Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Flanking questions

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
I've been exploring Flanking companions a lot more with my second "main" pirate. Flanking requires movement to work. It seems to trigger when a melee unit with Flanking moves to the opposite side of an enemy from an allied melee unit, or if an enemy moves into an already-flanked square.

I'd thought there was an update to Flanking awhile back that would let it work when a Flanking unit pairs up with any other allied unit - that a Flanking Monkey King could move across from Bonnie Anne or Old Scratch and flank just as well as if he'd moved across from Ratbeard or El Toro - but I've only been able to get it to trigger when paired with other melee units. Is that a bug, or am I misremembering that update?

My second question is, how does Flanking 2 work compared to regular Flanking? My Inoshishi swashbuckler has Flanking 2, I'd thought that meant he would double-flank and get 2 additional attacks when he moved to flank - but I can still only get it to trigger once per turn.

Could someone please clear this up for me? I feel like Flanking is often overlooked and I'd like to be able to use it more effectively.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Community Leader
For you second question, Flanking 2 works the same way that abilities like Double Tap 2 work: if the right conditions happen in the same round, the ability will activate more than once (up to 3 times, I think). For flanking, that would mean that you moved into flanking position on your turn, then an enemy moved into a flanking position between you and another or your team. It may also work that way if you flank two mobs with the same move, but I can't say for sure.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
As for your first question, I think you misremembered. Although, when they did change the flanking mechanics it wasn't included in any update notes.

Ensign
Jan 05, 2010
Flanking Dynamics:

In order to maximize your flanking abilities you have to move your characters around and through your enemies, simply staying in one spot and hoping the enemy walks into a flanking position is not going to be enough to get full use of the flanking talent.

I have learned flanking is very hard to maneuver on small battle areas most commonly with battles on ships and narrow paths on land as the flanking talent requires 3 diagonal squares to activate. Thats right! 3 diagonal squares.

Careless Chris Eastwick
Level 50 Musketeer
Swashbuckler in Training

Developer
Careless Chris Eas... on Feb 15, 2013 wrote:
Flanking Dynamics:

In order to maximize your flanking abilities you have to move your characters around and through your enemies, simply staying in one spot and hoping the enemy walks into a flanking position is not going to be enough to get full use of the flanking talent.

I have learned flanking is very hard to maneuver on small battle areas most commonly with battles on ships and narrow paths on land as the flanking talent requires 3 diagonal squares to activate. Thats right! 3 diagonal squares.

Careless Chris Eastwick
Level 50 Musketeer
Swashbuckler in Training
Any three squares will do. As long as you line up MELEE<>ENEMY<>MELEE you'll be fine.

They can be in a straight line, too.

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Feb 15, 2013 wrote:
Any three squares will do. As long as you line up MELEE<>ENEMY<>MELEE you'll be fine.

They can be in a straight line, too.
Fortunately most pets are Melee fighters as well - my Inoshishi Swashbuckler's Flanking triggered when he moved across from my Armadillo.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio