Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How are Criticals Calculated?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
I made a thread similar to this one on Pirate101Central. I'm here asking the same question hoping to get a response from Ratbeard. In Wizard101 a critical is x2 of the amount the spell you cast would of dealt. Since we have 3 ranks of criticals on Pirate101, Super, Mega, and Epic. I'd like to know how these are calculated.

http://pirate101.centralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?44678-Criticals&p=184432#post184432

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
Critical - For All Who Need To Understand them.

Epic Hit = Roughly 2x Damage your Top Damage
Mega Hit = Roughly 50%+ your Top Damage
Super Hit = Roughly 25%+ your Top Damage

Proof?
Buccaneer Max Damage when Turn the Tided is 398
Assassins Strike (3x) non Critical normally hits - 1230
Same Setup with an Epic Hit Instead = 2444

Beware: You can Dud with Crits

Now a critical occur when you character or mate hits damage displayed in WHITE. They are classified as Epic, Mega, and Super respectively from strongest to weakest. Criticals can be buffed directly by Increased Critical Spells.

These spells increase criticals by a + {THIS IS VERY CONFUSING BUT} Basically, say any given character has a critical chance of -x. While in -x range, they will not hit Critical. but as soon as you go into the + range you WILL hit critical. Now, Ratbeard or the game doesnt tell us WHAT "x" in this case is. But x can be -3, -5, -11 or anywhere. This is what we see as the "CHANCE" to hit critical. When we buff our Critical, with example Shadow-dance - It Adds +2 to whatever the random "x" is. If your X (lets call it rage for now) is at -1 when you attack and you have used shadow-dance - you get this result.

Rage = -1
Shadow-dance grants +2 to Critical Chance (rage in this example)
Rage =-1 + 2 = 1

When your Rage is 1 - you WILL super hit.
Now if you Buffed again with another Shadow-dance, which is +2 more then you get:
Rage = 3
THAT is an EPIC HIT!

Remember, your Rage can be as low as -7 (had +7 crit chance one time and didn't hit critical -.- ) at any given time, and thus you will not hit critical. I wish I could go on more, because there are more secrets but alas, I have a text limit.

Don't believe me? fine not asking you too. But by understanding crits (and a few other secrets XD) My privateer stand undefeated in 1v1 :). Some ppl think I hack because my swashbuckler hits Epic Hit so often lol. Ask Chrissy :) She can tell you its true too.

Hope that helps.
Angel Xiriga

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Xiriganism on Sep 5, 2013 wrote:

Proof?

Now a critical occur when you character or mate hits damage displayed in WHITE. They are classified as Epic, Mega, and Super respectively from strongest to weakest. Criticals can be buffed directly by Increased Critical Spells.

These spells increase criticals by a + {THIS IS VERY CONFUSING BUT} Basically, say any given character has a critical chance of -x. While in -x range, they will not hit Critical. but as soon as you go into the + range you WILL hit critical. Now, Ratbeard or the game doesnt tell us WHAT "x" in this case is. But x can be -3, -5, -11 or anywhere. This is what we see as the "CHANCE" to hit critical. When we buff our Critical, with example Shadow-dance - It Adds +2 to whatever the random "x" is. If your X (lets call it rage for now) is at -1 when you attack and you have used shadow-dance - you get this result.

Rage = -1
Rage =-1 + 2 = 1

Now if you Buffed again with another Shadow-dance, which is +2 more then you get:
Rage = 3
THAT is an EPIC HIT!

Remember, your Rage can be as low as -7 (had +7 crit chance one time and didn't hit critical -.- ) at any given time, and thus you will not hit critical. I wish I could go on more, because there are more secrets but alas, I have a text limit.

Don't believe me? fine not asking you too. But by understanding crits (and a few other secrets XD) My privateer stand undefeated in 1v1 :). Some ppl think I hack because my swashbuckler hits Epic Hit so often lol. Ask Chrissy :) She can tell you its true too.

Hope that helps.
Angel Xiriga
Welcome back Angel . I have really missed your informative posts. Folks this is 'My' Mentor that convinced me to start posting here, and the rest is history. x Gives one of Emma's special order welcome back cakes decorated to the max x
Wow that's a lot of info. Yes I can say, that Angel knows his stuff and he would sink is ship before he would ever use a cheat or hack. I know him well enough to vouch for that.

I kinda follow it but I suspect I will be pestering ya with my silly questions. Wow, that is really cool stuff.

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Sep 5, 2013 wrote:
Welcome back Angel . I have really missed your informative posts. Folks this is 'My' Mentor that convinced me to start posting here, and the rest is history. x Gives one of Emma's special order welcome back cakes decorated to the max x
Wow that's a lot of info. Yes I can say, that Angel knows his stuff and he would sink is ship before he would ever use a cheat or hack. I know him well enough to vouch for that.

I kinda follow it but I suspect I will be pestering ya with my silly questions. Wow, that is really cool stuff.
Gee Thanks Chrissy :) Good To Be Back :D

*Goes into Teaching status and checks the "Pestering Welcomed" check box*

Pester away XD - I will follow up on my blog :)

But If you want a surefire test right now. Here is what you can do. If you have a max privateer or privateer friend (You have both lol), Go into a battle with Hawkules, catbeard or anyone who has a Guaranteed Critical Strike Level 1 (Has to be Level one - Shiruko Neko will work too.)

Then use Discipline (+2 Critical Chance) and Then tell you companion to use their Critical attack. And guess what? It WILL be an Epic hit instead of a Super Hit. :) Cool Huh?

Its because a Super Hit is equal to 1 as I mentioned before. +2 you go up to Epic Hit :)

If you use Enduring Discipline (+1 Critical Chance) - anyone with a super hit will Mega hit instead

Also, Im still flying my ship so I do think Ive hacked Lol

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Xiriganism on Sep 6, 2013 wrote:
Gee Thanks Chrissy :) Good To Be Back :D

*Goes into Teaching status and checks the "Pestering Welcomed" check box*

Pester away XD - I will follow up on my blog :)

But If you want a surefire test right now. Here is what you can do. If you have a max privateer or privateer friend (You have both lol), Go into a battle with Hawkules, catbeard or anyone who has a Guaranteed Critical Strike Level 1 (Has to be Level one - Shiruko Neko will work too.)

Then use Discipline (+2 Critical Chance) and Then tell you companion to use their Critical attack. And guess what? It WILL be an Epic hit instead of a Super Hit. :) Cool Huh?

Its because a Super Hit is equal to 1 as I mentioned before. +2 you go up to Epic Hit :)

If you use Enduring Discipline (+1 Critical Chance) - anyone with a super hit will Mega hit instead

Also, Im still flying my ship so I do think Ive hacked Lol
Now that one I understand totally . You have a real gift for explaining this stuff. Brilliant.

Petty Officer
Jun 08, 2012

Proof?

Rage = -1
Rage =-1 + 2 = 1

Rage = 3
THAT is an EPIC HIT!

Hope that helps.
Angel Xiriga
Incorrect, go listen to Ratbeard.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Shayden181 on Oct 5, 2013 wrote:
He is following Ratbeard's teaching.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011

Proof?

Rage = -1
Rage =-1 + 2 = 1

Rage = 3
THAT is an EPIC HIT!

Hope that helps.
Angel Xiriga
Remind me never to PvP against you, lol...

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Shayden181 on Oct 5, 2013 wrote:
Alright, well if you think he's incorrect, give us some grounds for us to believe you over him. because i too, have proof he is right

Xavier