Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Attacking, Blocking, and Dodging

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 13, 2011
I noticed that only when my character uses a certain move he gets blocked or dodged. Also some moves tend to do more damage. From what I know non-critical attacks are divided into tiers like critical strikes. You have one tier 1 attack that does the least damage of you attacks and it is heavily reduced accuracy which means it is very likely the opponent will dodge or block it. Then there are Tier 2 attacks, which are your normal attacks. Why is it reduced hit chance on Tier 1 attacks?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Hmm this sounds like a great Ratbeard type question. This is definately his area of expertise.

Developer
The results of each combat turn are determined randomly, and almost instantly, as soon as you finish plotting out your turn.

When it comes time to play back the results on your window, we read the results and use that to queue up the different animations from all of the participants.

In order to save you time and frustration, when an attack is a miss, we'll usually just queue up the quickest attack action you have-- and this is almost always what you refer to as your "tier 1" attack.

So it is not that tier 1 attacks have a higher chance of being blocked-- it's just that when your attack is determined to have been a miss (dodge or block) we play back your tier 1 animation, followed by the block.

In the same fashion if your attack was determined to be a hit-- particularly a critical hit-- we say, "That was a good attack with a lot of damage! Play back this animation for the player."

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Ratbeard on Oct 2, 2013 wrote:
The results of each combat turn are determined randomly, and almost instantly, as soon as you finish plotting out your turn.

When it comes time to play back the results on your window, we read the results and use that to queue up the different animations from all of the participants.

In order to save you time and frustration, when an attack is a miss, we'll usually just queue up the quickest attack action you have-- and this is almost always what you refer to as your "tier 1" attack.

So it is not that tier 1 attacks have a higher chance of being blocked-- it's just that when your attack is determined to have been a miss (dodge or block) we play back your tier 1 animation, followed by the block.

In the same fashion if your attack was determined to be a hit-- particularly a critical hit-- we say, "That was a good attack with a lot of damage! Play back this animation for the player."
so then, it stands to reason that a critical hit should be able to use any one of our attack animations..? that would bee really cool

Thanks

also, i do notice that if i stab something (i carry double stabby, and thats thier tier 1 attack) it most likely hit much less than if i slice it (tier 2) or slice and then backflip slice (tier 3) i always thought of them as your damage range,

Veldon

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Ratbeard on Oct 2, 2013 wrote:

That's a fascinating way of looking at it. Not being a programer I wouldn't have thought of it but I really love seeing how this works (knowing that my level of understanding is really slight, I do love what little bit I do get ). Thank you for sharing a snippet of how your world works Ratbeard. What a choice bit of intel to help me get how things work. x Bows to Sensei x

Ensign
Feb 13, 2011
Usually if my Level 57 Buccaneer is blocked the animation that plays is where he brings his axe up to then swing down onto the enemy which is his "Tier 1 attack". Well guys uh thanks for the info.