Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Blocking and Dodging

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
Does anyone know what the difference between blocking and dodging is. Is there a difference? They seem similar, but I'm not sure. Some caracters seem to do one more than another, but I think you can only train dodge.

It's not life changing, but I am curious.

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
If your dodge is higher than enemy accuracy when the combat system perform its rolls you could dodge the incoming attack wathever type it is.

For block i do an example, would be easier to understand: buccaneer vs buccaneer, if your strenght would be higher than enemy strenght then you hit the enemy, otherwise it would block you.

So at end when you attack (or your enemy attacks) the game does 2 rolls, one for accuracy vs dodge and one for stat vs stat, this is a reason beacuse would be more convenient to attack enemies wich don't use your same stat (example: a buccaneer has more chanches to hit and does more damage vs musketeers/witchdoctors/swashbucklers than vs a privateer or another buccaneer).

Eccentric Roberto Bellamy
Little John

Developer
Block and dodge are really the same thing-- we just call it one or the other based on what the character does in the animation.

Raising your "Dodge" skill will raise the chance of "blocking" as well.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
I'm pretty sure block and dodge are just different names for the same thing. What comes up depends on the weapons used by attacker & defender (you may dodge a ranged attack but block a melee attack).

Clownsanity, I thought stat comparisons determined the amount of damage you did, not the chance to hit.

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
Ups ok now i know this too, ye prolly stat comparison is just for damage ^^.

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
Ratbeard on Feb 5, 2013 wrote:
Block and dodge are really the same thing-- we just call it one or the other based on what the character does in the animation.

Raising your "Dodge" skill will raise the chance of "blocking" as well.
Thanks for clearing that up Ratbeard.

Captain
May 13, 2011
correct me if im wrong, but i think some companions cant block or dodge (limited to either blocking or dodging)

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
Sneaky George Quar... on Feb 10, 2013 wrote:
correct me if im wrong, but i think some companions cant block or dodge (limited to either blocking or dodging)
They can, but simple they have low dodge and/or enemies higher accuracy ^^. Also depend on roles, a buccaneer/tank doesn't be supposed to be a dodger/blocker but instead he is able to take a lot of damage and survive to them (that is why buccaneers have Vengeance strike meantime a dodger class like the swashbucker has the riposte skill) ^^.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Sneaky George Quar... on Feb 10, 2013 wrote:
I think you are right, but it is only cosmetic so it doesn't make a difference. An example is Old Scratch, who doesn't have a weapon he can block with so he will always dodge.