Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Is Avery on our side?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 07, 2011
One thing that I have wondered for some time now is who's side is Avery on?

The reason I wonder if Avery may not be on our side is because (starting with the small reasons why first) He is like the king of skull island skyway and has always wanted to build up a kingdom of pirates from what I understand it.

Second is that he sent you (the pirate player) to seek out the golden city of Eldorado. if you ask me, he wants that gold for himself, perfect plan, right? Have a young pirate do the dirty work for him in finding the city.

After all, we are talking about the Avery who asked the pirate to find his amulet before helping the pirate with a ship, and once the pirate does find the amulet, Avery repaid s the pirate with a raft!!

What do you think about this?

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
buzz123432 on May 9, 2016 wrote:

The reason I wonder if Avery may not be on our side is because (starting with the small reasons why first) He is like the king of skull island skyway and has always wanted to build up a kingdom of pirates from what I understand it.

Second is that he sent you (the pirate player) to seek out the golden city of Eldorado. if you ask me, he wants that gold for himself, perfect plan, right? Have a young pirate do the dirty work for him in finding the city.

After all, we are talking about the Avery who asked the pirate to find his amulet before helping the pirate with a ship, and once the pirate does find the amulet, Avery repaid s the pirate with a raft!!

Just because someone isn't a saint doesn't mean they're the devil.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

Oh yes, I'm sure he'll find a way to cheat us of our share of El Dorado's loot, but as Ratbeard once said: "That's just piratin'."
But he is on our side when it comes to fighting the Armada.

Petty Officer
Oct 31, 2012
I think Avery is behind the whole thing. Captain Blood when he talks sure sounds alot like Avery!

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
It may be easier to tell as we progress down the road, but for now, only time can tell.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
It's interesting.. but I dont see it happening.

Avery is a figure for everyone, every young pirate visit him all the time.

I mean, suppose he's a bad guy and we eventually beat him, what happens to Skull Island?

It would be weird Skull Island change for high level pirates and not for lower ones (who didnt reach that supposed part of the story yet).

It should remain unchanged, maybe for technical reasons too.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
He is definitely currently on our side, if we fail getting to El Dorado then he doesn't get anything, not that but we are fighting against the armada which happens to be enemies of Skull Island

Double cross us? Yes he is a pirate

Betray us? No way

Ensign
Dec 02, 2014
SpellBinder Darius on May 10, 2016 wrote:
He is definitely currently on our side, if we fail getting to El Dorado then he doesn't get anything, not that but we are fighting against the armada which happens to be enemies of Skull Island

Double cross us? Yes he is a pirate

Betray us? No way
Double crossing and betraying is the same thing lol. Just wanted to point that out.

Bosun
Mar 04, 2012
Well Avary is a old pirate so he's bound to be a little bit of a double crosser but I doubt he would be working for the armada at best I just say to keep a eye on him

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Avery is on Avery's side. If we happen to be standing on the same side, it's just a coincidence that happens to be favoring us for the moment. Remember that there are not only two sides to anything.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
I got a bad feeling about this,once our pirate gathered all the map pics.There is two good reason why Captain Avery is going to betray our pirate character(s).

1.He blamed us for the Moo Shu Falcon.

2.Once all the map pics are obtained he would flee,after showing the complete map.If that happened that would be the ultimate mutiny,that our pirate character(s) have to deal with.In other words,our pirate character(s) might have to battle him in El Dorado.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
WizardryMastery on May 10, 2016 wrote:
Double crossing and betraying is the same thing lol. Just wanted to point that out.
By double crossing I meant in a piratey manner, betraying is more serious like fighting us

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
"Double crossing and betraying is the same thing lol. Just wanted to point that out."

Well, not exactly. You can "betray" someone accidentally (the whole "loose lips sinks ships" kind of thing); "double cross" means actively and deliberately working against someone you had promised to aid.

Not that, umm, I am an expert on that sort of activity, or anything. Ahem.

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Indigo Ring on May 11, 2016 wrote:
"Double crossing and betraying is the same thing lol. Just wanted to point that out."

Well, not exactly. You can "betray" someone accidentally (the whole "loose lips sinks ships" kind of thing); "double cross" means actively and deliberately working against someone you had promised to aid.

Not that, umm, I am an expert on that sort of activity, or anything. Ahem.

-Indigo
Of course we trust you, Indigo! ( checks my pockets and counts the silver ware. )

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Monkrinx2024 on May 11, 2016 wrote:
I got a bad feeling about this,once our pirate gathered all the map pics.There is two good reason why Captain Avery is going to betray our pirate character(s).

1.He blamed us for the Moo Shu Falcon.

2.Once all the map pics are obtained he would flee,after showing the complete map.If that happened that would be the ultimate mutiny,that our pirate character(s) have to deal with.In other words,our pirate character(s) might have to battle him in El Dorado.
I suspect Captain Avery will 'pull a fast one' and trick us out of at least some of our share of the treasure from El Dorado. As Ratbeard would explain: "That's just piratin'". However...

1) Avery blamed us for the theft of the MooShu Falcon because he genuinely suspected us of playing 'distraction' while an associate grabbed the goods (it's the sort of thing Avery would do, isn't it?). He was also shrewd enough to realize that if we were innocent, then we would work very hard to recover the Falcon... because otherwise we would lose the only home we had, not to mention the need to avoid being captured and imprisoned by the Armada. Again.

2)Avery has us hang on to the map pieces because it allows us to be the target. Not him. Meanwhile, he finds out what information he can, we do the work, run the risks, and he has the happy knowledge that if we are successful, he is going to be one very, very rich Governor of Skull Island. If we lose, he hasn't lost anything either.

3) Avery knows what side his bread is buttered on. While he might make some moves to placate the Armada that would be detrimental to our health, ultimately he would not side with the Armada. The Armada intends the destruction of all pirates, and I am sure Skull Island has a big fat target on it as far as the Armada is concerned! If the Armada wins, Avery certainly isn't going to be enjoying a large share of an enormous treasure, or any tenure as leader of a pirate republic. Indeed, there might not even be a Skull Island anymore! All the more reason to support a young, talented pirate that might have a chance against this formidable enemy.

Captain
May 16, 2011
Anne Radcliffe on May 18, 2016 wrote:
I suspect Captain Avery will 'pull a fast one' and trick us out of at least some of our share of the treasure from El Dorado. As Ratbeard would explain: "That's just piratin'". However...

1) Avery blamed us for the theft of the MooShu Falcon because he genuinely suspected us of playing 'distraction' while an associate grabbed the goods (it's the sort of thing Avery would do, isn't it?). He was also shrewd enough to realize that if we were innocent, then we would work very hard to recover the Falcon... because otherwise we would lose the only home we had, not to mention the need to avoid being captured and imprisoned by the Armada. Again.

2)Avery has us hang on to the map pieces because it allows us to be the target. Not him. Meanwhile, he finds out what information he can, we do the work, run the risks, and he has the happy knowledge that if we are successful, he is going to be one very, very rich Governor of Skull Island. If we lose, he hasn't lost anything either.

3) Avery knows what side his bread is buttered on. While he might make some moves to placate the Armada that would be detrimental to our health, ultimately he would not side with the Armada. The Armada intends the destruction of all pirates, and I am sure Skull Island has a big fat target on it as far as the Armada is concerned! If the Armada wins, Avery certainly isn't going to be enjoying a large share of an enormous treasure, or any tenure as leader of a pirate republic. Indeed, there might not even be a Skull Island anymore! All the more reason to support a young, talented pirate that might have a chance against this formidable enemy.
I couldn't have said it any better myself. Never before has a yar been so worthy. I'd be very surprised if Avery doesn't trick us, perhaps I'd even be disappointed. I'd like to see more pirating in the game. I feel like for being a pirate, we don't to enough pirating. I personally hope that if Avery does trick us, a companion will suggest it might happen, so we plan to double-cross the double-crosser.

~ Hank

Ensign
Aug 08, 2010

If it comes down to how loot is split, I wouldn't trust Avery any farther than I could throw him. However, when it comes to us vs. the Armada, then I at least trust Avery not to actively work against us. The Armada wants all pirates gone, and in true rogue robot fashion, they don't keep any pirate "allies" to use against us. Now, if we get in a fight with clockworks while Avery's around, and things go south, he'll be gone faster that the last bottle of yum at a Birth-oween party, but he is on our side.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on May 18, 2016 wrote:

Well said, as per usual.

Ensign
Mar 29, 2010
I think Avery might be Phule (not sure if i spelled that right), but they're both tall/skinny and calculating individuals. Also I'm only on book 7, so if I'm wrong just don't reply and let me find out for myself lol.

Bloody Belle, level 27 Witchdoctor

Ensign
Aug 08, 2010
Ellie Goldenheart on Jun 2, 2016 wrote:
I think Avery might be Phule (not sure if i spelled that right), but they're both tall/skinny and calculating individuals. Also I'm only on book 7, so if I'm wrong just don't reply and let me find out for myself lol.

Bloody Belle, level 27 Witchdoctor
You did spell it right, but I really doubt Avery is Phule. It just doesn't make sense. Avery has a well established history that began during the Polarian War. Now, we know that Kane wasn't created until late into the war, and that Kane later made the other Elites, so I don't really see how Avery could be Phule. It's an interesting theory, but one that doesn't hold up. Also, I think that Blind Mew shot that down in one of his Musing threads.

Ensign
May 26, 2014
I think Avery is with us most of the way, like fighting the Armada and stuff. But I have a feeling he's also sending
you (the player) the city, not just for your benefit but Avery will try to get something out of it as well.

Ensign
Jun 09, 2016
Sensible Seamus on May 9, 2016 wrote:
I think Avery is behind the whole thing. Captain Blood when he talks sure sounds alot like Avery!
With that same logic, Morgan LaFitte and Madame Vadima are the same person, because they sound alike.

You could say the same for several other characters. KingsIsle has limited voice actors and actresses, of course they would use the same one for different characters.

If you want my thoughts on this topic, I think Avery is on our side, but he may be a bit tricky. For instance, he may manipulate us into doing something reckless. After all, Headmaster Ambrose never betrayed us. Captain Avery will be no different more than likely.

Ensign
Apr 07, 2011
Who knows, If it comes down to it, BoochBeard or and Mr. Gandery could replace him.