Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Request for tweak in game chatting system

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I would like to ask if it is possible to have our in-game chatting system be like the Wizard on in this feature: When you want to scroll back and see something you missed because there is a lot of chatting being done in your area it is almost impossible because as soon as someone says something it tosses you down to the last line in the box. You lose your place in where you were scrolling back every time someone hits Enter. You have to go to your dorm and just Hope no one private messages you while you try to scroll back and see what you missed the first time. It is truly annoying and boarders on infuriating. There are many times I want to scroll back to verify something either I said or what someone else said before I comment on it. Especially if I had to go afk for a short while, I like to scroll back and see if anyone private messaged me while I was away bit it is Very difficult to do this.

Please can this be adjusted I am totally aware that such a priority will be after the update rush but once things settle down can this be put on a 'Developer Do' list

Thank you so much. It will be greatly appreciated by me and the many other players I have heard fussing about this same issue.

Administrator
Just a question, have you tried pressing enter and then using your scroll wheel on your mouse to scroll your chat? I'm in the Spar Chamber listening to some players chat, and I seem to be able to keep my place in the chat window.

I will forward this on for discussion.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Jan 17, 2014 wrote:
Just a question, have you tried pressing enter and then using your scroll wheel on your mouse to scroll your chat? I'm in the Spar Chamber listening to some players chat, and I seem to be able to keep my place in the chat window.

Wow, I never thought to try that. Since I wasn't in "I'm gonna say something" mode, it just never occurred to me. What a fantastic solution to the problem. Thank you tremendously Jack. You have done it again. *Bows in gratitude with a perfectly executed Anne Radcliffeish flourish of the hat.*

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012

I've tried that, Jack, and as soon as someone posts an new text, the field jumps back to the bottom. What does help me review chat messages in a crowded place (like the Brawling Hall) is to click and drag out the chat window. This way my view of the chat field includes many more texts, and new texts have less affect on the text I'm currently trying to read.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012

I've noticed this as well. Whenever someone says something in the chat it tends to bring your chat all the way back down to the bottom. It makes it very easy to miss things during crowded events.

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
I'm having the same problem Chrissy is having and that I can't keep my place in past messages. I can scroll up to find messages but it takes me right back down to the latest when anyone says something new.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

I tried testing this Jack, If I hit enter and then scroll back, the cursor goes out of the box and things drop back to the last line right away. If I put the cursor back into the 'Typing box', once in a while it will hold it's place for one or two comments then it goes right back to tossing me back to the end. I haven't figured out what I am actually doing that causes it to sometimes hold for a brief period.
Could there be another step you used, without thinking that is helping you keep your place. I even tried leaving some typed words in the box hoping that was the trigger but it still popped back down to the last line. *Bites lip and feels perplexed.*

Administrator
Thanks for trying! I'm not sure what I did differently, but it does sound like the majority are struggling with this inconvenience. I'll be sure to forward on this request.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Bosun
May 06, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Jan 19, 2014 wrote:
Thanks for trying! I'm not sure what I did differently, but it does sound like the majority are struggling with this inconvenience. I'll be sure to forward on this request.
One-Eyed Jack, there's one other thing about the chatting system.

In Wizard101, you can right click someone's name and it will automatically allow you to text chat them. In Pirate101, it won't do this and you have to instead click the 'Text Chat' button to text chat a friend. Can the feature Wizard101 has be added later on so players can swiftly text chat friends and other players?