Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Some more questions about the game

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
Hey, so I noticed Blind Mew's story threads where he answers people's questions, whether the questions be about the updates or not.

I do have some questions about the update, and I hope you staff of P101 can answer them all.

Update Questions:

1: I know you can't say when the update will come out, but do you have a rough prediction when the update might come out?
I just simply can't wait for the update! But it's probably gonna take until the end of the year just for the update to come out, and I can understand why.

2: Would you guys announce the updates that is going to come out when you're like 95% done with the debugging/updates/etc?
This probably a no to this question, I'm just so very antsy for the update.

3: How many bugs have you encountered when working on the new update?
Must probably be thousands of bugs.

Non-Update Questions:

1: What world are the following character/enemies from?
-Catbeard
-Barnabus
-Ophidians
The Ophidian Warriors have this Arabic theme when they critical, giving a slight hint that they may not be from Aquila, and are most likely from Krokotopia or something. Plus, their fortress isn't a ruin at all unlike the rest of Aquila. On the other hand, some say Catbeard is from Skull Island, others say he is from Marleybone.

2: I kind of find the beginning of the game hard to understand, as it is nothing related to El Dorado yet. Why do we go to Monquista? Why do all this stuff before knowing about El Dorado?
No joke. I'm like "Why do we do this and then that and such and such?" The beginning of the storyline is...questionable to me. What reason do we have to go to Monquista? And what about the Isle of Doom and Tradewinds Skyway, etc? All before knowing about El Dorado.

3: When does the Test Realm open?
So there's this Test Realm that I hear about at some times. When does it open for testing? Also, does the Test Realm give you access to everything like a test MMO should?

I have more questions about the update, but you would say "That would be telling" (Blind Mew) or "It's a (Dun Dun Dun!) Mystery!" (One-Eyed Jack) If I have other questions, i'll ask them.

Administrator
Update question responses!
1- Had you asked me this back in November, December, January, or February (and many did), my answer would still be the same as it is today . . . "We haven’t yet made any announcements concerning the next chapter of Pirate101; however, we are always hard at work on improving our players’ game and creating new worlds. Stay subscribed to the normal news outlets for information as it become available." . . . And you’re right! I simply can’t say. Read on to see why.

2- I'm sorry everyone is antsy. Believe me, the general atmosphere of a gaming company with an MMO focus such as KingsIsle is always "antsy" as we are constantly trying to improve our games with updates and can never keep up with the demand for new content from our players! If I could just give you a date I would, but unfortunately I can't, and I want you to know we do love the players and listen to feedback (case in point, the Pirate101 survey many players took several months ago). We'll definitely talk more about that when an actual update is out there on the test realm for y'all to test. I realize patience is hard to ask for at this point for many people, so I'm not going to ask for it. Everyone's excitement is infectious and understandable! Of course, we could take the policy that for every time we're asked about a new update to Pirate101, we delay it another day. (Just kidding of course.)

3- Many. An even better question would be "how many opportunities for quality improvement, feature enhancement, and polish have you encountered when working on the new update?" This would be a greater amount. Obviously our hope is that you (and all the new pirates playing Pirate101 in the future) enjoy Pirate101 to its fullest. We’re committed to that reality. That given, a particular core combat system and other introductory aspects of Pirate101 are in a fluid situation right now, and this also means it’s a very creative time for us, which is also why any perceived schedule may seem delayed. In fact, certain aspects of Pirate101 after this next update might feel like a new experience--one that brings strategy and fun to the forefront in ways that you probably aren’t going to expect. It’s very exciting and will require some heavy testing from our players. You’ll be hearing more about this in the future.

Non-update responses!
1- What world? How about "The adventurous world of Pirate101!" (our story writers would definitely have better insight, but they’re very busy at the moment and we need them to focus on story crafting.)

2- You're an orphan pirate who just nearly escaped from an evil Armada clockwork elite thanks to a slightly crazy and legendary pirate and a talking monkey. It's pretty understandable that you'd be a bit confused at first. Other than that, the first part of the game is very much a prologue to Skull Island and its internal conflicts and sets up the remainder of Pirate101 where you discover a much more nefarious plot than you ever imagined is at hand (Again, our beloved Blind Mew would definitely have a better answer than that.)

3- The Test Realm opens when we have major updates that need exactly that . . . testing! The standard qualifications and notes about Test Realm would be as follows:

• This is a Test Realm available to Subscribers Only.
• You will use the same Login and Password that you use in the Live Realm.
• What you do in the Test Realm does NOT affect your characters in the Live Realm.
• Any items you receive or levels you achieve in this Test Realm will not carry over to your Live characters.
• You will not have any Crowns on this Test Realm.
• Your characters may be erased from this Test Realm at any time without warning. This will not affect your Live characters.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
Oh, I see why you can't tell a lot about the new update.

Also, you didn't understand what I meant about that first "Non-update" question it seems. "World" as in "Game World" such as Skull Island. So the question would be "Is Catbeard from Skull Island or Marleybone?" "What Game World is Barnabus from?" and "Are those Ophidians from Aquila, Krokotopia or elsewhere in the Spiral?"

Question about Valencia: Why would you have the player get the Red Windstone in order to get to Valencia (Part 2) instead of using the Indigo Windstone which you use to go to Dragonspyre (Or Avernus) and Valencia (Part 1)? It seems weird to use a different Windstone to travel to a different skyway of Valencia.

Administrator
itsamemario4 on Mar 7, 2014 wrote:

Also, you didn't understand what I meant about that first "Non-update" question it seems. "World" as in "Game World" such as Skull Island. So the question would be "Is Catbeard from Skull Island or Marleybone?" "What Game World is Barnabus from?" and "Are those Ophidians from Aquila, Krokotopia or elsewhere in the Spiral?"

Question about Valencia: Why would you have the player get the Red Windstone in order to get to Valencia (Part 2) instead of using the Indigo Windstone which you use to go to Dragonspyre (Or Avernus) and Valencia (Part 1)? It seems weird to use a different Windstone to travel to a different skyway of Valencia.
1- I understood your question. I was just giving you a non-answer because I didn't have the right answer.

2- I don't know if you've seen this, but Blind Mew gave a very interesting answer about the color of windstones . . . Perhaps that will help answer your question?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 7, 2014 wrote:
1- Had you asked me this back in November, December, January, or February (and many did), my answer would still be the same as it is today . . . "We haven’t yet made any announcements concerning the next chapter of Pirate101; however, we are always hard at work on improving our players’ game and creating new worlds. Stay subscribed to the normal news outlets for information as it become available." . . . And you’re right! I simply can’t say. Read on to see why.

2- I'm sorry everyone is antsy. Believe me, the general atmosphere of a gaming company with an MMO focus such as KingsIsle is always "antsy" as we are constantly trying to improve our games with updates and can never keep up with the demand for new content from our players! If I could just give you a date I would, but unfortunately I can't, and I want you to know we do love the players and listen to feedback (case in point, the Pirate101 survey many players took several months ago). We'll definitely talk more about that when an actual update is out there on the test realm for y'all to test. I realize patience is hard to ask for at this point for many people, so I'm not going to ask for it. Everyone's excitement is infectious and understandable! Of course, we could take the policy that for every time we're asked about a new update to Pirate101, we delay it another day. (Just kidding of course.)

3- Many. An even better question would be "how many opportunities for quality improvement, feature enhancement, and polish have you encountered when working on the new update?" This would be a greater amount. Obviously our hope is that you (and all the new pirates playing Pirate101 in the future) enjoy Pirate101 to its fullest. We’re committed to that reality. That given, a particular core combat system and other introductory aspects of Pirate101 are in a fluid situation right now, and this also means it’s a very creative time for us, which is also why any perceived schedule may seem delayed. In fact, certain aspects of Pirate101 after this next update might feel like a new experience--one that brings strategy and fun to the forefront in ways that you probably aren’t going to expect. It’s very exciting and will require some heavy testing from our players. You’ll be hearing more about this in the future.

Non-update responses!
1- What world? How about "The adventurous world of Pirate101!" (our story writers would definitely have better insight, but they’re very busy at the moment and we need them to focus on story crafting.)

2- You're an orphan pirate who just nearly escaped from an evil Armada clockwork elite thanks to a slightly crazy and legendary pirate and a talking monkey. It's pretty understandable that you'd be a bit confused at first. Other than that, the first part of the game is very much a prologue to Skull Island and its internal conflicts and sets up the remainder of Pirate101 where you discover a much more nefarious plot than you ever imagined is at hand (Again, our beloved Blind Mew would definitely have a better answer than that.)

3- The Test Realm opens when we have major updates that need exactly that . . . testing! The standard qualifications and notes about Test Realm would be as follows:

• What you do in the Test Realm does NOT affect your characters in the Live Realm.
• Any items you receive or levels you achieve in this Test Realm will not carry over to your Live characters.
• Your characters may be erased from this Test Realm at any time without warning. This will not affect your Live characters.
Brilliant as usual Jack. Hopefully this will settle a lot of antsyness and the general playership can just sit back and enjoy all the great features we have so far and let you guys just do what you do best, create more awesomeness for us.

I have yet to run out of things to do with training companions up on maxed pirates, leveling up younger pirates, helping out other players to build their nautical xp or to get gold for companion training to farming bosses to update the Wiki on Central. I always have stuff to do and options depending on who is on or if I am on alone. The fun just never stops.

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
Jack, I feel really dorky for saying this, but what is your definition of "subscriber"? Like subscribed to what?

Administrator
Witty Gavin on Mar 8, 2014 wrote:
Jack, I feel really dorky for saying this, but what is your definition of "subscriber"? Like subscribed to what?
Good call out. It's a line of text I've been copying from Wizard101 for a long time. Perhaps we should change that particular line to "This is a Test Realm available to current members of Pirate101 Only." (Of course, now that I've typed that I'm going to have to double check when I'm back in the office that the statement is true, but as of 7:08am on a sleepy Saturday morning, I don't think Wizard101 "Subscribers" or "Members" are allowed access to the Pirate101 Test Realm. Stay tuned.)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
1- I understood your question. I was just giving you a non-answer because I didn't have the right answer.

2- I don't know if you've seen this, but Blind Mew gave a very interesting answer about the color of windstones . . . Perhaps that will help answer your question?
Thanks Jack, that was a fun link. It is really a strange feeling re reading Mew's cryptic answers to questions that we now know the answers to. It a bizarre mental path that feels like I am "in" on the secret as Mew almost answers the questions. I am really liking it. Now I am gonna have to go back and re read all the older stuff just to enjoy the feeling of "knowing", lol.

Administrator
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 8, 2014 wrote:
Good call out. It's a line of text I've been copying from Wizard101 for a long time. Perhaps we should change that particular line to "This is a Test Realm available to current members of Pirate101 Only." (Of course, now that I've typed that I'm going to have to double check when I'm back in the office that the statement is true, but as of 7:08am on a sleepy Saturday morning, I don't think Wizard101 "Subscribers" or "Members" are allowed access to the Pirate101 Test Realm. Stay tuned.)
Just to further clarify the idea of "subscriber":

- Test Realms are available to Members with an Active Membership.
- Test Realms are also available to Crowns Players who have made a purchase of $6 or more in the last 30 days.
- Test Realms are NOT available to Free to Play Players.

Thanks!

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
itsamemario4 on Mar 7, 2014 wrote:

Hiya! I think I can help you out with your question about Valencia.

If I recall correctly, the first time we enter Valencia is in sort of an undercover mission -- we don't want to be caught, and the less people (and clockworks) who know that we're there, the better. I believe Blind Mew compared this with the Death Star act in Star Wars. We need to get in and out quickly and undetected, thus, it would be really difficult to go into Valencia (part 2) the same way without getting immediately caught. For this, we would need to enter Valencia differently than in the past, in a different skyway than before, which requires a new stormgate, and ultimately a new windstone, which a lot of players have assumed is the red windstone.

Also, Avernus is very difficult and feared by many, and we are the Avernus Daredevils (This badge is hard earned, my friend, and unique to us pirates). Though, seriously, would you want to go through that hectic place again just to get to Valencia? I sure wouldn't!

Hope this helps!

~ Lizzy ~

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
@JSB: Oh, I see. So that's why we don't stay in Valencia for long.

I just hope you developers put in more scenery in valencia and creatures than just floating town/city islands with just armada for enemies, and probably some Valencians. Valencia definitely needs more exotic things like strange creatures, some forests and mountains or something, anything.

More questions.

1: Is there a possibility that the update would come out at the end of the year?
One person said that the update would probably come out between now and December 31st. (Help me...Antsiness is taking over my body...)

2: Are you guys adding like a bazillion things to the update?
Lol, exaggeration.

3: I'm maxed on my Musketeer, i've gotten all the Partners I can get, and did almost all promotion quests except for Duck Holiday's. Now what?
Not sure what I can do next. I can't get past Dread Manticore in "The Contest of Champions", so that's kinda out.

Administrator
itsamemario4 on Mar 12, 2014 wrote:
@JSB: Oh, I see. So that's why we don't stay in Valencia for long.

I just hope you developers put in more scenery in valencia and creatures than just floating town/city islands with just armada for enemies, and probably some Valencians. Valencia definitely needs more exotic things like strange creatures, some forests and mountains or something, anything.

More questions.

1: Is there a possibility that the update would come out at the end of the year?
One person said that the update would probably come out between now and December 31st. (Help me...Antsiness is taking over my body...)

2: Are you guys adding like a bazillion things to the update?
Lol, exaggeration.

3: I'm maxed on my Musketeer, i've gotten all the Partners I can get, and did almost all promotion quests except for Duck Holiday's. Now what?
Not sure what I can do next. I can't get past Dread Manticore in "The Contest of Champions", so that's kinda out.
1- Our next update that will require some quality time in a Test Realm environment will arrive much sooner than the end of the year. Much sooner by far!

2- Yes. One bazillion. Actually, it is something that's getting so full we've had to let little bits and pieces leak out since December 10th. "While we’re preparing Pirate101 for a much larger update coming in the future, we still felt there were a few pressing items we could no longer wait to introduce . . ."

3- Captain Dread also had this question recently!

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
Oh, I totally forgot to ask these questions too:

4: True of False: The Wizard101 Test Realm goes up before the Pirate101 Test Realm.
You can't have both of them open at the same time. Someone said that Wizard101 testing go esup first. Is this true?

5: If someone goes on the test realm and makes a TR Pirate, will they have to play the game like on the live realm to reach the updates?
A test realm should allow access to the updates right away instead of having to work yourself over and over again just to reach it. (Like the Live Realm) Toontown (Before it closed) had a test realm and you had to play the game like on the live realm. What kind of Test Realm is Pirate101's?

6: Once the update comes, will Boochbeard and Gandry let all the players that have finished the storyline so far know the update has come?
There must be some way for maxed pirates to know the storyline has continued, and the update has come.

7: How do you obtain the "MooShu Mystic" Badge?
Nobody knows how to get this Badge. I'm trying to get that Pet that comes with this badge. I'm not sure if this was answered/hinted or not.

I got the feeling that when the update comes, the PvP arenas will be less active, and Avery's Office and the new worlds will be flooded.

That's all the questions I got about the update and other things. Thanks for answering my questions, One-Eyed Jack! See you around the Spiral!

Petty Alicia Cog, Level 65 Musketeer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
itsamemario4 on Mar 13, 2014 wrote:
Oh, I totally forgot to ask these questions too:

4: True of False: The Wizard101 Test Realm goes up before the Pirate101 Test Realm.
You can't have both of them open at the same time. Someone said that Wizard101 testing go esup first. Is this true?

5: If someone goes on the test realm and makes a TR Pirate, will they have to play the game like on the live realm to reach the updates?
A test realm should allow access to the updates right away instead of having to work yourself over and over again just to reach it. (Like the Live Realm) Toontown (Before it closed) had a test realm and you had to play the game like on the live realm. What kind of Test Realm is Pirate101's?

6: Once the update comes, will Boochbeard and Gandry let all the players that have finished the storyline so far know the update has come?
There must be some way for maxed pirates to know the storyline has continued, and the update has come.

7: How do you obtain the "MooShu Mystic" Badge?
Nobody knows how to get this Badge. I'm trying to get that Pet that comes with this badge. I'm not sure if this was answered/hinted or not.

I got the feeling that when the update comes, the PvP arenas will be less active, and Avery's Office and the new worlds will be flooded.

That's all the questions I got about the update and other things. Thanks for answering my questions, One-Eyed Jack! See you around the Spiral!

Petty Alicia Cog, Level 65 Musketeer
I can help with a few of these.
5) What you do in the Test Realm stays in the Test Realm. It is a copy of the live game, not the game itself. It is not really a waste of time to redo the quests because since it is in Test things are really in a fluid state and many changes can happen before things reach the live game. The last time the Test Realm was up for the updates of Marleybone and Aquila things were very different when it opened up in live.
6) Reading the updates page will inform you as to what changes have happened and when they happen. You will also hear about it by reading the Newsletters and the Tradewinds Tribune.
7) The Mooshu Mystic Badge is completed when you do all the quests in Mooshu given by monks. Look for guys that look like Egg Shen, Kan Po, and Wing Chun. Here is a link where other good tips are given.

Ensign
Nov 18, 2012

Non-update responses!

Hey Jack,

When you said we won't have any crowns on this test realm did you mean we won't have our normal live realm crowns balance, or we won't have any crowns at all? I think we usually have some free crowns that only appear on the test realm for testing purposes.

Nikki

Administrator
N1ckee on Mar 20, 2014 wrote:
Hey Jack,

When you said we won't have any crowns on this test realm did you mean we won't have our normal live realm crowns balance, or we won't have any crowns at all? I think we usually have some free crowns that only appear on the test realm for testing purposes.

Nikki
That line is rarely used and most often deleted. The next Test Realm will have a Crowns balance!

Developer
Missed this post before - I'll chime in on the non-update bits (which Jack handled more than sufficiently)...

1: What world are the following character/enemies from?
-Catbeard
-Barnabus
-Ophidians
The Ophidian Warriors have this Arabic theme when they critical, giving a slight hint that they may not be from Aquila, and are most likely from Krokotopia or something. Plus, their fortress isn't a ruin at all unlike the rest of Aquila. On the other hand, some say Catbeard is from Skull Island, others say he is from Marleybone.

• Catbeard's from Marleybone, I figure. He's spent a long time sailing, and has gone full pirate.
  • Barnabus and the Sloths - their homeworld has yet to be revealed. I'm content to leave it vague until the story should require us to go there.
  • The Ophidians - they are native to Aquila. They're meant to be Mesopotamian/Persian/Hittite, the Near Eastern enemies of the Greco-Roman Eagles. They might be distant kin to the reptiles in Krok, but they're not nearly Egyptian enough.
2: I kind of find the beginning of the game hard to understand, as it is nothing related to El Dorado yet. Why do we go to Monquista? Why do all this stuff before knowing about El Dorado?
No joke. I'm like "Why do we do this and then that and such and such?" The beginning of the storyline is...questionable to me. What reason do we have to go to Monquista? And what about the Isle of Doom and Tradewinds Skyway, etc? All before knowing about El Dorado.

This was a very deliberate decision - I didn't want to jump into the quest for the Map and El Dorado right away. We introduce the Armada in the Tutorial, and keep them on the periphery in their appearance on the Isle of Doom, but i wanted you to have a section of the story where your pirate could just be a pirate, and get established in the Skull island swing of things, as well as get introduced to some of the variety in the Spiral. Sorry if it's not your cup of tea - but I hope what comes after makes up for it.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
It seems to me like Orphidians come from Aquila, they fit it so well!

I think in the future, kingsisle should create a medieval game world that Barnabas should be from.

~Dead-eye Octavio Devereaux, level 65 Witchdoctor~

~Fearful Zane Parker, level 57 Buccaneer~

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
@Blind Mew: Thank you so much for helping me get that out of my head. Too bad we don't know where Barnabus is from...yet. Oh, and thanks for letting me know about the storyline not being jumped on right away.

I'm sorry to really say this, but I still have questions. An answerer's job is never done.

1: It's good to know the update will come this Spring. But will the test realm be up sometime soon?
...Or will we have to wait until May/June for the update? Some of my friends say the Test Realm was up before Marleybone and Aquila came out. Some say otherwise. Who is correct?

...Ugh, I forgot that other question I was going to ask. Once I remember it, i'll write it down on a sticky note.

Petty Alicia Cog Level 65 Musketeer

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I got questions about our Companions. Since we're getting Advanced Companions, are we able to finally let our Companions roam free in player housing like how our Pets and Mounts are going to be? I've been asking you to have this request happen in the game for quite a time, and I hope we get to see our recruited Companions roam freely in our houses.

Also, does the new system renovates how Companions receive Epics and Talents as they level up? If so, then I would be excited to see our Companions, from major and side quests, perform amazing new powers they can only get on their own.

Lieutenant
Dec 02, 2009
I have one question are there going to be any new realms in the next released update . If yes great .If no what is the point are you only doing this to satiate are hunger for new content if so dont I can wait tell new realms come out.I never liked wizards pets or the pet system . There was no point to it so please dont do it to pirates