Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Melee Companions

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 07, 2009
Is it just me, or do the melee companions all seem to be trash. Just sponges to soak up the extra hits of the enemies, ie. repel boarders, ripost, overwatch, strike first ect. Mine seem to miss more then my ranged. Even with all the accy talents i can buy them. Mine also seem to do no more damage then my ranged ones. Nor do they have more HP Dodge or Armor to soak up this damage. I always find my Melee Companions at the bottom of my list. I cringe when they show up in battle. Heck I've even taken to killing them off and leaving them ghosts so I can get extra ZZZ's for them in a way. What's the deal?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
drwe on Dec 15, 2013 wrote:
Is it just me, or do the melee companions all seem to be trash. Just sponges to soak up the extra hits of the enemies, ie. repel boarders, ripost, overwatch, strike first ect. Mine seem to miss more then my ranged. Even with all the accy talents i can buy them. Mine also seem to do no more damage then my ranged ones. Nor do they have more HP Dodge or Armor to soak up this damage. I always find my Melee Companions at the bottom of my list. I cringe when they show up in battle. Heck I've even taken to killing them off and leaving them ghosts so I can get extra ZZZ's for them in a way. What's the deal?
Welcome to the message boards Dr We.
If I might quote our beloved Ratbeard: "Protect your squishies"
Here is the thread where he says this and it will have some good pointers for you.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
drwe on Dec 15, 2013 wrote:
It is not just you, but melee companions are not trash either. I admit that my Musketeer vastly prefers musketeers over melee crew in most fights, but that is because of the team epics he has available. Give Buccaneers team epic vengeance strike and flanking and you will see all melee teams in PvP. Really, a companion is mostly as good as his epic talents, and Melee epic talents really are as good as ranged epic talents overall. There are tricks to use that maximize any companion's utility, and each type of companion is best for a different circumstance. For instance, melee units can move, then attack on the same round. This fact allows them to hide from the ranged units' attacks just before they charge in for their own attacks. It also allows them to flank and do a normal attack in the same round, but crossfire requires the unit to move (usually), so the musketeer gets only one attack. Also, overwatch will not trigger if the approaching unit is already inside the threshold range for overwatch, but repel borders will trigger so long as the approaching unit moves through an empty space immediately before reaching the repelling unit. These are just examples of the many tricks you can use to make any type of unit fight like a boss.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
Are you giving them appropriate talents?
Are you giving them appropriate epics?
What class are they?

All these affect your companions power in battle.

Also can we have the names of said companions that are doing "trash"?

P.S. You might just be having trouble with musketeers/other long range attackers