Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Possible change of ship targeting crosshairs

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hi, KI developers and administrators!

I wanted to bring to the attention an issue for at least one fellow pirate (I am sure it could be for many others as well). I saw on this thread that one of our message board friends and fellow pirates was color blind. He/she was describing how it was difficult to differentiate the colors of the rings when engaged in ship combat and difficult to differentiate ship health colors for self and enemies in general. I was wondering if there was any way this could be remedied by you kind folks at KI. Chrissy had some great ideas about changing saturation levels on that same thread or doing something of the sort.

Or perhaps could there be some way to slightly change the look of the targeting reticule to know what distance you are from enemy ships and/or to add small indicator marks on the enemy ships' health bar as well as your own- that would allow our color blind friends to better know when the respective ships reach the different levels of health. I know that there is the boarding symbol when ship health reaches yellow but I don't believe there are indicators for being in red or for your ship moving into red. Just wanted to throw the idea and see if there was any possibility of working out something to help fellow pirates that are color blind. Any help or response in regards to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for reading

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
How very generous and I'm sure there are more out there I know I guy who is colorblind and man I never knew
It would help him if he even plays

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
witchdoctor daruis on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:
How very generous and I'm sure there are more out there I know I guy who is colorblind and man I never knew
It would help him if he even plays
Yea, my Dad is color blind and he always had trouble at his work having to differentiate the colors of phone wires- he worked for 30 years as a telephone technician and working on electrical lines. So I know through him the frustrations that can come about. Hopefully there is a small tweak or something that can be done by KI to help out anyone who is faced with this issue.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 17, 2014 wrote:
Yea, my Dad is color blind and he always had trouble at his work having to differentiate the colors of phone wires- he worked for 30 years as a telephone technician and working on electrical lines. So I know through him the frustrations that can come about. Hopefully there is a small tweak or something that can be done by KI to help out anyone who is faced with this issue.
Even though I'm not colour blind I think it would look cool with different looks for distance anyway darius out

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
I don't know much about color blindness, but KI can't make a default color blind system. For example, if someone is blind to red, and if KI chooses a color blind system that changes the red to violet to help the poor blind person to see, well I guess that's good for those who are blind to red... But what about those who are blind to violet?

I suggest a personal customisation system for our color blind friends. With guidance of a friend of family member, the colour blind person can choose the colors they wish to see. Some may change the red to orange, some may change the orange to black, and everyone can be happy and see the colors they wish to see. This feature will be in the settings' tab, and players can customize the color of the battle board, health bar, text colour and more.

And also, I pray and hope that your Dad will still enjoy life and that this problem won't stop him! Congrats to you and your dad Valkoor!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Golden Guardian on Jan 21, 2014 wrote:
I don't know much about color blindness, but KI can't make a default color blind system. For example, if someone is blind to red, and if KI chooses a color blind system that changes the red to violet to help the poor blind person to see, well I guess that's good for those who are blind to red... But what about those who are blind to violet?

I suggest a personal customisation system for our color blind friends. With guidance of a friend of family member, the colour blind person can choose the colors they wish to see. Some may change the red to orange, some may change the orange to black, and everyone can be happy and see the colors they wish to see. This feature will be in the settings' tab, and players can customize the color of the battle board, health bar, text colour and more.

And also, I pray and hope that your Dad will still enjoy life and that this problem won't stop him! Congrats to you and your dad Valkoor!
Thank, you Golden Guardian, I appreciate the very nice words. I honestly don't believe anything would or could stop him, he's too resilient (and stubborn for that matter- guess that I got it honest). We both are of the mindset that there is always a way to figure something out and will exhaust all efforts until we find that way.

I like your idea about the personal color customizing system or something of the sort. I don't know if it is in the realm or scope of possibilities as far as KI being able to implement it but it would be a great way to help out those who are colorblind. Maybe it is something they could look into further, along with adding minor color change (in regards to pirate, ship and enemy health) indicators or markers in the respective objects health meter and possibly slight changes to the ship targeting reticule to differentiate between the various ranges.

I like your idea though and hopefully some brainstorming and tweaks could be done to help out anyone in regards to this.

Thank you for the warm sentiments- I do appreciate them.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Golden Guardian on Jan 21, 2014 wrote:

That's a great idea golden guardian but what if your completely colorblind and is this possible oh wait doesn't that mean your blind hmm I'm confused