Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Change "Where You're From"

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
So, I have a level 50 Swash.. somehow during the creation process I made the mistake of clicking that I was from Krok instead of Skull Island. 50 levels later, other Swashbucklers with less dodge from gear have greater dodge than me because of this mistake. It's an extremely important stat to me, and I'd pay good money to be able to fix this rather than roll a new Pirate from scratch.

Being able to do this for gold the same way we can reset companions and play with different builds would be great, but I'd gladly pay crowns for the convenience.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
It may not be that simple. I don't know all of the ins and out of Pirate101, but just as How You Lost Your Parents and How You Got Captured make a difference in the companions you pick up along the way, "Where You're From" may also make a big difference in the companions you receive, even their number. It may change side quests, as well.

Community Leader
Max DeGroot on Dec 27, 2012 wrote:
It may not be that simple. I don't know all of the ins and out of Pirate101, but just as How You Lost Your Parents and How You Got Captured make a difference in the companions you pick up along the way, "Where You're From" may also make a big difference in the companions you receive, even their number. It may change side quests, as well.
I don't think that particular question has any effect other than what passive bonus you get. I've played through most of the current content and can't recall a single time it ever came up. As to whether or not KI should let us change it . . . not sure how I feel on the subject. On the one hand, it's a bummer if you make a mistake. On the other hand, if we could just change it, that makes the choice trivial. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I kinda like it when you have to carefully make choices, not knowing exactly what the outcome will be.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Petty Officer
Nov 28, 2008
I agree with the poster. I would like to change the "where your from", as I chose what I thought was cool sounding. Little did I know that all passive abilities are not useful. I will not go into detailas but some abilities arent really as usefull as others. Its not even knowing that they exist, its a matter of how they were programmed to work and how that works in the game enviroment.

This option would have saved me hours of wasted time. I have deleted characters that had a background that was cool sounding and seemenly beneficial, only to realize later after playing for a while which ones I really need, based on how it works in the game.

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
Talkin The Plank on Dec 27, 2012 wrote:
I don't think that particular question has any effect other than what passive bonus you get. I've played through most of the current content and can't recall a single time it ever came up. As to whether or not KI should let us change it . . . not sure how I feel on the subject. On the one hand, it's a bummer if you make a mistake. On the other hand, if we could just change it, that makes the choice trivial. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I kinda like it when you have to carefully make choices, not knowing exactly what the outcome will be.
I wouldn't mind if the crowns cost to reset this stat was prohibitive, making it not a casual decision. It's my understanding that crowns are often used for items/abilities that shortcut the time needed to play the game. I don't have time to roll another pirate from scratch any time soon, or I would. I'd gladly shell out some cash to salvage the time I have dedicated to my character. And, to be honest, I'm attached to the little scallywag.

A note to other players: I was informed today that this stat is currently hard-coded like your pirate name, meaning it cannot be changed at all after the creation process. I'd suggest researching guides and choosing very carefully.

Community Leader
I have to side with Talkin the plank.

Although I can sympathize with someone deciding they wanted to change these selections, there are more of these selections that we cannot reverse once made, even in our schools.
You cannot untrain/reset your own schools talents.
Did you obtain Loud? or Peaceful? or one of these type of talents that later you might regret? They can be skipped, but most of us not realizing take all our talents.

I can sympathize with those that those that have determined a different selection might work better, but as Talking the Plank said, if we could change them all,it makes the selection in itself rather trivial.

I already know pirates that have started NEW pirates to reconfigure having learned a lot from their first.
Changing things like that would actually make all the work they have now put in on additional characters "trivial".

Those willing to pay, as it is, need to be willing to pay with time and effort, instead of money.
KI loves us using crowns though, you never know what they might give us in the future.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
Dr Zeppers on Dec 27, 2012 wrote:
I have to side with Talkin the plank.

Although I can sympathize with someone deciding they wanted to change these selections, there are more of these selections that we cannot reverse once made, even in our schools.
You cannot untrain/reset your own schools talents.
Did you obtain Loud? or Peaceful? or one of these type of talents that later you might regret? They can be skipped, but most of us not realizing take all our talents.

I can sympathize with those that those that have determined a different selection might work better, but as Talking the Plank said, if we could change them all,it makes the selection in itself rather trivial.

I already know pirates that have started NEW pirates to reconfigure having learned a lot from their first.
Changing things like that would actually make all the work they have now put in on additional characters "trivial".

Those willing to pay, as it is, need to be willing to pay with time and effort, instead of money.
KI loves us using crowns though, you never know what they might give us in the future.
I'd like it if the folks who have lots of spare time did not attempt to ruin the game for those of us with very limited playing time. How much time I have to play the game has zero to do with my dedication to the game.

For me, creating one character, taking it all the way to level 50, and farming for gear and gold to level companions was a big time investment. Maybe it's not for you, but I have no time to do it again any time soon.

I was very glad to hear when JTodd talked about keeping casual and hardcore players on an even keel for PvP in this game. I hope it continues to be a priority.

Ensign
Mar 10, 2010
Is there somewhere that has all the info about the selection you make when starting a pirate. What do they do and what specal abilitys come from this selection? I know that i wizard they do nothing in selecting you school but i like how in pirates they do have meaning.

Captain
May 13, 2011
i like what gandry says when you choose skull island. "say what you want about warf rats, they make an excellent pasta." never got to eat it. back on topic, sometimes when you pick something, it stays that way. changing where you come from doesnt make sense

Ensign
Apr 26, 2010
the passive boost you get from where you picked is extremely trivial anyways. i mean, +5 dodge, +5 accuracy, +5% power effects, +10 health, +2 damage, it's a nice feature of the game. i'm a buckler, as well as a level fifty privateer, and the passive boost makes almost no difference in my stats. from looking at my privateer's stats, you couldn't tell at all what i had picked.

Community Leader
LameGID on Dec 28, 2012 wrote:
Is there somewhere that has all the info about the selection you make when starting a pirate. What do they do and what specal abilitys come from this selection? I know that i wizard they do nothing in selecting you school but i like how in pirates they do have meaning.
I made this post a while back that lists what all the answers to the starting questions give you. Hope that helps!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Hey now, if I can't change the fact that I have to walk around with permanently underleveled and underpowered companions because I did not purchase them at 50, none of you can change the fact that you are now stuck with permanent Krokotopia origin (or any origin) pirates.

So, I will hear none of the replies that sympathize with the OP, because none of you actually gave a hoot about my plight.

Well, I'd be forced to 'hear' about them anyway (waiting for a certain someone's response to how you can 'hear' replies written by people, I may have to teach him again). He he he.

Practice what you preach, pirates!

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
I wish it were as temporary at underleveled comps. With the next level cap, anyone who redeemed at level 50 will lose that slight level advantage. I'll still be from Krokotopia.