Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Current State of Pirate101 PvP.

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 04, 2013
I've been doing Pirate 101 PvP for several years as a Musketeer (Fiery Zane Newell.) Kingsisle has done some questionable things to PvP in the past, such as allowing Charming Gaze into PvP and considering doubloons in ranked. I was able to overlook these aspects, but this recent update mixed in with old buffs to companions has broken PvP to such a point that i felt that i HAD to make a remark on it, Let me give you some examples of how PvP is now shattered: A Nausica that is buffed by firstmate's boon (The new privateer power that drops from Kane which gives extra weapon power) can EASILY eliminate 1-2 musketeer companions a round due to our overwatch and quick draw which triggers her 600+ damage grits. Blast of discord is also a very hated new privateer power, myself and other top PvP players have gotten to red or died in a turn in ranked matches considering you cannot move the very first turn, making you extremely susceptible to this power. If blast of discord is this deadly in 1v1's, imagine the damage it could cause in team PvP if the opponents get first turn, it's almost impossible to counter it. Another important topic is the "Fort glitch," this "glitch" happens in some 4v4's where any summons/pets in combat don't move, and if you stack 3+ forts, these forts cannot be purged nor do they disappear after their timer runs out, this has been a thing for many years now, making team PvP much less favored over 1v1. i'm hoping you guys take this seriously considering how much of an impact it has on the PvP community. Scratch has also played a huge role in breaking PvP, Super big guns from a privateer with Scratch's 100% Spell power buff does 1500 damage in a 3x3 radius, not to mention that this is an infinite range power that doesn't need sight..... How is this fair? It simply isn't. If you joined ranked PvP queue anywhere over 200+ rank, you would never run into a privateer/witch who doesn't use scratch, and i can't blame them for using Scratch, his buffs are simply too good to pass up on.

I suggest making the following changes to help improve the state of PvP:
1) Reduce how much weapon power can be given to a unit by using Firstmate's boon (Around 100 would decrease the power of Firstmate's boon, while still having it viable in PvP)
2) Make Blast of Discord PvE only, this power is simply impossible to counter if the opponent gets first turn in ranked PvP, and is extremely overpowered in aspects of team PvP.
3) PLEASE fix the "Fort glitch" this has been an issue for years now and i'm hoping the devs can finally make 4v4's fun again.
4) I understand why people would want Scratch to stay the same, but most of the classes who use him currently (Musketeers, Privateers, Witchdoctors,) were all good classes BEFORE the release of Scratch's new powers. I suggest making the 100% Spell Power buff given from him to be PvE only, The damage dealt from Spooky based powers with this on is just too devastating and honestly needs to be removed from PvP

Thank you

Ensign
Jul 06, 2012
I agree as a Witchdoctor who's played since beta, I've never felt that there was such a set "meta" and tiers of classes until now. Also, if witchdoctors "charm" could be given back, that'd be fantastic.

Ensign
Oct 13, 2012
Hello Zane. I've been doing PvP ever since the first day the Brawling Hall came out on every class except Swashbuckler and I've got to say I agree with some of this. To start off I don't think Blast of Discord should be PvE only because it's all Privateers have since they took away stacking buffs in PvP. Without Blast of Discord, Privateers are really useless in PvP. I also don't think Old Scratch buffs should be removed because he needed a serious update and almost every class except buccaneers and swashbucklers can benefit from him. If you ask me, PvP fell down ever since Nausica got introduced. Having a musket which could charge was a crazy idea and there is no way to run away or counter her really. Than when swashbucklers hidden was not able to be removed, it made them almost unstoppable, specifically with black fog. I agree that charming gaze was too much for PvP, but I think Witchdoctors charm should work again in PvP and their mojo echo should go back to being able to activate once they use a power such as mojo storm or soulreaver.

Since you posted some ideas for upgrades I will do the same.
1.Since we cannot stack them anymore, return all buffs back to their normal 10 rounds such as Privateers battle zeal and Buccaneers Levithan Call. Also buffs not being able to be stacked ruined 4v4 a lot. I hope they take that into consideration.
2. Make witchdoctors charm be able to be used in PvP again along with their mojo echo to activate once they use a power.
3. Have hidden be able to be removed by hits again
4. If it is possible, have another big board like the brawling hall used to be
5. Make Nausica damage less or give her some type of flaw
6. Make relentless 3 better

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
Fiery Zane Newell on Jun 27, 2016 wrote:
I've been doing Pirate 101 PvP for several years as a Musketeer (Fiery Zane Newell.) Kingsisle has done some questionable things to PvP in the past, such as allowing Charming Gaze into PvP and considering doubloons in ranked. I was able to overlook these aspects, but this recent update mixed in with old buffs to companions has broken PvP to such a point that i felt that i HAD to make a remark on it, Let me give you some examples of how PvP is now shattered: A Nausica that is buffed by firstmate's boon (The new privateer power that drops from Kane which gives extra weapon power) can EASILY eliminate 1-2 musketeer companions a round due to our overwatch and quick draw which triggers her 600+ damage grits. Blast of discord is also a very hated new privateer power, myself and other top PvP players have gotten to red or died in a turn in ranked matches considering you cannot move the very first turn, making you extremely susceptible to this power. If blast of discord is this deadly in 1v1's, imagine the damage it could cause in team PvP if the opponents get first turn, it's almost impossible to counter it. Another important topic is the "Fort glitch," this "glitch" happens in some 4v4's where any summons/pets in combat don't move, and if you stack 3+ forts, these forts cannot be purged nor do they disappear after their timer runs out, this has been a thing for many years now, making team PvP much less favored over 1v1. i'm hoping you guys take this seriously considering how much of an impact it has on the PvP community. Scratch has also played a huge role in breaking PvP, Super big guns from a privateer with Scratch's 100% Spell power buff does 1500 damage in a 3x3 radius, not to mention that this is an infinite range power that doesn't need sight..... How is this fair? It simply isn't. If you joined ranked PvP queue anywhere over 200+ rank, you would never run into a privateer/witch who doesn't use scratch, and i can't blame them for using Scratch, his buffs are simply too good to pass up on.

1) Reduce how much weapon power can be given to a unit by using Firstmate's boon (Around 100 would decrease the power of Firstmate's boon, while still having it viable in PvP)
2) Make Blast of Discord PvE only, this power is simply impossible to counter if the opponent gets first turn in ranked PvP, and is extremely overpowered in aspects of team PvP.
3) PLEASE fix the "Fort glitch" this has been an issue for years now and i'm hoping the devs can finally make 4v4's fun again.
4) I understand why people would want Scratch to stay the same, but most of the classes who use him currently (Musketeers, Privateers, Witchdoctors,) were all good classes BEFORE the release of Scratch's new powers. I suggest making the 100% Spell Power buff given from him to be PvE only, The damage dealt from Spooky based powers with this on is just too devastating and honestly needs to be removed from PvP

Thank you
Hello Zane, Quick Harry Abbott here! I 100% agree with you. I have not posted on the message boards for some time now but seeing as you posted this I simply could not resist to comment on this topic. You brought up some matters that really needed to be addressed such as the FORT GLITCH which occurs in 4v4 matches. I'm not certain how the fort glitch happens but what I do know is it needs to be patched, It discourages well thought out 4v4 matches which is a huge aspect of group events. Another fantastic topic you brought up is blast of discord: this power is broken, now I know there will be some one out there who says "no its not it does like no damage", Well yes but it has the possibility to kill a pirate first turn, this happened to me and some other people I know; Which brings: me to my point NO power should be able to one turn a pirate. Making blast of discord PvE only is a fair option or making it have a set amount of hits. You could say "but Harry bring a will based team" I could but not only would it cripple me but it still has the chance to kill me first turn. First mates boon needs addressing too, in my opinion Kingslsle should keep the damage the same but add a reduce moment on the unit boon is used on, this would stop people from popping boon 2nd turn after forting a companion first turn then rushing it in.
Quick Harry Abbott PvP Champion

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
1. Yes please
2. YES
3. Never head of it but from your description, it seems like a huge problem
4. Perhaps just give him a 75% buff for 3 rounds

Lvl 70
Lvl 59
Lvl 22

Ensign
Feb 18, 2013

Thank you
I totally agree with whatever you said above, it's just right. The new powers, entirely and precisely ruined the PvP Balance. There's just no doubt that majority of the people are choosing Privateers just because of BoD and Boon.
So, I just strongly request the Kingsisle team to look & think about this unbalanced phenomena of PvP community, so that we can enjoy the game even more...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Disloyal1 on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:
Hello Zane. I've been doing PvP ever since the first day the Brawling Hall came out on every class except Swashbuckler and I've got to say I agree with some of this. To start off I don't think Blast of Discord should be PvE only because it's all Privateers have since they took away stacking buffs in PvP. Without Blast of Discord, Privateers are really useless in PvP. I also don't think Old Scratch buffs should be removed because he needed a serious update and almost every class except buccaneers and swashbucklers can benefit from him. If you ask me, PvP fell down ever since Nausica got introduced. Having a musket which could charge was a crazy idea and there is no way to run away or counter her really. Than when swashbucklers hidden was not able to be removed, it made them almost unstoppable, specifically with black fog. I agree that charming gaze was too much for PvP, but I think Witchdoctors charm should work again in PvP and their mojo echo should go back to being able to activate once they use a power such as mojo storm or soulreaver.

1.Since we cannot stack them anymore, return all buffs back to their normal 10 rounds such as Privateers battle zeal and Buccaneers Levithan Call. Also buffs not being able to be stacked ruined 4v4 a lot. I hope they take that into consideration.
2. Make witchdoctors charm be able to be used in PvP again along with their mojo echo to activate once they use a power.
3. absolutely not, this would ruin the SB class to the point of being not viable in PVP.
Also, please remember that Ratbeard has said that he's not a fan of reducing a power just for PVP situations.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
From your descriptions BoD does seem a problem - how is it that a power that doesn't do that much damage in PVE suddenly is KO-ing in one round a pirate in PVP?
Perhaps make so that BoD doesn't trigger criticals or talents? ( FS, Riposte, Vengeance, etc..)
It seems "first turn advantage" ( a W101 PVP problem ) has finally made its way into P101.
I'm truly against an outright ban on signature class powers because where do you draw the line? Nerfing just for PVP? Ratbeard has said that he was against that.
I haven't been PVP - ing much as I haven't the crowns to engage in ranked, but when I did I had fun and I know how important this is to many of you who are my friends.

Ensign
Dec 26, 2012
Totally agreed and another thing you need to nerf are the terra cota summons the scorpians and fall trees make them like the basic skeleton summons so they do less damage and get rid of their 100% hits.

Ensign
Dec 26, 2012
I very much agree. Another thing that needs to get nerfed are the broken summons because scorpians can still do 200+ even with a valor fortress on and with banner as well the moo robe can still get like 3+ vicious charges and the trees with their hold the line a 100+ critical strikes.

Ensign
Feb 04, 2013

I seriously don't agree with you saying "Privateers are useless in PvP without Blast of Discord" Privateers were a staple class for all aspects of PvP before Discord and Spell power buffs got introduced into the game, they've also been considered the best class for awhile now. I agree with you when saying 3/5 of the current classes benefit from Scratch's new buffs, but these 3 classes benefit TOO much from his 3 turn 100% Spell power increase. Removing the 3 turn buff from PvP will still keep Scratch a strong companion, while introducing variety into Musketeer's, Witchdoctor's, and Privateer's strategies for ranked PvP and practice matches.

Fiery Zane Newell

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
Basically everything you said I've been yelling at random people in ranked.

Something huge I've been suggesting for as long as first mate's boon was out was the power seriously was way too op for first or second round instant charges. The fact is common rush companions such as goro or nausica can basically guarantee auto kills with boon 99% of the time. Generally whenever boon was brought up, I would always suggest it needed half the buff it has, a 125 weapon power buff instead of an outrageous 250 would be much more appropriate. Seriously the fact that it reduces the caster's weapon makes it seem slightly out of place.
Something else, is the fact that when I was messing around with it, I noticed that it's formula with things such as hide boosted, back stab, etc. was ineffective as it seemed to add the damage on top of the damage that would of been dealt, basically this mean contessa and her hide boosted back stab's would do an extra 200-300 damage instead of nearly double, this mean companions that rely on long chains instead of single hit benefit most from this, basically it means boon goro/centaur is generally auto GG 80% of the time.

Blast of Discord deserves an instant ban from ranked as it literally impossible to counter and impossible to guess how it may turn out as it is 100% luck based.
I too have been one rounded by this insanely infuriating move, the most bothering thing is why does privateer have this power? The overall idea of said power has nothing to do with privateer and I believe it deserves no place in this game.
I've only used it about for times until I saw it was a ridiculous game I didn't want to play.

Scratch, bothers me very much as well, mostly because why does it have three buffs instead of one?
That is a LOT of rounds or ridiculous heals and yes insane bomb spam. The fact scratch works so well extremely bothers me as I've seen countless privy lately that run a Scratch, Emmet, March team, basically they rely on will buff for super bombs,

Petty Officer
Jan 03, 2010
Everything brought up here has definitely crossed my mind more than once!

The fort glitch almost completely ruins enjoying 4v4 at all because the mechanics of shields are completely broken when the glitch occurs (Shields last forever and stack throughout the entire match), allowing units to probably be immune at a point if you get every possible shield you can on them.

I've stated my opinion on Blast of Discord in it's separate thread already, I suggest everyone go give it a read.

The other 2 things already but I definitely agreed with them strongly enough to comment, having been an arena rat since launch myself.

Please hear our cries!

Noble Wolf Hawkins

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
Continued, The idea itself I'm gonna kill you with critical bombs is so infuriating as one, even with enduring and will buff they will have less then 50% chance to critical yet it still works. Secondly, they at any moment can suddenly make a VA that blocks +2700, not to mention bladestorm doesn't activate on VA due to that glitched as well. Seriously whenever I fight people who use the overpowered boosted VA strategy, and I don't carry purge, I have almost nothing to do if they are actually making sound moves. To be honest I think boosted VA stacking is probably the most op thing about scratch. Because literally its a +2700 shield that glitch blocks bladestorm, a would of been way to chain on it to break said shield.

Honestly Blast of Discord deserves no place in this game at all, as it literally involves next to NO strategy or any approach at that matter.
Scratch, has no need for so many buffs, as they literally last over 10 rounds enough to set a game's outcome in motion. Give him one.
First mate's boon, I believe should have three range and half the damage buff it does now, or maybe a little less.

Also something really huge that is extremely bothering to me at least, is how criticals work. First of all criticals themselves are not calculated using accuracy instead if the hit would of been a critical or not. I know this very well since I have lost countless matches to late game critical chains while in elusive with an espirit or when the enemy is reduced.

The fact is so many things combined break PVP as it often forces you to resort to them or be at a major disadvantage, in my opinion if you need to use something to counter itself, something is wrong.

Ensign
Jan 04, 2014

Thank you
I also agree with him on this topic. BOD is too overpowered and it is able to go on as long as your team is adjacent, which always happens first turn. The other day a privateer used it first turn and my pirate died, which left my companions at half health each. The rest was just a scratch buff and bomb spammed. Privateers need to be nerfed and BOD needs to be made PvE only. If blood flames are PvE only i don't see why BOD is for PvP. Also the fort glitch is something that needs to be fixed if anyone wants to play 4v4 matches cleanly. The glitch would make someone who used fort keep that fort on until the match is over. Not even purge can get rid of it. Also during that glitch, no pets or summons move. Also with firstmate's boon, a privateer can really just boon nausica the 2nd turn they get and charge her in. She will most likely one turn the pirate or even 2 companions. This needs to be nerfed to only a percentage of your weapon power. So again as suggested:

1) BOD should be PvE only
2) Firstmate's boon should only give 25 percent of your weapon power to companions
3)The only scratch buff that should be allowed in PvP is the 25% boost for 10 rounds. The other 2 should be PvE only.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
I read the above and would agree with most of it. In rank pvp due to the size of the board, Scratch buff is not as much of a problem. I do think that blast of should pve only just cause it is so rng based; it either does 200 damage or it one shots a pirate in the first turn.

For spar pvp, I agree that Scratch should be limited to his 25% buff only. I also agree that the fort glitch should be fixed, and, of course, blast of cheese should be pve only for spar as well.

I have no problem with boon because it is not rng bassed. It is a little overpowered, but I think the way to balance it is to give better abilities to other classes instead of nerfing it.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Great post Zane. I agree with everything you have outlined.

The 4v4 Fort Glitch has been a huge part of why so many people have been avoiding doing 4v4 matches. This has been around for years now and KingsIsle has yet to even acknowledge the problem. Once the glitch kicks in, a 4v4 will never finish because of how easy it is to abuse the glitch.

As for your other points, I agree wholeheartedly as well. Funny enough, 2 of problems you listed (Blast of Discord and Firstmate's Boon) are unique to Privateers only and I'm really not sure what KingsIsle was thinking introducing these powers with the Valencia update.

Blast of Discord. The turn one problem was something that was brought up from the start once it came out in the test realm. I went back and forth a lot with Ratbeard about it, and yet, after all the changes he made to Discord, the one change he didn't make was the most important one. This power is absolutely broken turn 1. Makes for a very unfair match.

Firstmate's Boon is a bit more manageable, but still pretty broken in combination with Nausica or another companion that can charge right in. The worse is the hidden into firstmate's boon combo that gives the companion over 400 weapon power. Not sure if this interaction was intended, but a Nausica or Goro with that much power can decimate companions in a turn like nothing.

I actually like where PvP is at the moment for every other class except for Privateers. I have been having a lot of fun when I'm vs Musketeers, Buccaneers, Swashbucklers or Witchdoctors. Win or lose, even when I get flawless by a certain Musketeer , it has been fun and hasn't seem "unfair" for the most part.

But when I'm vs a Privateer? All the fun leaves. From turn one, I just hope that their discord doesn't hurt me too much, since there is nothing I can do about it. The whole duel after that just feels horrible and is making ranked PvP a frustrating experience.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2011
Some suggestions for PVP:

1) Let the witchdoctor Charm power be allowed in PVP as suggested by others. Ratbeard, I understand that you raised concerns about it not working properly in Battle Royale, but that should not be too much of an issue and can be dealt with.

2) Create a penalty for declining matches in rank PVP. For example, a small loss of rank points. This should not be an issue for a person who has to occasionally decline a match, but on the other hand, it should discourage people from cheating in rank by trying to get matches with specific people in order to get free wins

Ensign
Nov 04, 2012
I agree with everything zane has said, I remember a time when pvp was not to the point where only 2 classes can do well. This game has become so unbalanced its disgusting. I have been one turned multiple times in ranked by firstmates boon and it is not possible to counter. On top of that if it only brings me to half they have scratch buff up the next round so they can finish me off very easily. Privy has become the only playable class at this point If you want to do decent in ranked and it is just sad. KI needs to fix there game before it dies even more then it has

Ensign
Apr 17, 2015
Just saying, they probably did this because they don't care about the game anymore. It's losing money anyways. Plus, they do get money since people like myself are deciding to make privateers/work on privy to pvp

Ensign
Jun 26, 2013
Hey Zane i completely agree with your claims about these serious matters in the pvp community there are to many powers that are based off off luck for example, blast of discord 25% of my matches were won because of blast of discord. Unfortunately when you face a privateer there is a big chance the match is going to be who gets luckier. Regarding the fort glitch it needs to be fixed immediately because team pvp is less thought about by the day which is why many people only 1v1.

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
When I first read this post, I was kinda annoyed honestly, since Discord ALWAYS hates me, but thinking about it more and more, I think that they do need to change discord at least.

1. I actually don't think that boon should be changed at all. It can be countered with anything with hold the line / overwatch to minimize damage, and can be purged off and killed quite quickly, making it a 3 vs 4/3. Another way to counter it is to try and stop possible rushes from companions with boon. Scorpions, barricade, trees, rat, etc. Ratbeard would even be one of the best, since he can withstand a goro, and chances are, nausica with a centaur charge won't exactly chain all over him.
2. I personally only use discord against bucklers who fog round 1, because I do find it a little disgusting. Instead of banning discord from pvp entirely, why not just make it up to 2 hits every time to use it? So while it is still RNG based, it's not going to do very much, since each unit can only hit up to 2 times. With this, it would still give us a few turns to be able to apply pressure, yet not allowing it to one round the opponent.
3. Never heard/ seen of it, but from the sound of it, it should be fixed.
4. I personally don't use scratch, since I only carry 3 bombs and 3 revives. However, think about the loss of the offensive pressure that witches can create. Before Scratch, the majority of witches struggled with Bucks, Bucklers, and really any class besides musket. Now that robes are weakened and can't stop rushes as well, they're best solution is the fall weapon. A solution that I think is good for VA stacking is to simply not allow VA's to stack, but let forts and levy stay the same, or even better, carry purge.

For another reply, weakening summons is a bad idea, because some classes use summons for support/defensive reasons, and would lose a lot of that power, thus making staffy privy less common, and witches losing a lot of good resources.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015

Woah ok you lost me at the make battle zeal go for 10 rounds point!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Would it be possible that BoD is made unavailable first round ( just as we can't move during that round )? This will allow counters such as scattering or shielding.
Is there any other way besides banning a signature class power in PVP? As a swashbuckler, you can understand why I ask this.
Yes, allow Charm & Charming Gaze. I have always wanted this power restored to witches. Yes, but make Zeal 5 rounds instead of three. ( Please not ten rounds, I still have scars from that. )
Yes, limit range of FMB. ( PVP only ). It's scary how many of these a Privy can carry - my Privy has at least 3 and can equip one more.
Declining a match? Does that mean they take a look at your class and flee? How cowardly! There should be a timing penalty such as when we decline a team-up.

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
Kai Quincy on Jun 28, 2016 wrote:
I also agree with him on this topic. BOD is too overpowered and it is able to go on as long as your team is adjacent, which always happens first turn. The other day a privateer used it first turn and my pirate died, which left my companions at half health each. The rest was just a scratch buff and bomb spammed. Privateers need to be nerfed and BOD needs to be made PvE only. If blood flames are PvE only i don't see why BOD is for PvP. Also the fort glitch is something that needs to be fixed if anyone wants to play 4v4 matches cleanly. The glitch would make someone who used fort keep that fort on until the match is over. Not even purge can get rid of it. Also during that glitch, no pets or summons move. Also with firstmate's boon, a privateer can really just boon nausica the 2nd turn they get and charge her in. She will most likely one turn the pirate or even 2 companions. This needs to be nerfed to only a percentage of your weapon power. So again as suggested:

1) BOD should be PvE only
2) Firstmate's boon should only give 25 percent of your weapon power to companions
3)The only scratch buff that should be allowed in PvP is the 25% boost for 10 rounds. The other 2 should be PvE only.
I disagree with your suggestions for BOD and First mate's boon. Firstly worth mentioning BOD, in my opinions has no place in the GAME itself as it is literally 100% luck, not fitting a "strategy" game. As to first mate's boon, I find 25% to be a little minuscule. I will admit I generally use weapons such as sea sheller which may make it seem smaller to me, but 25% sounds like 60 damage boost, this is less then the average buck has armor. Frankly the original attack buff (Forgot name because its so useless) gives about 25 assuming not boosted by will and 60 though better is not much useful compared to, say a kraken's coils. To be honest I feel like a damage buff that's actually good would of been appropriate assuming scratch didn't exist.
Also first mate's boon is yes powerful, but not to an insane extent as Blast Of Discord. I feel like first mate's boon deserves at least a little time before its reduced down to 60 damage, 120 seems appropriate to me.
A weaker first mate's boon would of been appropriate first season for privateer, as I will say I feel like a good buck running the seriously underrated Tide 3 Elusive 3 would leave me hopeless. Egg Shen would only hit with his too criticals then miss even with a zeal thanks to the combo, toro would get stunned then chained, even with zeal, and bonnie died even with forts.
Also if first mate's boon drops damage to say 120 then it should either,
A. get 3 range instead of 1
or
B. lose the damage debuff to the caster
Also I completely agree scratch has no need for 3 buffs generally all you need for him to be useful is the 25% buff which adds about 100 or so to guns and group heals.
Worth mentioning if changes are applied then witch and musket need buffing, such as better dodge, more range, changing critical formula, or making the musket gear dropped by Kane not complete garbage that will only ever be useful for stitching.
Though I feel the current critical mechanics need to be changed as fast as everything else.