Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Privateer Questions and Issues

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 06, 2013
I'm a lvl 45 and I'm thinking about choosing another (or second) pirate. I chose Buccaneer, but now I want a little something out of the ordinary. I feel Buccaneer is more of a basic, simple pirate class that is good for beginners. I've been thinking about choosing Privateer or Musketeer, but I need some information about the classes, more specifically the Privateer class. The class sounds very cool, but then I heard it was pretty much just a healing class. It was disappointing to hear such a thing, because when I hear the word Privateer I think more, stronger, faster. better ships and companions. What was KI thinking when they named this class? It seems like they just ran out of ideas for classes and threw in Privateer. I would love to be filled in with some information on the privateer class so start typing your fingers to the nub.

A few basic questions:
Q1: Does the privateer get any advantages ship/companion related?

Q2: Do privateers get more than usual amount of training points for their companions?

Q3: I hear that the privateer gets more companions than any other class, true or false? (Maybe list who all the companions are if you're really nice...? :D)

That's about it. Please leave your personal opinion about the privateer in the comments!

Also do you think I should finish the game (up to lvl 65), or just start fresh with a new class if I fancy any of them.
OR OR OR play on both at the same time? (Not literately at the same time.... -_-)
Vs.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
SwedishViking on Nov 3, 2013 wrote:
I'm a lvl 45 and I'm thinking about choosing another (or second) pirate. I chose Buccaneer, but now I want a little something out of the ordinary. I feel Buccaneer is more of a basic, simple pirate class that is good for beginners. I've been thinking about choosing Privateer or Musketeer, but I need some information about the classes, more specifically the Privateer class. The class sounds very cool, but then I heard it was pretty much just a healing class. It was disappointing to hear such a thing, because when I hear the word Privateer I think more, stronger, faster. better ships and companions. What was KI thinking when they named this class? It seems like they just ran out of ideas for classes and threw in Privateer. I would love to be filled in with some information on the privateer class so start typing your fingers to the nub.

A few basic questions:
Q1: Does the privateer get any advantages ship/companion related?

Q2: Do privateers get more than usual amount of training points for their companions?

Q3: I hear that the privateer gets more companions than any other class, true or false? (Maybe list who all the companions are if you're really nice...? :D)

That's about it. Please leave your personal opinion about the privateer in the comments!

Also do you think I should finish the game (up to lvl 65), or just start fresh with a new class if I fancy any of them.
OR OR OR play on both at the same time? (Not literately at the same time.... -_-)
Vs.
Well first of all, welcome to the message boards, if I have not already done so.
My first pirate through the game was my privateer and she does a lot more than just heal, although my friends do love that ability in her. She has the most amazing buffs that boost damage and powers for either her companions or anyone fighting with her. She can also protect anyone she chooses from damage. Privateers do get the most companions and they get good ones too. Right now my Inoshishi Necromancer is my power hitter that can regularly just about take out a bad guy in one turn. All she needs to do is keep him protected via Valor's Armor and he is positively lethal. Many times friends have seen him in action and went right out and bought one from the crown shop because of how powerful he is. There are many companions the privateer gets from game quests.
This link on Pirate101 Central shows that this class gets 33 companions. They are not all exclusive to privateer but that is the total you wind up with by level 65.
I am not sure if there are any side quests that give extra training points for Privateers but I would just recommenced that you do all the side quests that give training points because you will need them.
As to finishing the story with them, I did that with one pirate, it just happened to be my Privateer and the others will stop when they get to level 65 as the loss of xp will be a great handicap once the game updates. I learned this the hard way when I had three of my pirates to the story ending when it was in Mooshu and I was stunned how much stronger my younger pirates were when they got to Marleybone just because they didn't lose their xp going through Mooshu. They went through Marleybone and Aquila much easier because they were higher levels and thus were stronger.
I switch my girls around so that I don't get bored doing the same thing. Plus it is handy to have varied levels of pirates so that when a friend wants some help I can use someone close to their level and not power through the enemies for them. I like to allow my friends the fun and experience of enjoying those bosses as they were designed to be as to strength and power to 'duke it out' with them. It is much more fun that way.
If you have more questions I would be happy to meet you in the game with my privateer and show you her stuff. My favorite place to meet is in Avery's court, by the fountain in Vadima realm. I also run on Central USA time. Just let me know when you would like to meet.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
1. Privateers don't get anything special ship related, but they get tons of companions! (Most out of the whole game actually.)

2. I think it might just be the same amount of companion training tomes that all pirates get for each level.

3. They do get the most companions out of all the classes. I'm afraid I can't name them all. X_X

I'm personally not that much of a team player, managing the companions on my Swashbuckler is already hard enough. I'd suggest preparing to see at least two full pages of companions at late game.
Buffing and supporting your crew is a key aspect of Privateers, so if you plan to play Privateer, keep your companions alive! They are, most of the time, the bulk of your damage.
Privateers are also the most flexible out of the classes. They can be suited both for melee and ranged. I suggest reading some of Mercenaries for Charter's guides and a bit of Duelist101's guides on Privateer. (M4C is a bit more helpful for beginners though.)
For your last question, I say do whatever you want. If you get tired of playing at where you are for your Buccaneer, you can play where your Privateer is at and vice versa. When they get about the same level, just play whatever class you prefer at the moment.

~Quick Pearl

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
I don't have much to say that Chrissy and Pearl haven't already, except that I have a Privateer (Charlotte) and I enjoy playing her very much. Privateers do heal a lot more than the other classes, but their main strength is that they are very versatile. You have a lot of spells to boost the abilities of your companions (and other players, if you are not playing solo) which you can gauge to the companions at hand (increasing will if there are witchdoctors, for instance) or are good for everyone (my favorite? Discipline -- it increases the rate of criticals for everyone). This is compensated by the fact that you as a privateer are not the most brilliant fighter yourself (though I have usually managed to do fine in those occasional solo instances).

You do get a lot of companions, which is great fun! Mind you, my pockets are usually fairly empty trying to bring up my companions (including most of the second page ones) to a decent level. But not everyone does that. I have so many good companions that I like to switch them around quite a bit (though I always keep Bonnie Anne as first mate).

I like the idea of bringing my characters to the end of the story, even though a lot of experience is lost thereby (so far only my swashbuckler is done, but my privateer is close). I found I really liked the challenge of bringing my ready character into the new world of Marleybone. My next character had a much easier time of if, being a higher level at the time having gained the extra experience in Mooshu. But I had to think a bit more with the first challenge, the fights were tighter and more hard won, and that was quite fun for me.

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Privateers are strong in groups, on their own however they are weak. We are meant to enforce and prepare large forces. (in pvp, 2 players or more)

We are good at slashey attacks and versatile if you want to learn other types. (Staffy, shooty, stabby, & smashy) Our buffs help others improve on their attack and defense but also help us. The key to winning every battle if knowing when to buff and heal and how to attack. Also this is just for the people who think privateers should get nerfed, IF YOU WANNNA NERF US THEN THEY WILL NERF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps.