Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Things you like/dislike about Pirate101

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Sep 29, 2010
What are the things you like and dislike about Pirate101? Remember, some of these things will more than likely be added, changed or fixed in upcoming upgrades and updates.

Things I like:
The many new characters the game has
The ship battles
The new form of combat
The amazing moves our characters have, back flips, cartwheels, front flips, etc. that our wizards never had
The new, larger game worlds

Things I dislike:
Can't mark locations (Yet)
Sometimes I get stuck between areas and can't move or port back to a fountain until the timer clears (should be fixed soon)
There is no Bazaar (yet)
We can't go bellow the decks of our ships (yet)
There are no pet vendors (yet)

That's really just the main things that I like and dislike about the game. What about you guys? And as I said before, allot of these will either be added, changed or fixed in the future development of the game so no need to go off about something and blow up in my face about it, these are simply things I'm pointing out. Please keep comments kind and calm.

~Bloody Wolf Freeman~

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
There is a long list of pros and cons, but these are the biggest for me

Like:
The diversity of the classes. All of them are very unique and can't get compared.
Unique combat
Teleport back (after you teleport to skull island or home)

DIslike:
Ship combat. Just UGH
Buccaneer could have more useful epics (blade storm 2? What about blade storm 1 and relentless 1?)

That's all for me right now

Ensign
Jul 02, 2009
I like the names. Like Fin Dorsel,. The Rat Pack, Sammy Davies, Martin Dean and Frank Blue Eyes. I keep finding names that are interesting. Gortez is a great one also. The dorsel fin is the part of the shark (or killer whale) that sticks up out of the water. I love the storm sharks and blood bats in the game; these tie wizard 101 to pirate 101 nicely.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I really like the fact that you can actually grind in this game. Grinding is the only reason I play any mmo or RPG.

I dislike how you can't go into your ship's cabin while you are anchored in the sky. I think that would make sailing so much more better.

I also don't like how you can't put pets in your home or island. You should be able to.

Ensign
Dec 26, 2012
Pro's -

*You have a house
*porting around isn't too bad
*flags, and ships.. and the gear are varied enough
*companions !
* The enemies, and the continually amusing mobs based on real life/parodies of historic or culture
*you're a pirate, there are ninja's what more do you want? Yeah i know a partridge in a pear tree
*it's all fully voiced and smoother than wizard 101.
*puppet theatre !

Con's -

*Collecting quests where you don't collect (after 6 times, of ship boarding combat just UGH).
*Enemy mobs appearing to do things with abilities etc we cannot (ie vengeance strike TWICE instead of once)
*Level areas not clearly laid out, and appear a bit mixed (level 21's in a level 15 area during a companion quest). Or level 23 mobs which are a little stronger than level 23. Also the quests don't show which one is the level you are and which are a couple above your level.
*Ship combat - it's simple but appears stupid. And the enemy can board you when your ship is green (you've healed)
*Boarding combat - just awful, doesn't matter what ship you have it's the same.
*Not able to choose your companions in a dungeon area... makes sense against trash mobs in the open world even during boarding that it's random, but going into ANY sigil you should be able to choose your crew. What type of captain are you?
*powers are a bit meh (not to be confused with the epic talents which are FUN)
*The ramping cost of companion points. (members really shouldn't be using crowns unless for variety items)

Ensign
May 31, 2010
Shiningfantasia on Jan 17, 2013 wrote:
I really like the fact that you can actually grind in this game. Grinding is the only reason I play any mmo or RPG.

I dislike how you can't go into your ship's cabin while you are anchored in the sky. I think that would make sailing so much more better.

I also don't like how you can't put pets in your home or island. You should be able to.
You actually like grinding? I have a hard time understanding that point of view. For me, grinding is something that I'll tolerate, barely, and only if there isn't any other option for reaching a goal. I play MMOs or other RPGs to experience a story or a world that's different than mine. I *don't* play them thinking "Oh yay! I can spend the next three hours fighting the same guy over, and over, and over again! And then do that again tomorrow! Huzzah!"

Admiral
May 30, 2010
ShadowsBetween on Jan 23, 2013 wrote:
You actually like grinding? I have a hard time understanding that point of view. For me, grinding is something that I'll tolerate, barely, and only if there isn't any other option for reaching a goal. I play MMOs or other RPGs to experience a story or a world that's different than mine. I *don't* play them thinking "Oh yay! I can spend the next three hours fighting the same guy over, and over, and over again! And then do that again tomorrow! Huzzah!"
Thank you for making me laugh. I needed a good chuckle today.

And boy, do I empathize with not being enthralled with grinding. I'll do it to open up a crown shop item (and the chance to be able to hire Goronado), but it's not exactly a thrill a minute, is it?

I enjoy most of the game, but I find the long haul between worlds to be incredibly dull after the first time or two. Some areas are lovely to look at; others make me wonder what the designers were thinking when they chose those colors.

Ensign
Apr 03, 2010
I like almost everything, or at least don't outright hate them. I would really like to see a market but understand the bazaar is coming.

The one thing I really dislike and know will not be changed is the chat. I really would like to see a chat more similar to other mmo's like WoW. Also being able to have different channels and edit chat so that loot could be taken out of chat if you wanted. It is basically what finally made me leave wizard 101 and after the new wears off of pirates, I will probably leave as well due to chat.....it's just too limiting.

Community Leader
Shiningfantasia on Jan 17, 2013 wrote:

I find that comment rather interesting.
Most players abhor grinding.
One of the things I like about Pirates is its far LESS grindy than other games I have played.

I like the diversity of battles, battles arent quite as repetitive because of the "companion" factor.

I actually like how travel works in the game. Those complaining about being unable to mark, arent using the options we do have in an efficient manner. Albeit having friends in the game you can port to on occasion can be a big help. My friends know quite well how the game works. For example we let those that ported to our ship to help, port back to their life fountain before we land our ship (which would bind them to a different fountain), this is just one example. Ever try porting to a friend, at the same time they port to you? You switch positions!! lol Great trick when questing with a friend.

I like the ship battles, they can be a little grindy, but the means justify the ends in this case. Great way to get more gold, and higher level ship equipment, and even though my pirate is at max level, I can still pursue maxing my nautical.

I like the storyline, just wow!

I like how the pets work NOW. Leveling up with our pirates as we go. I pray they do not put in some extensive pet system that will drive me from playing the game (we already overdid this in Wizard101, not going to repeat it).

I think housing needs some work, let us free those extra mounts/pets! Especially if you want us to keep buying your item packs with chances at various rewards. Oh, and 200 items only in the volcano house? Should be around 500 for a house that size!!! I am frequently having to dismantle something to improve another area of the house. In order to do it right you have to ignore over half the house.

I dont like that by putting that ridiculous PVP arena in my volcano house that the volcano itself is now a waste of space. Cant even really decorate it, the only substantial area in the volcano is the pvp arena which I have no use for, and never will.

I dont like how when helping friends on a ship, that when they engage in battles of batacuda, fish, bats, snakes, etc that I have to wait a round before I can make a move. Seems stupid that they dont just automatically pull all those on the boat into the battle from the very first moment.

I dont like JToddColeman leaving KI. We'll see what direction things go from here on out. He was an excellent representative, and I dont trust any of the other higher ups at KI.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Captain
May 13, 2011
the companions
the storyline
the fact that the antagonist is the law, but is also crazy (gives a robin hood feeling)
the variety (the schools in w101 became less unique as time passed)
plus a lot other things i didnt mention

dislikes:

blocking chance
did-not-collect quests
people (big thing. some gloat about their victories in pvp, others are just creepy or mean. sure, some good things about other people. plus, KI cant do anything about it. everything they do impacts the innocent too)
amount of complains about buccaneers (KI will probably do something next time they update)
how limited the chat is (all the whining about substitute words have seriously impacted text chat. seriously, what are you guys?)