Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Lock pick idea

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I was wondering if it would be possible to have or to buy a lock pick skill for when you are on with no one on your list and you find a group chest? This would help the solo players considerably to get some doubloons or when your list is empty late at night.

I realize that I can mark my spot and go hunting for souls but several times once I find someone or three someones when I get back the chest is gone. Several times I had to search so long to find other players that I generally was not surprised it was gone.

Perhaps like sky chat we can do a general broadcast that can reach existing online players that we have a group plunder chest to share?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Apr 15, 2014 wrote:
I was wondering if it would be possible to have or to buy a lock pick skill for when you are on with no one on your list and you find a group chest? This would help the solo players considerably to get some doubloons or when your list is empty late at night.

I realize that I can mark my spot and go hunting for souls but several times once I find someone or three someones when I get back the chest is gone. Several times I had to search so long to find other players that I generally was not surprised it was gone.

Perhaps like sky chat we can do a general broadcast that can reach existing online players that we have a group plunder chest to share?
An area broadcast on menu chat would seem to help this situation, although, being an old AD&D-er ( That's Advanced Dungeons and Dragons for those who don't know ) I love the idea of picking a lock I always played the Rogue.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Ooh, nice idea Chrissy!

Being able to pick a GPC lock would surely help when there are no other friends logged in the game. Maybe they could even implement a lock pick mini-game where you lift, raise and manipulate the lock's pins and tumblers until you pop it open. A lot of great roleplaying games have these lock pick mini games and some of them are actually quite enjoyable (I'm thinking Elder Scrolls Series games), challenging and addictive. Our pirates could have a lock picking skill that raises as they level and successfully pick different locks. Harder chests (with more locks or better loot, I guess) would require a higher skill level and maybe you could only get a certain amount of attempts at it before the chest 'locks you out', thus then having to resort to finding pirates to help you open it.

Or perhaps you could earn lock picks by doing various tasks and if you fail opening a lock your lock pick would break. Once you run out you have to acquire more of them or open them the old fashioned way...with the correct number of friends/pirates.

I like the idea Chrissy, and for those that are on at odd hours, when the Spiral, is a bit emptier- it would give them another way to unlock the chests and not have to leave them due to nobody being around. And if they did implement a lock picking mini-game, lock pick skill w/ leveling and with ways to acquire more picks, I think it would be a neat addition to the game...and a pirate-y one at that!

Gunner's Mate
Oct 12, 2010
First Mate
May 01, 2012

Making your mark is fine as long as you are not in a dungeon with a Sigil or in a dungeon and the Mark Button is grayed out. If that happens, then hopefully someone can port in and stay there while you go looking for another player(s) or, maybe, that someone could go looking for other players.

I like your idea of a lock pick. Unfortunately, that gets around the idea of what the GPCs are for as I understand them.

I also like your idea of a general broadcast and this is something that might work with a little tweaking. Instead of announcing to the world though, maybe it could link you with another player so you could talk and port (as if you were Friends) to get together to open the GPC. You might have to do this three times at a minimum for four lock chests, but I think that this would be better than a general broadcast. With a general broadcast, there would probably be a big race for helping you open the chest and I could see all the people logged on porting in to try to help open the chest with most of them being very disappointed about not being there early enough. Get disappointed like this too long and I know I would no longer respond to such broadcasts.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I know I am having even more issues with too short of a friends list. * Looks pleadingly at the developer responsible for this * . I now have to delete yellow starred friends to add strangers so they can help me open a chest. It makes me feel like I am selling out a friend for a doubloon. Many times I have just sighed and passed it on by because I did not want to chose who to delete just for a chest. I am really hating having to get rid of someone just because they haven't been on in a while when I still feel they may be back or I take off someone just because I haven't connected at the same time in the game for a bit. I do wish there was a way to have someone port to you without having to be a friend. Like giving some three folks temporary porting privileges. Is that even doable?

Ensign
Jan 12, 2012
Lock Picking sounds like a great idea. Perhaps something like Wizard101's Shock-a-Lock, only with multiple locks, and perhaps requiring lock picks from a vendor that would be in a hidden location.

Ensign
Jan 29, 2011
I have an idea for the lock pick you could open it like you open a silver chest in wizard101

Ensign
Feb 03, 2010
This idea is great, especially for people like me who get on at unusual times (life is busy for me, and my friends are all Wiz fans so I'm usually alone) but I feel like it removes the purpose of GPCs in the first place. It'll probably be crowns (like the second chance chests) and the more locks, the more crowns required to open it. Maybe like 100 crowns per lock? I dunno.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
SAR28 on Apr 21, 2014 wrote:
I have an idea for the lock pick you could open it like you open a silver chest in wizard101
Oh my goodness, please no, not that! I never could get anywhere with that game. Lol. My eye hand coordination just isn't refined enough for that.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
I thought the intended purpose of the group chests were explicitly to encourage more group play. Your suggestion is counter to the purpose of introducing the chests.

"A big take away we've had from those who've played Pirate101 is that they’d like more opportunities to interact with other players. This makes a lot of sense for an MMO, and this update strives on multiple levels to do just this. Group Plunder chests are just one of these new features."

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/more-information-about-the-upcoming-update-8ad6a41a449189b701450e0fd992193c

I believe Ratbeard already has a way to get Doubloons for solo players......it just isn't ironed out yet. However, I'm assuming it will involve a process completely separate from the chests, in order to keep players using the chests for encouraging grouping.

"And I think we'll undoubtedly have a way (or several ways) to get Doubloons into the hands of solo players." -Ratbeard

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/test-realm/group-plunder-chest-and-doubloons-questions-8ad6a416452182d901452520ea426c1e

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Oran from Urz on Apr 21, 2014 wrote:
I thought the intended purpose of the group chests were explicitly to encourage more group play. Your suggestion is counter to the purpose of introducing the chests.

"A big take away we've had from those who've played Pirate101 is that they’d like more opportunities to interact with other players. This makes a lot of sense for an MMO, and this update strives on multiple levels to do just this. Group Plunder chests are just one of these new features."

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/more-information-about-the-upcoming-update-8ad6a41a449189b701450e0fd992193c

I believe Ratbeard already has a way to get Doubloons for solo players......it just isn't ironed out yet. However, I'm assuming it will involve a process completely separate from the chests, in order to keep players using the chests for encouraging grouping.

"And I think we'll undoubtedly have a way (or several ways) to get Doubloons into the hands of solo players." -Ratbeard

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/test-realm/group-plunder-chest-and-doubloons-questions-8ad6a416452182d901452520ea426c1e
I am well aware of that and I love the concept. I am on referring to the times when it is late at night and my list is empty and Skull Island is a ghost town. I have lost track of the 4 lock chests I have had to abandon because I could not find three other players. Perhaps in live game it will be a bit easier but I know from experience that it is really hard to find folks in live in the wee hours of the morning.

Petty Officer
Apr 15, 2010
Petty Officer
Apr 15, 2010
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 15, 2014 wrote:
Ooh, nice idea Chrissy!

Being able to pick a GPC lock would surely help when there are no other friends logged in the game. Maybe they could even implement a lock pick mini-game where you lift, raise and manipulate the lock's pins and tumblers until you pop it open. A lot of great roleplaying games have these lock pick mini games and some of them are actually quite enjoyable (I'm thinking Elder Scrolls Series games), challenging and addictive. Our pirates could have a lock picking skill that raises as they level and successfully pick different locks. Harder chests (with more locks or better loot, I guess) would require a higher skill level and maybe you could only get a certain amount of attempts at it before the chest 'locks you out', thus then having to resort to finding pirates to help you open it.

Or perhaps you could earn lock picks by doing various tasks and if you fail opening a lock your lock pick would break. Once you run out you have to acquire more of them or open them the old fashioned way...with the correct number of friends/pirates.

I like the idea Chrissy, and for those that are on at odd hours, when the Spiral, is a bit emptier- it would give them another way to unlock the chests and not have to leave them due to nobody being around. And if they did implement a lock picking mini-game, lock pick skill w/ leveling and with ways to acquire more picks, I think it would be a neat addition to the game...and a pirate-y one at that!
Like in the elder scrolls games (preferably skyrim seeing as the oblivion lock system is so impossible) but what would happen if you like got caught? could there be a guard system and i jail system to make it so they aren't over used and powered?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
the purple captian on Apr 21, 2014 wrote:
Like in the elder scrolls games (preferably skyrim seeing as the oblivion lock system is so impossible) but what would happen if you like got caught? could there be a guard system and i jail system to make it so they aren't over used and powered?
Lol, so very true. Oblivion's system was pretty difficult at first but after a short while I got pretty good at it and it wasn't too bad at all. Skyrim's was definitely much easier and simpler right from the get go. Interesting idea on the jail, but I personally don't think that would fit in too well with the game or younger players, currently...I think if a system or mini-game was put into place (which I am leaning towards it not being- but we can dream, can't we?), that it would be kept fun and entertaining for kids and adults alike- and it of course would be totally optional. And unlike the Elder Scrolls, where lock picks were soooo easy to come by, the challenge could come from actually having to find or obtain the picks themselves.

You know, make it so that only a small amount could even be obtainable (through quests or tasks) in a certain world- kind of like practice points, through Zeke's quests (maybe just not as long as some of his). That way you would at least have the chance to acquire them, but wouldn't be walking around with hundreds of them like in the Elder Scrolls games, thus avoiding group effort opening of GPCs. If lock picks were ever to be introduced, I have a hunch that they would be "Crown Purchase" only items, and no mini game or system would even be involved. Hey, KI's gotta pay their hardworking employees somehow, right?

Ensign
Nov 28, 2009
Oran from Urz on Apr 21, 2014 wrote:

I think the idea of getting doubloons into solo players is being worked on, as we've been assured before by Ratbeard, but in test I've also seen the problem of playing alone or others needing help with a chest or too many locks as the list gets longer for the concern.

I think the Lock Pick idea is a Great idea, after all, we are Pirates!

A hard or long quest or leveled quests could become an issue for some players, me included, but if the idea was to get players together, they will in combat just like the do for farming great drops, and some will when players are around to ask, but I can see the friend's list problem too, and passing up chests would seem unfair to anyone who has to make that choice, not just solo players, and then there are the times when too many show up in an effort to get enough.

All that leads to frustration and disappointment that spreads far beyond a limited ability player but to all players who experience that one chest they can't open.

Why would it be so bad to keep the locks on battle won chests for player group encouragement, since a solo player will never have a locked box drop, did I remember that right?, so groups only will get locked boxes, thus you'd want to have groups, goal achieved - players will want those chests more and group more.

but for random boxes, simple quests in main entry areas to get a pick or up to how many picks for whatever the limit of locks on random boxes is in that world, do the quest, get the picks, if you have 4 locks and 2 people with 2 picks each, now you can do 4 locks.

Players choice to repeat quest for picks up to 4 or not for solo chests with 4 locks. but it puts it back in the player's choice if quest is, yes, meaningless task as many side quests are, but if you want random chests to unlock, its worth it, if not, battle in groups, seems simple.

KI gets game time, players have choices and are able to complete the simpler tasks in main areas so they don't end up in deeper area without enough picks, and players who want more plunder will group more for battle when they can.

Is it a win/win or am I over simplifying it? Then a chest never has to be passed up if found random.

Or did I just confuse everyone?

Basically, each world seems to have some beginning simple side quests to see the common area, just add lock pick quests, simple quests as each world has some, but necessary for the picks. Players chooses to do it or not.

Just a thought. Oh, and still find the other ways to get solo players those doubloons, but this way you can have the best loot in battle chests as the best loot is in battle anyway, (as far as items other than doubloons), to further encourage group play. still meets goal.

If its too confusing the way I tried to say it, please go for better wording, but I'm sure many of you know what I'm trying to say.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
cat agate on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
I think the idea of getting doubloons into solo players is being worked on, as we've been assured before by Ratbeard, but in test I've also seen the problem of playing alone or others needing help with a chest or too many locks as the list gets longer for the concern.

I think the Lock Pick idea is a Great idea, after all, we are Pirates!

A hard or long quest or leveled quests could become an issue for some players, me included, but if the idea was to get players together, they will in combat just like the do for farming great drops, and some will when players are around to ask, but I can see the friend's list problem too, and passing up chests would seem unfair to anyone who has to make that choice, not just solo players, and then there are the times when too many show up in an effort to get enough.

All that leads to frustration and disappointment that spreads far beyond a limited ability player but to all players who experience that one chest they can't open.

Why would it be so bad to keep the locks on battle won chests for player group encouragement, since a solo player will never have a locked box drop, did I remember that right?, so groups only will get locked boxes, thus you'd want to have groups, goal achieved - players will want those chests more and group more.

but for random boxes, simple quests in main entry areas to get a pick or up to how many picks for whatever the limit of locks on random boxes is in that world, do the quest, get the picks, if you have 4 locks and 2 people with 2 picks each, now you can do 4 locks.

Players choice to repeat quest for picks up to 4 or not for solo chests with 4 locks. but it puts it back in the player's choice if quest is, yes, meaningless task as many side quests are, but if you want random chests to unlock, its worth it, if not, battle in groups, seems simple.

KI gets game time, players have choices and are able to complete the simpler tasks in main areas so they don't end up in deeper area without enough picks, and players who want more plunder will group more for battle when they can.

Is it a win/win or am I over simplifying it? Then a chest never has to be passed up if found random.

Or did I just confuse everyone?

Basically, each world seems to have some beginning simple side quests to see the common area, just add lock pick quests, simple quests as each world has some, but necessary for the picks. Players chooses to do it or not.

Just a thought. Oh, and still find the other ways to get solo players those doubloons, but this way you can have the best loot in battle chests as the best loot is in battle anyway, (as far as items other than doubloons), to further encourage group play. still meets goal.

If its too confusing the way I tried to say it, please go for better wording, but I'm sure many of you know what I'm trying to say.
I understood you perfectly and it sounds like you think along the same lines as us other "Odd hour" players.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Cat Agate,

That is a neat angle (although is probably even harder work to program). Keeping group chests with group locks only available to actual groups (2, 3 or 4) after a victory and allowing a lock pick system for the "found" group chests seems reasonable, keeps the spirit of the "group up" intention and allows a mechanism for solo players to get Doubloons until Ratbeard's forthcoming idea gets implemented.