Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Adding Submarines to Skyway Game Play

AuthorMessage
Bosun
May 06, 2009
We have many Ships: Raft, Skiffs, Frigrates, and Galleons. They all have a different Origins, cool designs, and a variety of attachments that can be added. But I wanna ask you guys...

What would you say if we added Submarines to the mix? Would you like it? Would you hate it? Or are you nuetral about it?

Here's how I see Submarines working:

Submarines are about Galleon-size and stronger too. Submarines are reserved for Higher Worlds (between Nautical LvL 70-90 let's say) as they have Special Abilities that better benefit Worlds going forward. This allows Kingsisle to keep these bad-boys (or is it bad-girls since you call ships "she" and "her"?) pretty rare and they don't have to go back all the way to earlier levels and add lower level Ship-gear. This also might give Players some motivation to level up in the Skyways.

So what's so special about Submarines you ask? Well some Submarines have a Specil Ability to "sink" themselves lower in the Skyway. They can not go underneath the Skyways or below islands (that's too much of an expense for Kingsisle over one feature), but they do have the ability to "sneak around" those enemies in the Skies. Just click Ctrl+Down Arrow. A Submarine can still get caught in battle when submerged and will automatically rise to the battle. Submarines are also quite stronger than Galleons, allowing them to have some advantage over enemies higher than their level. When

Submarines (like all other ships) will still use Wheels, Horns of Power and Figure Heads suited to their ship type. Submarines do not use Sails, but instead Turbines (Turbines will still be placed under Sails). Submarines also have Armor, Anchors, Cannons, and Rudders to their disposal. Submarines also still possess a deck for those Skyway fights!

Tell me what you think about having Submarines!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
It's a cool idea, but I'm not sure how workable it would be with sky ways as they are now. I think if I had one I'd want to have an underwater area for it to be used. That would fit in with your idea of it being for new and high level worlds. You could use it in the regular areas like a regular ship ( sailing like a surfaced sub). As all the ships are in the air what they look like doesn't make a huge difference. Boarding actions could take place through a couple airlocks. In a new area, there could be a Celestia like water zone. In order to enter those areas, a submarine would be needed. I see there being a starter area with some regular land and sky ways quests you do in order to obtain your first sub, or buy one (kind of like Skull Island started us off). Then the next area would have a sky way transition water wall and ships that warn you you need a submarine to go further. Instead of the sky ways, there would be currents of water in those areas and a bit more of up and down travel.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
I- I don't get it. It's good, but it's not meant for Pirate's 101. We are pirates, after all. We pirates don't care for fancy doodads like ye submarines, safety and cleanliness. Can ye imagine what me crew would say if I ever tried explaining to them what this thing is?!

El Toro~ Did you follow any of that?

RatBeard~ Wat's a sum-bi-meen?

Ensign
Jun 29, 2013
I'd like to see them add more raft types or perhaps some sloops into the game before getting into submarines. A class of small ship that moves quickly, mostly for traveling and collecting missions. I'd also like access to those steamboat ships as a purchasable option. Once the do those, sure, Submarines would be cool. I could see you getting one in Polaris, since nothing in the story has ruled out them having such a thing. What would be really good about Submarines? You could add another layer of missions and enemies to every single area. Skull Island, for instance, could have high level foes lurking deep beneath the clouds, waiting to be discovered and vanquished. New places to explore in areas we already have unlocked. A submarine would be great for battling large skyway monsters... (Giant Squid, anyone?) Like you said, no sails, instead the ship would have turbines. Torpedos or rockets instead of cannons. (Perhaps you'd actually have to aim them, only shooting straight foward? Then you could make them very powerful, since they could be flanked easily.) I'd say when submerged you'd have airlock combat, instead of on deck combat... but whatever works.

But, since you brought it up, if you want to see submarines, wouldn't it be cool to see High Altitude ships? Make Zeppelin's for each nation. You could have similer results to the submarine... new areas, new foes all in current locations. Alternatively, you could combine Zeppelin's and Submarines. Higher or lower pressure, you still need special systems to maintain hull integrity, and seal the atmosphere. Since it's all sky, you could engineer the system to go both ways.

On a similer note, our characters should have deep sea diving gear when underwater, since there is no timer on how long we can hold our breath. It would make more sense. I only know of one mission where it matters, so far... but still.

Bosun
May 06, 2009
Calamity Finch on Jul 5, 2013 wrote:
It's a cool idea, but I'm not sure how workable it would be with sky ways as they are now. I think if I had one I'd want to have an underwater area for it to be used. That would fit in with your idea of it being for new and high level worlds. You could use it in the regular areas like a regular ship ( sailing like a surfaced sub). As all the ships are in the air what they look like doesn't make a huge difference. Boarding actions could take place through a couple airlocks. In a new area, there could be a Celestia like water zone. In order to enter those areas, a submarine would be needed. I see there being a starter area with some regular land and sky ways quests you do in order to obtain your first sub, or buy one (kind of like Skull Island started us off). Then the next area would have a sky way transition water wall and ships that warn you you need a submarine to go further. Instead of the sky ways, there would be currents of water in those areas and a bit more of up and down travel.
I think including it in a trip to Celestia would make sense (as the Skyway there is below the deep waves). I like that!

Ensign
Sep 18, 2010
The ideal is quite fancy however, as said it would be hard to explain to those non Marleybonian(Celestian StomrRiver submarine) or Valencian(Marleybone's ideals are based off of Valencian) . And unless you're a modern pirate I don't think you'd need such a contraption... However, this does remind me of an ideal I had conjured(unless someone thought of it first, I apologize) but, what if we could go inside the ships cabins like the ship in Wizard101's Azteca? We could decorate it and call it our second home for on the go...it would also create another activity and new way to decorate while waiting for other updates to arrive...just a though.

-sincerely, the Theurgist-Privateer.