Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why does it do that?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jun 08, 2012
About 60% percent of the time I get a ships health to the red it won't let me attack it anymore and it's health goes back up. Why does it do that? I'm gonna tell you how I fight ships so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. First I click on the ship I wanna fight. Then I go next to it and press the space button to stop my ship. What am I doing wrong?

Ensign
Aug 25, 2013
I have the same problem and it gets tiring HopefulAlyssaHolystone

First Mate
May 01, 2012
You are doing everything right. It sounds as if the enemy ship's Target Icon has gone from Red to Yellow. When it is Yellow, you can't attack it. Most of the time (as far I know), this means the enemy ship is outside of its normal area and needs to get back to that area. What I've done is heal my ship and wait for the Targeting Icon to turn back to Red and start attacking again. Usually when I do this, the enemy ship's health does not get back to fully healed but it does heal itself.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
It does that to me when the ship I am attacking has already targeted and attacked someone else who is leaving the area. Even though I have engaged the ship, it doesn't 'see' me, it only sees it's first target. When that first target touches a windlane or gets too far away the ship goes yellow and can't be attacked until it recycles. This isn't a problem with the boss ships in higher areas that can attack more than one person, they don't seem to have a problem seeing me at all x runs to get ship fire extinguisher x .

Ensign
Jun 05, 2011
Does it look transparent when that happens? Sometimes when I'm in broadside combat I'll back into the windlane by accident. It goes all transparent and starts healing itself.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Shayden181 on Oct 15, 2013 wrote:
About 60% percent of the time I get a ships health to the red it won't let me attack it anymore and it's health goes back up. Why does it do that? I'm gonna tell you how I fight ships so you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. First I click on the ship I wanna fight. Then I go next to it and press the space button to stop my ship. What am I doing wrong?
Are we talking about one particular boss ship or a general case?
Some boss ships are unsinkable and it says so on the same readout that shows that ship's health. They behave this way for all of us. The game expects us to press the x button from short (red) range and board them for story purposes.
In the general case, If you run to avoid getting boarded while your ship's health is in the red or yellow, you can lead the enemy ship out of it's home range. When this happens she goes transparent, becomes untargetable, heals rapidly and returns to her point of origin. To avoid this, circle your enemy to keep away from her bow, and keep firing. This way of avoiding a boarding action usually keeps your target inside her home range until one of you sinks. Just try to stay clear of the other enemy ships while you run and gun. Any ship that is targeting you can board when your ship health is down if you get in short range of her and she is facing you.
On a side note, enemy ships tend to do better damage than you do to them at short range, and vice versa at long (orange) range.

Petty Officer
Jun 08, 2012
Sky Sailor on Oct 16, 2013 wrote:
Does it look transparent when that happens? Sometimes when I'm in broadside combat I'll back into the windlane by accident. It goes all transparent and starts healing itself.
I do not move my ship, I try to get the ones in the middle to make sure that does not happen. The only thing that happens is that ship starts circling me, the target goes from red to yellow, and it's health starts going up.

Petty Officer
Jun 08, 2012
Row4n412 on Oct 17, 2013 wrote:
Are we talking about one particular boss ship or a general case?
Some boss ships are unsinkable and it says so on the same readout that shows that ship's health. They behave this way for all of us. The game expects us to press the x button from short (red) range and board them for story purposes.
In the general case, If you run to avoid getting boarded while your ship's health is in the red or yellow, you can lead the enemy ship out of it's home range. When this happens she goes transparent, becomes untargetable, heals rapidly and returns to her point of origin. To avoid this, circle your enemy to keep away from her bow, and keep firing. This way of avoiding a boarding action usually keeps your target inside her home range until one of you sinks. Just try to stay clear of the other enemy ships while you run and gun. Any ship that is targeting you can board when your ship health is down if you get in short range of her and she is facing you.
On a side note, enemy ships tend to do better damage than you do to them at short range, and vice versa at long (orange) range.
I know about the boss ships in the tornado type things. For the range thin I tend to find myself missing a whole lot more outside the red, if the ship moves to orange I just keep shooting.Also I used to circle the ships, but I always get other ships wanting to team up on me. So far I just call some 3-5 friends to help me destroy them. Can you tell me why they would go outside her point of origin if I stopped my ship in her point of origin(Hasn't happen yet)?

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Shayden181 on Oct 23, 2013 wrote:
I know about the boss ships in the tornado type things. For the range thin I tend to find myself missing a whole lot more outside the red, if the ship moves to orange I just keep shooting.Also I used to circle the ships, but I always get other ships wanting to team up on me. So far I just call some 3-5 friends to help me destroy them. Can you tell me why they would go outside her point of origin if I stopped my ship in her point of origin(Hasn't happen yet)?
I think what's going on is that sometimes one of your 3-5 friends in the wolfpack is the first to get inside that enemy ship's targeting range. This means that his ship gets targeted instead of yours. You may notice that when your friend who is being targeted moves too far away from the enemy ship, she follows him and eventually disengages as I described earlier. Only the friendly ship being targeted needs to circle the target enemy ship, and then only when the friendly ship's health gets into the yellow range or below. Remember that you can restore your ship's and pirate's health to full by right clicking on your potion icon. Using a potion will not reset your broadside combat timers.
Some figureheads have a better hit percentage chance at either long or short range. The good ones do best at long range. I believe that cannon are more accurate at short range, but I still always try to stay at long range in broadside combat when I am being targeted because I don't like to waste time being boarded.
There are unsinkable boss ships that aren't in vortices and sinkable ones in vortices. When your mouse cursor is over the enemy ship, you see a display that shows his name and ship health. An unsinkable ship shows a little rubber ducky and says unsinkable on that display.