjoy watching this game grow into something spectacular; I'm already hooked on the story, but I'd really love to see more in the gameplay department, and I'd really like to dedicate my 6th character slot to a brand-new class.

I'm really curious to know what KingsIsle thinks of the Cannoneer concept, especially after how much the idea has grown over the past couple weeks; I truly think it would add to the gameplay and introduce a whole new element of strategy and challenge :).

Ensign
Aug 10, 2009
They aren't actual playable main classes though, they are side classes.

Cannoneer sounds decent though, but sadly I don't think it's going to happen. Like, ever.

Though I do like the idea.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
What I meant was they wouldn't add a starting class, like swashbuckler, buccaneer, etc. It could be possible they add another class. But a cannoneer class is, as I said, very unlikely since we already have some musketeer companions and gear under the name cannoneer.

Ensign
Aug 14, 2008
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Jun 28, 2014 wrote:
What I meant was they wouldn't add a starting class, like swashbuckler, buccaneer, etc. It could be possible they add another class. But a cannoneer class is, as I said, very unlikely since we already have some musketeer companions and gear under the name cannoneer.
Just because there are already Musketeers which resemble Cannoneers, doesn't exactly mean that KingsIsle can't make changes to suit the class. In fact, this actually makes it a whole lot easier for them to add the class, if they decide to do it.