Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Flanking

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
After figuring out how flanking works (you need another melee unit directly opposite from the enemy the unit with flanking is attacking) but I have noticed that sometimes it doesn't trigger. When it doesn't, the attacking unit misses.
Is this the way it is supposed to work? As in, if the flank attack doesn't hit then does the normal hit not get used?

I hope you can understand what I am trying to get at here.

Developer
KiwiChickenz on Oct 28, 2012 wrote:
After figuring out how flanking works (you need another melee unit directly opposite from the enemy the unit with flanking is attacking) but I have noticed that sometimes it doesn't trigger. When it doesn't, the attacking unit misses.
Is this the way it is supposed to work? As in, if the flank attack doesn't hit then does the normal hit not get used?

I hope you can understand what I am trying to get at here.
I understand you completely. Because it is currently on my list of fixes.

As it is set up now, you do have to hit to get your flanking attack. I try to save a critical strike card for those situations, so that I know I'll hit (and get the bonus attack).

You need to have an ally directly across from you, on the opposite side of the enemy, and your ally has to have the same attack type as you (Flanking requires melee, Crossfire requires ranged, etc.)

But that's not the way I want flanking to work, and I'll be fixing it ASAP.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Thanks Ratbeard.

Once I figured out how it worked, I really liked the idea of flanking. It adds an extra element of strategy and makes me think more about the placement of my units & the order they act in.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Has flanking changed recently? I noticed that I am now getting flanking when I miss the first attack, but not if I hit the first attack. However, an enemy with flanking was still able to get the bonus attack properly.

I'm confused now.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Never mind that, I worked out what has changed. Now, in order to flank, you need to MOVE into a square next to an enemy that has another friendly melee unit opposite, and then you will use your flank attack against that unit.
This does make flanking a bit trickier since you have to move but it does solve the issue I mentioned in my original post. And it does make flanking rank 2 more useful. Also, I assume this change has also been made to crossfire, which would make it much more usable.

But, what I really want to know now is why wasn't this change in the update notes? You have changed an epic ability quite a bit but there was no indication that it had been changed.

Developer
KiwiChickenz on Dec 15, 2012 wrote:
Never mind that, I worked out what has changed. Now, in order to flank, you need to MOVE into a square next to an enemy that has another friendly melee unit opposite, and then you will use your flank attack against that unit.
This does make flanking a bit trickier since you have to move but it does solve the issue I mentioned in my original post. And it does make flanking rank 2 more useful. Also, I assume this change has also been made to crossfire, which would make it much more usable.

But, what I really want to know now is why wasn't this change in the update notes? You have changed an epic ability quite a bit but there was no indication that it had been changed.
Technically, somebody has to move-- but it could also be your target. You'll also get Flanking if the enemy moves between two of your units. (It's really cool.)

Unfortunately, there are still some persistent bugs I am trying to work out. I can't yet give Flanking/Crossfire a clean bill of health.

Flanking is still my favorite epic (yes! more than Relentless, even!) but it is falling short of my design goals. Sometimes, what is easy to envision or to describe on paper is tougher than expected to implement.

I will be sure to let you (and Jack) know when it's working as intended.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I saw absolutely no purpose in flanking rank 2.

In flanking rank 2, you'd have to have multiple allies opposite the unit that flanks. Of course with mobs in between them. Or, throughout the course of your team's turn, get into situations were flanking would apply more than once.

At first I would have thought that flanking rank 2 would hit the same mob multiple times, but that is just not the case.