Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Side quests

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 10, 2009
A couple people complain about having too many companions, so maybe we could be able to send them off on their own missions. They could be away for a couple hours, longer for better rewards. Gold, furniture items (from raids) maybe even a little experience? Any comments, its just an idea.

Community Leader
zxah1 on Jan 14, 2013 wrote:
A couple people complain about having too many companions, so maybe we could be able to send them off on their own missions. They could be away for a couple hours, longer for better rewards. Gold, furniture items (from raids) maybe even a little experience? Any comments, its just an idea.
I said the same thing on my podcast! Obviously, I agree with myself very much! Seriously, I do think this is a very good idea as it not only solves some of the problem with undesirable companions showing up in combat but does so in a more interesting way than just benching them.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
I dont mind this so much as long as it doesnt allow for us to toss aside and not level companions to reasonable levels to be helpful. (We should NOT be able to say... I dont like joe schmoe, so I am going to find a way to set him aside and not train him).

Otherwise, it would break the aspect of companion management in the system.
Managing companions, and usage of training tomes, etc. These are inherent characteristics that vary from class to class (what companions, when, etc). Eliminating that aspect from my perspective would be like creating a loophole in the companion management system.

Sort of like a coach not helping/training their players that are not as skilled, and only concentrating on their skilled players. Its not right. ;) Seems like a little lesson of good sportsmanship/humility is built in as it is.

For the record, I have had NO problems maintaining my companions at a reasonable level, nor have I had any problems playing with companions I dont like as much as others, and I have gone through the game with a pirate from each class.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Community Leader
Dr Zeppers on Jan 15, 2013 wrote:
I dont mind this so much as long as it doesnt allow for us to toss aside and not level companions to reasonable levels to be helpful. (We should NOT be able to say... I dont like joe schmoe, so I am going to find a way to set him aside and not train him).

Otherwise, it would break the aspect of companion management in the system.
Managing companions, and usage of training tomes, etc. These are inherent characteristics that vary from class to class (what companions, when, etc). Eliminating that aspect from my perspective would be like creating a loophole in the companion management system.

Sort of like a coach not helping/training their players that are not as skilled, and only concentrating on their skilled players. Its not right. ;) Seems like a little lesson of good sportsmanship/humility is built in as it is.

For the record, I have had NO problems maintaining my companions at a reasonable level, nor have I had any problems playing with companions I dont like as much as others, and I have gone through the game with a pirate from each class.
I totally agree. Part of my idea, when I pitched it, was that you had to choose which companions you sent on missions carefully. Otherwise, they wouldn't succeed. That way, you'd have to carefully put together a team of 3 or 4 crewmen, making sure it was balanced enough for the task at hand. In this way, you would still have to keep your crew leveled up, but you could also get some use out of companions that aren't as good as the Monkey King. To make sure sending them away isn't trivial, there should be some kind of risk/reward balance where it costs you something to send them out (traveling expenses!) or maybe you have to buy a separate ship for them to use on missions that could be destroyed if they fail and would have to be replaced. The rewards could be crew training tomes or maybe even boosts to their abilities.

I really am a big proponent of this idea as it gives us something to do, not just with companions that we hate, but ones that just aren't as useful as others we've picked up. Not every companion is going to be the best, but this gives them something else to do.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
This idea reminds me of the system in Final Fantasy Tactics (I played the GBA version). I agree that it would be a good thing to implement.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Interesting. So is your idea that you (the player) would be running this team on their mission?

-Michael

Community Leader
KiwiChickenz on Jan 16, 2013 wrote:
This idea reminds me of the system in Final Fantasy Tactics (I played the GBA version). I agree that it would be a good thing to implement.
It is exactly like that! I loved that system and would like to see it make it's way to Pirate101!

Community Leader
Indigo Ring on Jan 16, 2013 wrote:
Interesting. So is your idea that you (the player) would be running this team on their mission?

-Michael
No exactly. You pick the crew and send them on a mission and, after a preset time, they return to you and let you know if the mission was a success or a failure.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
That would be easier to program, I would think.

I would like opportunities to use more than three crew (although there has been one fight where I was allowed to pick four). I think it would be fun to have a "dungeon" where you are forced to manage your crew and go deeper into their ranks: for example, in the first fight you hand-pick three crew - and have to leave one of the survivors behind as a guard as you proceed to the next level and have to do the same... and then again... So if you always went with your best/highest ranked crew, you would face the final fight with only second-tier crew. It would require you to think carefully about who you chose for each fight.

And I would love the occasional fight where you command 6, 8, no 10! of your crew in a massive dust-up. Of course, you would probably need slightly more time for planing your moves.

-Michael