Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbucklers only

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
Since there is a "Musketeers only" post I thought why not make a Swashbucklers only post? This is a post for swashbucklers to give advice and thoughts about anything Swashbuckler.
First tip, make sure to do the metal side quest in Flotsam, it will get all swashbucklers a free companion that can upgrade at lvl 31.

Bristly Kevin

Petty Officer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey out there fellow Swashbucklers. Here's my tip to you: Hidden Valley Ranch is a bit difficult since it's a hidden dungeon. If you can get past Monterrey Jack, you find Corporal Sanders in the back. He speaks to alert you of his presence. After talking to him, you have to safely return him to Cooper's Roost. When you get back, Nurse Quinn will join your crew. Her heal will be useful. Don't forget to hurry back! Glad to help.

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
Hey, I'm back with more Swashbuckler tips: I would recommend your secondary class to be Witchdoctor, but also get the heal from Privateer. Also, in Valencia, the "collect the relics" quest given by a Guinea Pig on the island being destroyed(sorry can't think of the names) you can get a Hermit Crab Witchdoctor as a companion, with a special power you will find useful if shorthanded in battle...

Bristly Kevin

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2009
First of all, I would train in heals since you can use them while you're hidden. I'd also train in some buffs so you can use them while you're hidden. The walk in darkness helps if you want to use some buffs or heal yourself without getting hit. It helps a lot when it comes to life or death situations. Second, get all your companions to a high level. Bonnie Anne gets her 3rd promotion around level 30 and her fourth at about level 56

~Noble Mistydove, level 65 Swashbuckler

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Something that has worked really well for me not only for questing but also for pvp is trying to have as many musketeer companions as possible in a battle. At the start I will move them up a couple of squares and space them out so that there is at least two squares between them. I have mellowed out a little and let the action come to me more now. This lets their overwatch ability do some damage before the enemy even gets to me. This also gives me time to increase agility and maybe use walk in shadows before the action starts. With the big damage we swashbucklers do a few overwatch hits is all it takes to get the enemy to the point where I can finish them off with one shot. However whenever black fog is available at the beginning I always use it. Then my companions are doing double damage with their first hit. Spacing them out prevents multi hits from things like blade storm and that new frenzy power buccaneers have. They all have good range so you can space them out and still target the same enemy with each companion. It might seem like musketeer companions aren't doing much damage but believe me all those little hits from overwatch, burst fire, double tap etc add up quick. I find that they are the perfect compliment to a swashbuckler. Just make sure that the musketeers you use all have overwatch and burst fire. I have musketeers that I have only developed those two talents for and they do huge damage in one round. Plus they have much better accuracy than other companions even without building it up and are more likely to hit their targets. Last but not least....Swashbucklers rule!!! Oh yeah!!!

Wicked Erin, Self Appointed Unlimited Class World Swashbuckling Champion Supreme

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
So, for all swashbuckler companions I recommend giving them Riposte and First Strike as there epic talents. All swashbucklers have crazy dodge and the first strike is always useful. another good epic for swashbuckler companions is Flanking if you know how to use it.

Bristly Kevin

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2009
wiz11110 on Jun 28, 2013 wrote:
So, for all swashbuckler companions I recommend giving them Riposte and First Strike as there epic talents. All swashbucklers have crazy dodge and the first strike is always useful. another good epic for swashbuckler companions is Flanking if you know how to use it.

Bristly Kevin
Sarah Steele can get all three of those talents, which is good

Since everyone here does high amounts of damage, how many of you actually got to do 2000 damage?
I've been able to do 2000 damage before when I was a level 50, now I can do more. Has anyone else been able to do over 2000 damage?

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
Bengalstar on Jun 29, 2013 wrote:

Since everyone here does high amounts of damage, how many of you actually got to do 2000 damage?
I've been able to do 2000 damage before when I was a level 50, now I can do more. Has anyone else been able to do over 2000 damage?
WOW!!! I have only been able to do 1600 damage. That is a real nice number. Talk about death to the Armada. Anyways, I did get my companion to do 1800 once.

Bristly Kevin

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012

Aye lad. I actually did more damage than my musketeer friend did with his Dragoon Autocannon. When he uses walk in shadows and the card that comes with that weapon he can do 2400 + damage. I used black fog and a 50% agility boost and did over 2600 on a mega hit. I can't do it all the time though. Generally I can hit up around 1,200-1,800 with no buffs, no walk in shadows just using back stab or assassins strike. The base damage for me is 241-341. When you count first strike and riposte...it is possible for me to wipe out an enemy with over 3000 health in one attack if my enemy uses first strike or vengeance strike themselves and if I get in a couple epic hits.

Wicked Erin, Self Appointed Unlimited Class World Swashbuckling Champion Supreme

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Yes i have a level 50 swashbuckler. I love learning the weaknesses of the swashbuckler to destroy them in the pvp arena. Anyways...

Always ALWAYS take out the musketeers first...
Sarah Steele and Bonnie Anne are great companions. Train them hard.
El Toro is also a great companion, train him up.
Word of WARNING, swashbuckler companions do lose some of their shine in marleybone, due to the musketeers.

See you in the spiral, but as Dead-eye Luke, level 65

Gunner's Mate
Apr 09, 2011
Bengalstar on Jun 21, 2013 wrote:
First of all, I would train in heals since you can use them while you're hidden. I'd also train in some buffs so you can use them while you're hidden. The walk in darkness helps if you want to use some buffs or heal yourself without getting hit. It helps a lot when it comes to life or death situations. Second, get all your companions to a high level. Bonnie Anne gets her 3rd promotion around level 30 and her fourth at about level 56

~Noble Mistydove, level 65 Swashbuckler
Witchdoctor symbol

Gunner's Mate
Apr 09, 2011
Hey there fellow I would recommend you look at my swashbuckler house idea

Gunner's Mate
Apr 09, 2011
wiz11110 on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:
Since there is a "Musketeers only" post I thought why not make a Swashbucklers only post? This is a post for swashbucklers to give advice and thoughts about anything Swashbuckler.
First tip, make sure to do the metal side quest in Flotsam, it will get all swashbucklers a free companion that can upgrade at lvl 31.

Bristly Kevin
I cant find it

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
MightySwashbuckler... on Jun 29, 2013 wrote:
I cant find it
It starts in Jonah Town, sorry about that mixup, there is a guy by the place where the skipper is. He is in the crows nest, he start you on a quest to get metal, then, once you get everything, you go down to Gullet and get a new quest that gives you the companion.

Bristly Kevin

Ensign
Jan 20, 2013
Spiral Cowboy on Jun 29, 2013 wrote:
Aye lad. I actually did more damage than my musketeer friend did with his Dragoon Autocannon. When he uses walk in shadows and the card that comes with that weapon he can do 2400 + damage. I used black fog and a 50% agility boost and did over 2600 on a mega hit. I can't do it all the time though. Generally I can hit up around 1,200-1,800 with no buffs, no walk in shadows just using back stab or assassins strike. The base damage for me is 241-341. When you count first strike and riposte...it is possible for me to wipe out an enemy with over 3000 health in one attack if my enemy uses first strike or vengeance strike themselves and if I get in a couple epic hits.

Erin what gear do you use. And if it is any Assassins strike gear can you tell me where to get it plz

Ruthless Mason Ironside 65

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Mason Ironside on Jul 1, 2013 wrote:
Erin what gear do you use. And if it is any Assassins strike gear can you tell me where to get it plz

Ruthless Mason Ironside 65
Yarr! I only use gear that boosts agility, dodge and damage or gives an agility buff. I don't bother with anything that increases health or armor or gives me any healing ability. I don't have any gear that gives Assassins Strike but I have Stalkers Boots and they give me increased damage and Back Stab. I have also given up using weapons I get from drops that are cool looking but not really for swashbucklers. I stitched Friar Sands weapon to a better looking ax, went and got the talent that increases damage for that weapon and used it for awhile but it still didn't do as much damage as I could get from using stabby weapons because you can't train all the way in those other weapon talents like you can the ones within your own class. Be true to your class. Use weapons meant to be used by swashbucklers and use gear that increases the natural talents within that class and your damage will go up a lot. Also I chose the right background for my pirate and got natural born warrior which gives you more damage. Now that we have the bazaar some better gear should start showing up pretty soon. Go check often because the good stuff goes fast.

Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
wiz11110 on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:

Bristly Kevin
Are you talking about Tricky Vinny? Because I don't remember collecing metal for him.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 09, 2011
wiz11110 on Jun 30, 2013 wrote:
It starts in Jonah Town, sorry about that mixup, there is a guy by the place where the skipper is. He is in the crows nest, he start you on a quest to get metal, then, once you get everything, you go down to Gullet and get a new quest that gives you the companion.

Bristly Kevin
Where is the crows nest?

Ensign
Jul 05, 2013
So are we powerless against witch doctors since they can range you even when your invisible? cause i keep losing to them and its really making me feel powerless also im lvl 15...

Ensign
Oct 19, 2012
Heres a great tip! Use stabby weapons since you get a boost from Morgan Lafitte and get heal spells from the Bunccaneer class and upgrade your companions just right and you''l be great!

Fiery Alex Hawkins
Level 42 Swashbuckler

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
-blasts door down- Oops... Um, cake? -smiles nervously-

My main pirate might be a Musketeer, but I love Swashbucklers (I have one) and believe I can provide some helpful information.

The Mustang Toreador quest leads to you getting him as a companion. I don't remember it being that hard, so if you're looking to get a shiny new companion, try the side quest found in the Santo Pollo tavern.

A good combination of secondaries... Musketeer isn't gonna be very useful for a class that uses swords instead of guns (you people are crazy! I kid, I kid.), but the Elusive talent is quite useful in a bad spot. The traps are pretty useful too! Plus, the Swashbucklers have pretty good dodge if I'm right, and Elusive should make it even easier. Buccaneer or Privateer are more recommended classes, because both use melee weaponry. Privateers also have heals and Buccaneers strength increasing and protective spells. Witchdoctor is also a pretty good secondary because of the spells. They can be used with any weapon and Juju is a pretty useful spell.

Ciao!

Ensign
Jul 06, 2012

I already did more than 2000 using Assassin's Strike Epic Hit Hidden Pirate (525 per hit, so 525x4=2100).

I don't have much techniques to teach, I can tell you to wear clothes that gives essentially power and dodge, and powerful attacks of course. And give to your companions First Strike and Riposte, it's THE best talents combination.

Noble Nicholas Nichols level 65

Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
Guys should I get Big Choppy Weapons and use buccaneer swords? Is it good for stats and stuff?

Ensign
Jul 06, 2012
Zlyxer on Jul 20, 2013 wrote:
Guys should I get Big Choppy Weapons and use buccaneer swords? Is it good for stats and stuff?
No, just stay on everything that has "stabby" in it, it would be a waste of training points.

Noble Nicholas Nichols level 65 Swashbuckler

Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
The1337Messenger on Jul 12, 2013 wrote:
So are we powerless against witch doctors since they can range you even when your invisible? cause i keep losing to them and its really making me feel powerless also im lvl 15...
No. I don't think that they can even hit us when we are invisible. Maybe that's a bug. All classes are balanced not overpowered.