Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What Happened to fixing traps?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
Can someone please explain why traps being visible in PvP was not fixed before the test realm went live? It just doesn't make sense why it wouldn't be fixed first.

Administrator
Hello!

I'm sorry for the confusion. "Known issue" on the Test Realm in this instance did not mean "Known issue that we're going to correct before we go live." Because these issues will require a significant amount of effort to correct, they were instead listed as "known issues," so we could still bring Practice PvP to Pirate101 in a timely manner. We had to push forward knowing that there were a couple of things that would appear "broken" to players. Hopefully the fun you have and the information gathering we obtain from moving forward with Practice PvP in this state will outweigh the issues currently in the system.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Oct 01, 2010
I believe i recall also noticing that flame traps on Marleybone ships in the 3rd skyway in Skull Island world during broadside board combat don't appear. The icon for the flame's location is on the board, but I don't see any flames, only smoke from the flame locations. I'm guessing this was probably a slight animation issue, but idk. KI might want to check that out to make sure.

See ye all in the Spiral and Skyways:
Pirate101: Humble Jack Jackson, lvl 14 Buccaneer
Wizard101: Paul Legenddreamer, lvl 79 death
Jack Legenddreamer, lvl 53 balance
Aedan Legenddreamer, lvl 37 fire

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Dec 13, 2012 wrote:
Hello!

I'm sorry for the confusion. "Known issue" on the Test Realm in this instance did not mean "Known issue that we're going to correct before we go live." Because these issues will require a significant amount of effort to correct, they were instead listed as "known issues," so we could still bring Practice PvP to Pirate101 in a timely manner. We had to push forward knowing that there were a couple of things that would appear "broken" to players. Hopefully the fun you have and the information gathering we obtain from moving forward with Practice PvP in this state will outweigh the issues currently in the system.
Us musketeers are feeling under powered Jack . Everybody just goes around our traps.

Dead-Eye Luke, Level 50

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Dead Eye Luke on Dec 14, 2012 wrote:
Us musketeers are feeling under powered Jack . Everybody just goes around our traps.

Dead-Eye Luke, Level 50
I be not underpowerd as I be a Musketeer but I be needin' to let ye be knowin' I have a idea, let th' ones be forced into th' trap so how it works, I'll be tellin' ye: As we all be knowin', me fellow Musketeers, all ye pirates walks around so let's force them to swim in. ye click on a companion or a scurvy pirate 'n then they're forced to swim toward th' trap. 'tis would be jolly fer weakenin' a player, companions, if almost in Davy Jones' treasure chest 'n on NPC'S so let's get 'tis implented in wit' a new seven seas expanision which i reckon a lot 'o band 'o pirates want which be in popularity order, Marleybone, still a lot 'o band 'o pirates want Aqulla, 'n somewhat Darkmoor 'n a only a extra few, Polaris.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Although I agree traps should be invisible, fire shouldn't be as you are going to see fire and smoke and bombs shouldn't be as you are going to see bombs on the ground. Traps you try to conceal, the other stuff is dropped and is on the ground out in the open. In PvP I use such things as obstacles that bottleneck opponents so that I can make easier mass attacks.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Sniper Rose on Dec 24, 2012 wrote:
I be not underpowerd as I be a Musketeer but I be needin' to let ye be knowin' I have a idea, let th' ones be forced into th' trap so how it works, I'll be tellin' ye: As we all be knowin', me fellow Musketeers, all ye pirates walks around so let's force them to swim in. ye click on a companion or a scurvy pirate 'n then they're forced to swim toward th' trap. 'tis would be jolly fer weakenin' a player, companions, if almost in Davy Jones' treasure chest 'n on NPC'S so let's get 'tis implented in wit' a new seven seas expanision which i reckon a lot 'o band 'o pirates want which be in popularity order, Marleybone, still a lot 'o band 'o pirates want Aqulla, 'n somewhat Darkmoor 'n a only a extra few, Polaris.
Sorry to ask, but could you someone translate what he said? I can't translate pirate talk

Dead-eye Luke, Level 50

Community Leader
Dead Eye Luke on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
Sorry to ask, but could you someone translate what he said? I can't translate pirate talk

Dead-eye Luke, Level 50
"There should be a way to force people into musketeer traps that should be added with the next expansion." *end translation*

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Talkin The Plank on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:
"There should be a way to force people into musketeer traps that should be added with the next expansion." *end translation*
Thanks

Dead-eye Luke, Awesome

Ensign
May 29, 2011
To be honest, I dont want traps fixed. Just imagine a musketeer using scatter spike right in front of you. Or bomb shells where you dont expect them. I have a musketeer myself, ( which i recently got 3 valors armor on ) and I dont feel under powered at all even if traps arent invisible.

Its not that invisible traps shoudnt happen, I just dont support the idea of it. Just seems like un needed help to musketeers.

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Dead Eye Luke on Dec 31, 2012 wrote:

Dead-eye Luke, Level 50
Ok, here you go. I be not underpowered as I be a Musketeer but I been needing to let you be know I have a idea, let the ones be forced into the trap so how it works, I'll be telling you: As we all are knowing, me fellow Musketeers, all you pirates walks around so let's force them to walk in. You click on a companion or a scurvy pirate than then they're forced to walk toward the trap. This would be for weakening a player, companions, if almost in Davy Jones' treasure chest 'n on NPC'S so let's get this implented in with a new world expanision which i reckon a lot of band of pirates want which be in popularity order, Marleybone, still a lot of band of pirates want Aqulla, and somewhat Darkmoor and a only a extra few, Polaris. There you go.

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
Musketeers are not underpowered, simple they are good in what the game is supposed to be = a pve game, is very common in gaming panorama that a thing wich work in pve is unbalanced in pvp (i could make some example between arpgs); i have helped a lot of swashbuckers who were having problems in pve meantime the same swashbuckers can hurt my in pvp; regarding traps being visible in pvp, this is a issue since they should not be visibile (like is in pve) but would not change too much the whole question at end since i frankly doubt that any balance would be possible regarding pvp without messing pve and vice versa, for example the is an aoe class wich is useful in pve although the most effective strategy is always the same = focussing, and to focus is almost mandatory in pvp, but meantime a class like a swashbucker can do 1000-2000 damage, a musketeer at max can get around 600 (if the other doesn't use defensive buffs), so at end i would say that the game is balanced for pve but for pvp would need another and different game (or at least different skills like something for to remove buffs or some effective crowd control like ranged immobilization).

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
A little addition on what i said:

I think also that people should consider that most of skills were designed by having in mind the mobs AI wich is obviously different from human intelligence; i.e. i frankly doubt a human who is confronting a musketeer would put his character and companions on field in a manner that the same musketeer could hit efficently with aoe, like mobs do instead.

Eccentric Roberto Bellamy
Duke of Hannibal

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
I've actually changed my mind on this since I posted it. I actually thing traps are better when invisible as I can use them to influence how my opponent will move (as they generally aim to avoid traps).

Ensign
Aug 13, 2009
Personally, I hope traps continue to be visible to players.

The PvPCentral P101 ladder is currently topped by Alex Jaderider's musketeer.. with 12 wins, 0 losses.

The class is already dominating 1v1 PvP from what I can see. They can cover a sizable amount of the board in traps/bombs(many double stacked) in Team PvP also. I can't imagine trying to have a team match vs these guys when half the board is covered in invisible traps.. some of which go up to 4x damage, and can crit?

Idk, just my perspective. In PvP the class seems to be doing pretty well how it is.

Maybe my perspective is off because I primarily play Swash in PvP, and Musk is one of the worst matchups for me. Seems like the traps are meant to keep melee units from getting near them while they toss damage out from afar. Except their units aren't affected by the traps.. so their Melee units can cross the barriers at will, retreat behind them, etc. Then you do get over there, start posing a threat, and up goes a Spirit Armor. So you eat damage from traps getting to them, or eat even more damage from ranged units getting to them around the traps, then you get there and you eat damage trying to wear out spirit armor. Idk, can't see how this is an underpowered class that needs additional help. Jm2c.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
Dead Eye Luke on Dec 14, 2012 wrote:

Dead-Eye Luke, Level 50
Did I say that? I meant that musketeers want to be MORE powerful.