Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

FAST - question on how it works

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
The swashbuckler talent called fast states that it needs as a prerequisit the talent of stabby weapons. Does this mean you have to have a stabby weapon equipped in order for fast to work? Also what does it do, I am assuming it enables characters to move more spaces than normal during combat but I could be wrong. Additionally, does the talent of hide in shadows work without a stabby or melee weapon, going invisible has its advantages even if you don't intend to backstab. Backstab only works with stabby or melee weapons last I heard.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
The SwashBuckler talent fast:

If you are a different class, other than SwashBuckler, you must train the talent Stabby Weapon first, before you can train this talent. Stabby Weapon talent gives you +2 damage for using a Stabby Weapon, so, if you are A Privateer for example and you have Slashy Weapon talent, you can use a Slashy/Stabby Weapon, get the +2 Slashy Bonus & the +2 Stabby Bonus.

The Fast Talent increases your movement by +2 steps and no, a Stabby weapon is not required for the increase in movement.

Hide in Shadows also works without a Stabby Weapon or a Melee weapon, but this talent does increase the talent Sneak Attack, which does require a melee weapon. Any attack however, stops the use of Hiding in shadows, even attacks such as Barrage, you will no longer be hidden.

Hope this helps!

DarthJT

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I think that it only means you have to have the actual talent learned. As in, you have to have spent practice points in order to learn that talent (Stabby Weapons).

Once you learn Hide, I don't see why it would not work with any weapons or class, whether you intend to backstab or not.

Community Leader
Fast adds extra spaces to your movement, letting you move further (more spaces) each turn in battle. You do have to learn Stabby weapons first, but I'm pretty sure you don't have to have a Stabby weapon equipped to use it; once you've learned it it's always on.

Anyone can use the Hiding part of Hide In Shadows to turn invisible, but it will only boost your Backstab if you have and use the Backstab talent as well.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
I trained the swashbuckler 'fast' talent, and I'm a buccaneer. You do not have to have a stabby weapon for it to work. It does allow 2 extra spaces you can move and comes in handy!

"Hide in shadows" does work in terms of making you invisible to your enemies, but, as soon as you attack, you become uncloaked. It's awesome when used with backstab. Won't enhance weapons such as staffy.

Developer
seasnake on Oct 20, 2012 wrote:
The swashbuckler talent called fast states that it needs as a prerequisit the talent of stabby weapons. Does this mean you have to have a stabby weapon equipped in order for fast to work? Also what does it do, I am assuming it enables characters to move more spaces than normal during combat but I could be wrong. Additionally, does the talent of hide in shadows work without a stabby or melee weapon, going invisible has its advantages even if you don't intend to backstab. Backstab only works with stabby or melee weapons last I heard.
Fast doesn't require anything special to be equipped. It just increases the number of squares you can move.

Hide will also work no matter what you have equipped.

Backstab does indeed require a melee weapon equipped.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
The Requirements for Fast (Rank 1), are Stabby Weapons (Rank 1). What this means is to learn Fast (Rank 1), you must first learn Stabby Weapons (Rank 1). Nothing has to be equipped. It's just like in school. To learn Geometry, you first need Algebra.