Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion fix suggestions!

AuthorMessage
Developer
Bosun
May 06, 2009
Okay, I gotta say some Companions I feel really need some improvements (why do I have a hunch such an update might happen around the introduction of Ranked PvP?):

-Nurse Quinn: I think the above posters have stated that pretty clearly. If she could get some more heals, the title of "Doctor" or "Surgeant" and maybe a heavier First-Aid Kit, she'd be pretty helpful

-Crab Hermit: I guess I shouldn't be surprise no one mentioned him, but I've got heart of this guy (and some nose-plugs for his scent). I really think the Crab Hermit should get at least 1 good promotion to become an outstanding Witchdoctor.
I don't think he needs to be a heavy hitter (don't we have enough of those?) but I think he should be a powerful summoner. No Companion (other than (sort of) Old Scratch) has a plethera of summoning powers and designed to get multiple allies out on the field. I think if he promoted and gained more Crab Crawlie summons with more Epics (with the new big Crawlie in the Shark Cave on Traitor Cave, he could really call on some friends) and Will boosts, he could help overwhelm the enemy with multiple allies.

All Monquistador Companions- The Monquistador, Initiate, and Bowmen should all get another promotions. The Bowmen, and Monquistador should dawn their black and gold trimmed armor and the Initiate should meditate to become a true Bishop. The Crazy Monquistador should get one promotion OR have the option to gain an Epic when first recruited like Hoodoo Cornelius or most MB-AQ Companions.

Most Animal Companions- Madclaw, Battacuda, El Tiburon, Scorpion, Nikeeta, and Sky Snake Companions should take to some serious training time to become close to or just as powerful as the Crokogators of Marleybone.

That's all from me. I look forward to what the future will bring!

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Ratbeard on May 7, 2014 wrote:
Hawkules has Armor Piercing?
Oops, I guess not. I always thought he did... ^.^;

Developer
Okay, I gotta say some Companions I feel really need some improvements (why do I have a hunch such an update might happen around the introduction of Ranked PvP?):

Companion Improvements are a constant, ongoing goal. I hope to do a "batch" every update.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before or not, but just in case: I have not yet begun to balance for PvP.

Crab Hermit
Actually, I've had the second tier of this guy checked in for a while (though, obviously, not for you guys), with an upgrade to an "AOE" crab summons. In fact, he was our test case for AOE summons (before Stygian Chorus existed). But I really like your Humongocrab idea, too!

Most Animal Companions
This would be a nice, easy batch to cover.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Cunning Finnigan S... on May 8, 2014 wrote:

-Nurse Quinn: I think the above posters have stated that pretty clearly. If she could get some more heals, the title of "Doctor" or "Surgeant" and maybe a heavier First-Aid Kit, she'd be pretty helpful

-Crab Hermit: I guess I shouldn't be surprise no one mentioned him, but I've got heart of this guy (and some nose-plugs for his scent). I really think the Crab Hermit should get at least 1 good promotion to become an outstanding Witchdoctor.
I don't think he needs to be a heavy hitter (don't we have enough of those?) but I think he should be a powerful summoner. No Companion (other than (sort of) Old Scratch) has a plethera of summoning powers and designed to get multiple allies out on the field. I think if he promoted and gained more Crab Crawlie summons with more Epics (with the new big Crawlie in the Shark Cave on Traitor Cave, he could really call on some friends) and Will boosts, he could help overwhelm the enemy with multiple allies.

All Monquistador Companions- The Monquistador, Initiate, and Bowmen should all get another promotions. The Bowmen, and Monquistador should dawn their black and gold trimmed armor and the Initiate should meditate to become a true Bishop. The Crazy Monquistador should get one promotion OR have the option to gain an Epic when first recruited like Hoodoo Cornelius or most MB-AQ Companions.

Most Animal Companions- Madclaw, Battacuda, El Tiburon, Scorpion, Nikeeta, and Sky Snake Companions should take to some serious training time to become close to or just as powerful as the Crokogators of Marleybone.

That's all from me. I look forward to what the future will bring!
I agree, especially with the creature companions, since they won't get promotions I think they should get stat buffs or more epic talents like the Crokagator.
But I still like all the companions, there's no such thing as a perfect companion :3

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ratbeard on May 8, 2014 wrote:

Companion Improvements are a constant, ongoing goal. I hope to do a "batch" every update.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before or not, but just in case: I have not yet begun to balance for PvP.

Crab Hermit
Actually, I've had the second tier of this guy checked in for a while (though, obviously, not for you guys), with an upgrade to an "AOE" crab summons. In fact, he was our test case for AOE summons (before Stygian Chorus existed). But I really like your Humongocrab idea, too!

Most Animal Companions
This would be a nice, easy batch to cover.
Ratbeard, a moment, if you please. I've got one Companion fix that you need to hear before this update goes to Live.

Gracie Conrad uses Will, and from what I've seeing while re-training her by using the free reset we've been given, she currently is the one major storyline Companion that doesn't have the Spirited Talent, and it's Ranks to train afterwards. I can't believe she doesn't have the one Talent that could boost her attack power by training Spirited. I've looked, and Spirited isn't there among that Companion's Talents list. Please, Ratbeard, I ask of you to correct this so that Gracie Conrad will be able to train Spirited! Take a good quick look, and you'll see.

If anyone else notices this, please look Gracie Conrad's Talent list and figure out. Raising her Will by training her Spirited Talent and it's ranks, knowing that she's a Privateer and all, would help boost her attack power slightly, and give her a better advantage in combat.

Thanks for hearing me!

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
Romba needs to be buffed. 1 Epic to choose from is not enough. Period.

The Black Storm Chief is...Ok, I guess. He could be buffed a bit.

Corporal Sanders isn't very good, he could be buffed a little bit as well.

That is all I can think of, sadly.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
Think you can consider making the enemy-triggered Stock Assault of Bonnie Anne's stun or daze the hit target for that attacking round. Stock Assault usually sets her up to be hit again and possibly trigger Relentless chains.

Ensign
Jun 18, 2013
A few companions that I think need some upgrade love are.

Nanu Nanu and Water Mole Slingman: The first so he can catch up to those with two promotions and the later simply needs something. Unpromoted and only Parting Shot as an epic makes him limited in combat situations.

Finn Dorsal: Could stand another promotion and one that does not have him use only one attack animation all of the time.

All of the monquestadors: They could stand another promotion.

Yule Trogg: Same as Finn.

Developer
Lucas Walker on May 10, 2014 wrote:
Think you can consider making the enemy-triggered Stock Assault of Bonnie Anne's stun or daze the hit target for that attacking round. Stock Assault usually sets her up to be hit again and possibly trigger Relentless chains.
Stock Assault allows Bonnie Anne to move (into position) and still make an attack.

You'll have to decide whether that added flexibility is worth the risk of putting her in harm's way.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ratbeard on May 12, 2014 wrote:
Stock Assault allows Bonnie Anne to move (into position) and still make an attack.

You'll have to decide whether that added flexibility is worth the risk of putting her in harm's way.
Hey, Ratbeard, speaking of Bonnie Anne, I noticed that besides her unique Powers she gets from start, such as Scatterblast and Second Wind, and how she gets more through promotions, such as Stock Assault, she doesn't have any of the Musketeer-related Powers she should have in addition. I think she needs to have a Musketeer buff by having a few of the Musketeer-related Powers added to her lineup.

I think the MooShu 5 should have a power boost by adding in some more class-related Powers like you did with the Kraken Skulls 5, such as Subodai. He's a Buccaneer, and he could use a few more Buccaneer-related Powers.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Nice that Tricky Vinny gets another Epic, I guess, but I believe he could use another good promotion. He definitely deserves another promotion. And maybe give him a Musketeer Power or two.

The Crazy Monquistador is WAY short on Epics and Powers. Give the Crazy Monquistador more Epics to train and more new Powers, including the Critical hit card. And, I think that Companion may need a promotion to accommodate, too.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Say, I forgot to say one thing about Nurse Quinn, Ratbeard. She's quite a good helper and a healer, but her Companion class needs to be changed from Witchdoctor to Privateer, because she has only one Power that can heal anyone, and that she can also use Will, as well as Privateers and Witchdoctors. I think she needs to be a Privateer instead of a Witchdoctor, because I don't think dabbling in magic is her thing. And I think she could use a few more Epics to train and some more new Powers.

Other than that, I think she should have a promotion, too. She definitely deserves it.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Here's my two cents: promote the water moles. Particularly the sling man. At level 65 he's practically the same as when he's first obtained.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Ratbeard, I forgot to say this!

Goronado, Rooster Cogburn, Ju Hao, Monkey King, El Toro, and Bonnie Anne should have their Critical Strike cards added to their power lineup. They definitely should have them. Also, Catbeard should have some Priavteer Powers plus his own unique Powers added to him.

I think the unique universally granted side companions, Shiruku Neko, Ju Hao, and even Rooster Cogburn, should have unique Powers of their own added to them, just like our main story companions do. Who would like to see that happening? I would.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
I love some of the fixes in place already, and I can't wait to see more!

Please, give serious thought to these companion fixes:

Sarah Steel: Please remove her permanent talent Repel Boarders as it ruins her hide feature, or fix it to where you can turn off Repel Boarders when hidden! This is a standing issue with this talent that destroys strategies and setup! Replace it with Bladestorm please!

Old Scratch: Love this guy, however, the summon companion feature because quite useless quickly, he needs a great update like Mormo got, who is easily one of the best witchdoctor companions.

El Toro: Please give him a critical strike card, only thing missing from this truly epic companion!

Thanks KI, for listening and making this game so great!

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
If i may add another companion or so need some tune up.

Grimtooth- He make a great tank but in the magic side.He seems to fizzle very often, reminded me of old scratch.I don't know if that's me or he got a high fizzle rate, he meant to be a relentless attacker in my opinon.

Zeena- With all do respect,please don't down grade this great companion. She dosen't deserve to be treated this way, is there is something wrong with this companion being too powerful ? One less ability or one less talent for every update.Is like resetting back a maxed leveled pirate to level one. I am appalled in other words,for her downgrade.

Nurse Quinn- She needed a long awaited 2nd tier and a new power.

Thunder Hoof- He need a 2nd tier also and new power and maybe a storyline for his promo quest.

Ensign
Aug 17, 2012
Nadya and Thunder Hoof could use a bit of an upgrade, especially considering that Nadya's one of the few Privateers that Buccaneers get in the "earlier" part of the game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ratbeard on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
I'm definitely open to suggestions.

I can't make any promises on timelines, but we've set a goal to improve a handful of companions each time we can squeeze it in.

And don't feel that you have to restrict yourselves to the main storyline companions, either.

It seems that Froggo Villa is popular-- who are some other 2nd tier characters you'd like to see improved next?

Personally, I'm thinking Nurse Quinn.
Why is Nurse Quinn a witchdoctrr? She has no spells or magical attacks at all! She just bops enemies on the head with her satchel! She heals! Isn't that a privateer power?

Bosun
May 10, 2010
anecorbie on Sep 2, 2014 wrote:
Why is Nurse Quinn a witchdoctrr? She has no spells or magical attacks at all! She just bops enemies on the head with her satchel! She heals! Isn't that a privateer power?
I think the correlation between witch Doctor and Nurse Quinn should be obvious, yes, she has a privateer power, which is a heal, but many companions hold powers not of their own class.

I thought it was clever to put Nurse Quinn as a WitchDoctor, but that is just my opinion...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Darth JT on Sep 2, 2014 wrote:
I think the correlation between witch Doctor and Nurse Quinn should be obvious, yes, she has a privateer power, which is a heal, but many companions hold powers not of their own class.

I thought it was clever to put Nurse Quinn as a WitchDoctor, but that is just my opinion...
Yes it is a pun on witchdoctor and nurse & KI has a weakness for puns; but this is just confusing.....

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
From a buccaneer standpoint, I think Nadya is the one who most needs an update.

I agree that the monkeys and water moles are even more lame. However, I feel that Nadya has more potential. She is the only companion buccs get that has a healing ability, and prior to this recent update, she was the only one for buccs who could train witch hunter. Now, I could have catbeard and gracie use witch hunter, but I feel like it's not fitting for them. I don't think there is any other character quite like Nadya for buccs so I think she should continue to fulfill her unique roll with heal upgraded to rally, another epic talent or two, and a cool ability that plays on her ability to look into the future. I think "Mustang Gypsy" is also kind of a lame title, she could be promoted to something cooler, like "Mustang Mesmerist."

As for the other classes, their equivalent (eg. nurse quinn, the ghost bison caller guys) should also be leveled up.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Another fix that needs to be added or recalculated is the health and armor of all beginning companions. Most don't even hit 2000 health at level 65, while all the newer companions are at 2200 to 2400 health.

Also, Armor definitely needs to be added or checked because only 17 armor on most swashbucklers and not much especially on the Buccaneer companions is definitely outdated!

I know, a big to do list for ya Ratbeard, but at least we make it hard for you to forget....

Ensign
Nov 02, 2012
Bones mc gee should be buffed too, he needs more epics like true grit burst fire and over watch quick adjust is only so useful on a musketeer and i shouldnt have to train his critical hit card he should already have it. Another companion would be the helephant destroyer, i know privateer companions dont get a lot of love but he should have the power to match up to his title i think he needs some good powers to make up for his lack of power.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
My suggestions for the next promotion for all the classes 1st Companion!

Buccaneer's Kobe Yojimbo: I would love to see him get 2 more epic talents, the ability to cast Fog, an upgrade to assassin's strike, and a call to arms!

Privateer's Egg Shen: I would love to see him get 2 more epic talents, an upgrade to vicious charge, and a Reckless Fury!

Witchdoctor's Kan Po: I would love to see him get 2 more epic talents, an upgrade to Revive, an upgrade to walk in Darkness, and an assassin's strike!

Musketeer's Wing Chun: I would love to see him get 2 more epic talents, an upgrade to Revive, an upgrade to Esprit de corps, and a Valor's Armor!

Swashbuckler's Subodai: I would love to see him get 2 more epic talents, an upgrade to Vicious charge, a leviathan call, and a backstab.

El Toro: I would love to see him finally get a super critical card and 2 more epic talents. An upgrade to Battle Zeal, a Walk in Darkness, and an assassin's strike card.

Old Scratch: Oh my he really needs a good overhaul. I would like to see him get 2 more epic talents, a Mojo Storm, a Mojo Reaver, an upgrade to Jobu's embrace, an upgrade to stygian chorus an a mournsong. Also, he should be able to get mojo rising,

I don't think I see any witchdoctor companions able to get mojo rising, is this intended or an oversight?

Bonnie Anne: I would really like to see her get 1 more epic talent, an upgrade on her heal to 50%, a sniper shot card and a rain of fire.'

Ratbeard: I would really like to see him get 1 more epic talent, a lot more armor, and an upgrade to leviathans call.

This is about all the main companions I can think of atm, I will eventually get to the presidio companions, because they are all great too and I would love to see them get a promotion they deserve too.

Any comments, thoughts, suggestions? Please don't just reply saying NO or way too overpowered, etc, give reasons and thoughts...