Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Has the Theme been Thrown?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 22, 2011
So, Skull Island, right? Nice and tropical, salt water, typical Pirates of the Caribbean setting. Then we get to Monquista, and things get funky. Not pirate at all. Then to Cool Ranch and cowboys? I think they're throwing the theme too far, because if i'm correct, monks, cowboys, and ninjas had nothing to do with pirates.

Wolf Hawkins- 63

Developer
General Jack Squat on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
So, Skull Island, right? Nice and tropical, salt water, typical Pirates of the Caribbean setting. Then we get to Monquista, and things get funky. Not pirate at all. Then to Cool Ranch and cowboys? I think they're throwing the theme too far, because if i'm correct, monks, cowboys, and ninjas had nothing to do with pirates.

Wolf Hawkins- 63
A similar concern got raised in the big story questions thread. Short answer: 200+ hours of Skull Island content might get a bit boring.

This is the Spiral: there are lots of flavors. Wizard101 wanders all over the place, and so do we. And, i think you'll find that we tend to aim toward swashbuckling wherever you go: there's more than a little Errol Flynn in El Toro, and Books 8 and 13 draw a lot of inspiration from the Napoleonic wars which, while not in the golden age of piracy, were definitely age of sail.

You are correct: monks, cowboys, and ninjas had nothing to do with pirates. But then, talking dogs didn't either...

The theme is adventure, naval battles, derring do, and skullduggery done with a heart of gold. And humor. Lots of humor. Do the ends justify the means? That's the real theme, and we're still exploring the question. It hasn't been thrown at all, however much the surface trappings might change.

Could we use more pirate content? I'll concede that. The promotion quests and trainer quests draw you back to Skull Island pretty frequently, but I'm hoping in the future to have even more reasons to go back there, and to stay longer.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
"Piracy is typically an act of robbery or criminal violence at sea. The term can include acts committed on land, in the air, or in other major bodies of water or on a shore."

Real-life pirates exist in far more places than the "golden age piracy" most famous in the Carribean areas. Pirates off the coasts of Africa, in the South China sea, and internet piracy (illegal download/copies) continue to this day. Piracy has expanded beyond the tropical salt water venue and is no longer the sole definitive context.

Seems Pirate101 has expanded piracy to the fictional universe started by Wizard101. If real-life cowboys, monks, and ninjas used ships for their freight or goods, I'm sure they would have a pirate problem too.

Besides, nothing can be as far fetched as Disney's version (we all know the world is round...not flat!!)

Ensign
Dec 22, 2012
Oh I get humor. Hearing Bonnie Anne and Ratbeard bickering is a lot of humor. Too much actually

Justin Chamberlain
Knight of the Order of Fetch

Ensign
May 22, 2011
Wow, you have really opened up my eyes. I get it, one huge storyline in Skull Island would be boring. I'm sorry

-Wolf Hawkins, 65 (Got to Max Level!)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Blind Mew on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
A similar concern got raised in the big story questions thread. Short answer: 200+ hours of Skull Island content might get a bit boring.

This is the Spiral: there are lots of flavors. Wizard101 wanders all over the place, and so do we. And, i think you'll find that we tend to aim toward swashbuckling wherever you go: there's more than a little Errol Flynn in El Toro, and Books 8 and 13 draw a lot of inspiration from the Napoleonic wars which, while not in the golden age of piracy, were definitely age of sail.

You are correct: monks, cowboys, and ninjas had nothing to do with pirates. But then, talking dogs didn't either...

The theme is adventure, naval battles, derring do, and skullduggery done with a heart of gold. And humor. Lots of humor. Do the ends justify the means? That's the real theme, and we're still exploring the question. It hasn't been thrown at all, however much the surface trappings might change.

Could we use more pirate content? I'll concede that. The promotion quests and trainer quests draw you back to Skull Island pretty frequently, but I'm hoping in the future to have even more reasons to go back there, and to stay longer.
As per usual, well said Blind Mew, very well said.

Developer
General Jack Squat on Jan 28, 2014 wrote:
Wow, you have really opened up my eyes. I get it, one huge storyline in Skull Island would be boring. I'm sorry

-Wolf Hawkins, 65 (Got to Max Level!)
No worries. After Aquila went so far into he realm of fantasy, I'm thinking a reminder of good ol' Skull Island is in order.