Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companions that Suprised You in Battle

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
As you all know there are a multitude of companions in the game, some are absolutely amazing with all the best epics and powers, while others might never land hit and are generally "bad." However, never judge a book by its cover. I personally love using companions that are normally considered "bad." I always have my battle order set to "First Mate," so I can make the most out of different companions.

Sadly, when you get to Books 13 and 14, you need your best fighters with you at all times. But, even then, they may go down to a chain of crits or a relentless/burst fire chain.

When I was in Aquila, my team on my Swashbuckler pirate was El Toro, Bonnie Anne, and Ratbeard/Subodai (depending on the battle). Whenever a companion was defeated in battle, I was forced to used someone else, and in Bonnie's case, I used a companion that really suprised me at how amazing he was in battle and that companion was Buffalo Bill.

After his promotion at level 60, he put in nothing but the finest of work. Whenever Bonnie fell in battle, I knew that we would still get through the dungeon because Bill had my back. Mechanically, it didn't really make sense because Bill doesn't have access to burst fire like Bonnie, but nevertheless, he kicked butt and took names every time he came into battle.

My question is this, what companion really suprised you in battle? That, despite initial doubts, really came through in fights.

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
Grizzley117 on Jan 12, 2016 wrote:
As you all know there are a multitude of companions in the game, some are absolutely amazing with all the best epics and powers, while others might never land hit and are generally "bad." However, never judge a book by its cover. I personally love using companions that are normally considered "bad." I always have my battle order set to "First Mate," so I can make the most out of different companions.

Sadly, when you get to Books 13 and 14, you need your best fighters with you at all times. But, even then, they may go down to a chain of crits or a relentless/burst fire chain.

When I was in Aquila, my team on my Swashbuckler pirate was El Toro, Bonnie Anne, and Ratbeard/Subodai (depending on the battle). Whenever a companion was defeated in battle, I was forced to used someone else, and in Bonnie's case, I used a companion that really suprised me at how amazing he was in battle and that companion was Buffalo Bill.

After his promotion at level 60, he put in nothing but the finest of work. Whenever Bonnie fell in battle, I knew that we would still get through the dungeon because Bill had my back. Mechanically, it didn't really make sense because Bill doesn't have access to burst fire like Bonnie, but nevertheless, he kicked butt and took names every time he came into battle.

My question is this, what companion really suprised you in battle? That, despite initial doubts, really came through in fights.

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15
For me it's El Toro, and Gaspard de Vole. For the longest time, they sucked in my opinion. Then I beat Rook with them, after having him defeat a whole slew of other companions. NEED I SAY MORE!?

The Grin Reaper

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Grizzley117 on Jan 12, 2016 wrote:

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15
Oooh, this is a very good ( & original ) question, Grizzley117!
I have 2 companions who I use in the Tower of Moo Manchu that sometimes garner a question or two along the lines of "Why are you using him/her?"
The first really came as a surprise to me, my Monquistador Veteran. I had rarely used him after Valencia and he was at the back page when Advanced Companions went through ( although I had got him to max level. )
Then on one run in Moo's Tower I decided to use him on floor 9 ( the terror-cotta floor ). "Hey," I thought, "He has Hold the Line 3, why not use him to stop those cotta?" And if he was defeated I wouldn't cry, because he wasn't a favorite.
Well, he not only stopped the charge, he actually landed a couple of criticals and survived the battle!
My second is Mustang Sally, yeah, I know some SBs can't stand her, but pair her with El Toro and she's pretty good. In fact, one time , she was getting chain after chain of criticals and one swashbuckler was so impressed, he asked how I trained her and that he would start using her ( with El Toro ) for more battles!
But alas, my Crab Hermit & Nurse Quinn have yet to impress me.
You're right about Buffalo Bill, in a tight corner, he really can perform well!

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
The Grin Reaper on Jan 12, 2016 wrote:
For me it's El Toro, and Gaspard de Vole. For the longest time, they sucked in my opinion. Then I beat Rook with them, after having him defeat a whole slew of other companions. NEED I SAY MORE!?

The Grin Reaper
Gaspard de Vole is amazing. My first play through of the game (all the way back on launch day), I chose Gaspard de Vole for my privateer because the idea of using a Guinea pig with a polearm is just too good of an opportunity to miss:)

And another one that really suprised me was Gracie Conrad (also on my Swashbuckler). I had played with Gracie before and while a fun companion to use, I never really used her, but she soloed Rooke. No joke, she got a blade storm and vengeance strike chain and she didn't pull any punches if you know what I mean. I just sat there gaping at her as Rooke's health slowly dwindled down to zero. Twas very brutal indeed.

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
anecorbie on Jan 12, 2016 wrote:
Oooh, this is a very good ( & original ) question, Grizzley117!
I have 2 companions who I use in the Tower of Moo Manchu that sometimes garner a question or two along the lines of "Why are you using him/her?"
The first really came as a surprise to me, my Monquistador Veteran. I had rarely used him after Valencia and he was at the back page when Advanced Companions went through ( although I had got him to max level. )
Then on one run in Moo's Tower I decided to use him on floor 9 ( the terror-cotta floor ). "Hey," I thought, "He has Hold the Line 3, why not use him to stop those cotta?" And if he was defeated I wouldn't cry, because he wasn't a favorite.
Well, he not only stopped the charge, he actually landed a couple of criticals and survived the battle!
My second is Mustang Sally, yeah, I know some SBs can't stand her, but pair her with El Toro and she's pretty good. In fact, one time , she was getting chain after chain of criticals and one swashbuckler was so impressed, he asked how I trained her and that he would start using her ( with El Toro ) for more battles!
But alas, my Crab Hermit & Nurse Quinn have yet to impress me.
You're right about Buffalo Bill, in a tight corner, he really can perform well!
I have to agree with you on both accounts. Both are really good companions. However, I have to disagree with you on the crab hermit.

I can't help but get a smile on my face when Dave (my crab hermit) joins the battle. Dave is amazing. There are some companions that I love for no other reason than them being just plain awesome. Dave is just that, plain awesome, despite obvious hindrances. In the next story update, he better get a promotion. So he can become something like "Crab Grandmaster of Awesome." Rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

Nurse Quinn hasn't pulled anything crazy yet, but her heal has come in clutch a few times.

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
First off I will say lefty

He is obviously a great companion, he almost always criticals and burst fires a lot even if he misses I have quick adjust to keep the chain going he is a witchdoctors nausica

A second companion that has surprised is the monquistador veteran like anecrobie, I lost faith in this guy during cool ranch but when the update giving more epics came out now that he has more epics he is a melee maestro, chuck Ravens cry on him and he has unseen potential with riposte

Lieutenant
Jun 20, 2013
to tell you the truth, i can recall the fact that its: OLD SCRATCH! i know what your thinking: why him? well, because of his new powers, my privateer and other companions with spooky based powers can wreck opposing enemies. ( of course, i havent tried him in a anctual fight, but rather lv 2-5 flying fish)

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
witchdoctor daruis on Jan 13, 2016 wrote:
First off I will say lefty

He is obviously a great companion, he almost always criticals and burst fires a lot even if he misses I have quick adjust to keep the chain going he is a witchdoctors nausica

A second companion that has surprised is the monquistador veteran like anecrobie, I lost faith in this guy during cool ranch but when the update giving more epics came out now that he has more epics he is a melee maestro, chuck Ravens cry on him and he has unseen potential with riposte
Lefty is amazing. I completely agree! On my Witchdoctor, he is one of the best musketeers that we get. I love battling with him. He is actually a pretty decent pick for Ranked PvP as well.

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
pirate crusher on Jan 14, 2016 wrote:
to tell you the truth, i can recall the fact that its: OLD SCRATCH! i know what your thinking: why him? well, because of his new powers, my privateer and other companions with spooky based powers can wreck opposing enemies. ( of course, i havent tried him in a anctual fight, but rather lv 2-5 flying fish)
To be honest, Old Scratch never was that powerful in my opinion. He had his moments no doubt, but he just wasn't doing it for me, but when he got those powers, he turned into a monster. My witchdoctor pirate and Old Scratch destroy people now. My AoE spells do an upwards of 1000 damage and completely obliterates the opposing force. It is a sight to behold:)

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Grizzley117 on Jan 14, 2016 wrote:
Lefty is amazing. I completely agree! On my Witchdoctor, he is one of the best musketeers that we get. I love battling with him. He is actually a pretty decent pick for Ranked PvP as well.

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15
I do agree he is amazing, I do hope he at least gets another promotion or epic I just want it to happen for some reason, I agree he is a candidate for ranked PvP but then Bonnie outshines him because she is like lefty but with powers Altough lefty can get quick adjust musketeers like Bonnie Anne are usually accurate enough

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Grizzley117 on Jan 14, 2016 wrote:
To be honest, Old Scratch never was that powerful in my opinion. He had his moments no doubt, but he just wasn't doing it for me, but when he got those powers, he turned into a monster. My witchdoctor pirate and Old Scratch destroy people now. My AoE spells do an upwards of 1000 damage and completely obliterates the opposing force. It is a sight to behold:)

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15
I have to agree he is amazing I love punishing those who dare come near me with mojo reaver

Ensign
Sep 08, 2015
I don't try out companions that much, i'm more of the one dream team girl, but still, Carcarius did suprise me when i gave up on him. I use three witches on all of my battles, and i'm not thinking of changing anything. But can anyone tell me if my strategy is actually GOOD?

1 Turn

Me juju or will boost or range boost or simple attack
Scratch spell boost
Carcarius will boost
Mormo range boost

2 Turn

Scratch spell boost
Carcarius move or attack (depending on how close the enemies are)
Mormo move attack

3 Turn 3 Turn (if i can't wait for the boost)

Me juju or will boost... Same as the other turns Me best 3x3
Scratch spell boost Scratch attack
Carcarius attack Carcarius jobu's breath
Mormo attack Mormo mojo storm

4 Turn

Me best 3x3
Scratch attack
Carcarius jobu's breath
Mormo mojo storm

Annoying Amber lvl 43

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
AnonymousTruth1854 on Jan 15, 2016 wrote:
I don't try out companions that much, i'm more of the one dream team girl, but still, Carcarius did suprise me when i gave up on him. I use three witches on all of my battles, and i'm not thinking of changing anything. But can anyone tell me if my strategy is actually GOOD?

1 Turn

Scratch spell boost
Carcarius will boost
Mormo range boost

2 Turn

Scratch spell boost
Mormo move attack

4 Turn

Me best 3x3
Scratch attack
Carcarius jobu's breath
Mormo mojo storm

Annoying Amber lvl 43
Perhaps you should make a separate post to discuss your team strategy - as you stated in "What Witches Really Need" this "dream team" doesn't always work for you.

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008

1 Turn

Scratch spell boost
Carcarius will boost
Mormo range boost

2 Turn

Scratch spell boost
Mormo move attack

4 Turn

Me best 3x3
Scratch attack
Carcarius jobu's breath
Mormo mojo storm

Annoying Amber lvl 43
It is definitely not a bad team, but it could be better. Having a variety of classes on your team is really useful, because if you just have a team of witchdoctors then you will have a hard time in the later Books. Might I suggest keeping your favorite companion from this team, adding in a musketeer and a swashbuckler/buccaneer (depending on the types of enemies you will be fighting) and you will have an extremely effective and highly efficient team.

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
on my witch i love my helephant! also i love my ghost bison musketeer, and yes lefty is amazing! for the first 2 being will-boosted is a plus and with old scratch's new spooky boost it makes my ghost bison shaman epic heal as well.. :3
stormy jen silver

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013

1 Turn

Scratch spell boost
Carcarius will boost
Mormo range boost

2 Turn

Scratch spell boost
Mormo move attack

4 Turn

Me best 3x3
Scratch attack
Carcarius jobu's breath
Mormo mojo storm

Annoying Amber lvl 43
It's great for PvE I personally wouldn't use simple attacks I would use something like mournsong or mojostorm which is a lot stronger also by range boost do you mean Ravens cry?

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Howdy!

For me, I think the biggest surprises were Ridolfo Capoferro, Romba, and Louis LeBisque.

Seeing as Owen was the first ever pirate I actually finished and how I only did the Valencia side quests after finishing Marleybone (stupid of me, I know), I assumed Ridolfo Capoferro would be just some Iago knockoff, and seeing Iago wasn't even that good to begin with, I didn't care enough to get him (although he did look visually awesome). However, when I used him in battle as my Musketeer, I was like "Holy moly, Batman! This guy is super good!" Right now, I have him at Riposte 3, Relentless 2, Blade Storm, and Repel Boarders!

Romba. Oh boy, Romba. I thought all of the Heart of Darkness companions were straight up jokes. I'm sorry. I bought Romba from the crown shop early on in Owen's career but didn't bother to level him up, nor did I know what the best skills to spec into for him were (spec? Sorry, been playing a lot of Borderlands!). But when Malcolm rolled around and got him, I realized his full potential as a Tank! You're thinking "Pff! Romba? A tank? But he's so smol! How can he possibly be a tank?!" Trust me. He can take a lot of hits with the right set-up, just like any other Buccaneer. Don't underestimate my tiny water mole friend!

Louis. Sweet mother of Mercy, LOUIS. YOU SLY CRAB, YOU!
When I made my first ever player, a Musketeer named Trustworthy Malcolm Barclay, I despised Louis with every bone in my body. "YOU ARE SUCH A TERRIBLE COMPANION" I had yelled at him through the screen (which is sad because obviously he can't hear me). But now that I've committed to patience a bit more, I've grown to appreciate, respect, and love Louis. What a guy, he is. 8/10, great Companion would recommend buying from your local crowns store.

Thanks for such an interesting question :)

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Space Pirate (DON'T QUESTION IT)

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Jan 16, 2016 wrote:
Howdy!

For me, I think the biggest surprises were Ridolfo Capoferro, Romba, and Louis LeBisque.

Seeing as Owen was the first ever pirate I actually finished and how I only did the Valencia side quests after finishing Marleybone (stupid of me, I know), I assumed Ridolfo Capoferro would be just some Iago knockoff, and seeing Iago wasn't even that good to begin with, I didn't care enough to get him (although he did look visually awesome). However, when I used him in battle as my Musketeer, I was like "Holy moly, Batman! This guy is super good!" Right now, I have him at Riposte 3, Relentless 2, Blade Storm, and Repel Boarders!

Romba. Oh boy, Romba. I thought all of the Heart of Darkness companions were straight up jokes. I'm sorry. I bought Romba from the crown shop early on in Owen's career but didn't bother to level him up, nor did I know what the best skills to spec into for him were (spec? Sorry, been playing a lot of Borderlands!). But when Malcolm rolled around and got him, I realized his full potential as a Tank! You're thinking "Pff! Romba? A tank? But he's so smol! How can he possibly be a tank?!" Trust me. He can take a lot of hits with the right set-up, just like any other Buccaneer. Don't underestimate my tiny water mole friend!

Louis. Sweet mother of Mercy, LOUIS. YOU SLY CRAB, YOU!
When I made my first ever player, a Musketeer named Trustworthy Malcolm Barclay, I despised Louis with every bone in my body. "YOU ARE SUCH A TERRIBLE COMPANION" I had yelled at him through the screen (which is sad because obviously he can't hear me). But now that I've committed to patience a bit more, I've grown to appreciate, respect, and love Louis. What a guy, he is. 8/10, great Companion would recommend buying from your local crowns store.

Thanks for such an interesting question :)

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Space Pirate (DON'T QUESTION IT)
Those are some awesome responses! Sadly, I still have yet to fully max a musketeer pirate, which is next on the list, but wow, do I look forward to it! I can't wait to use all three of these companions! I don't know why, but I really like all of the Heart of Darkness companions. There is just something about them that make them unique and fun. On my swashbuckler, I got the crazy monquistador and I really enjoy using him.

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I was surprised this morning when the (Level 42) pirate I was helping in Khotan asked me why I have different companions appear all the time. Personally, I think that's the more fun way to play.

My privateer has all of the female companions on her team doing the fun stuff while the guys go do the shopping (pet wrangling, etc), so I quite often see Nurse Quinn and Madame Nadya join Zeena for a battle.

Surviving Medusa with this team was pleasantly satisfying. It takes special strategy and makes me pay closer attention.

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
Willowydream on Jan 17, 2016 wrote:
I was surprised this morning when the (Level 42) pirate I was helping in Khotan asked me why I have different companions appear all the time. Personally, I think that's the more fun way to play.

My privateer has all of the female companions on her team doing the fun stuff while the guys go do the shopping (pet wrangling, etc), so I quite often see Nurse Quinn and Madame Nadya join Zeena for a battle.

Surviving Medusa with this team was pleasantly satisfying. It takes special strategy and makes me pay closer attention.
Exactly. It adds a sense of excitement and uncertainty that is extremely fun. You don't know who is gonna show up for battle, and that makes it all the more satisfying when you beat a hard battle with a mechanically lackluster squad.

One of my favorite franchises, Fire Emblem, uses a combat system similar to Pirate and both games test your knowledge and skill strategically when it coms to battle.

~ Lv. 65
~ Lv. 54
~ Lv. 18
~ Lv. 15

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Willowydream on Jan 17, 2016 wrote:

Yeah I lay my powers out so that they work no matter which companion shows up, I try to use every companion unless they are either A) really bad so they do the shopping or B) I use specific companions only for battles which will include witchdoctors

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
Wild Bill Peacock (Hickok for any history buffs)
I took him in with Burst Fire 2, thinking, OH he won't use it
First battle with haunted ships
Mega Hit. R Mega hit R Mega hit r Mega hit

Ensign
Jun 02, 2013
For me, it was Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah.

Near the end of a really heated PVP battle, it was just Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah, and the opposing Pirate (I think), left alive. Anyway, Eep all the sudden pulled out a bunch of critical hits out of no where dealing about 500 or something damage per hit. It was really crazy, sense both his Mojo Echo and Mojo Rising kept on activating. It ended up defeating a Pirate who was at like 3,000 HP or so.

Ensign
Nov 19, 2015
when i first got the marchioness i thought she was terrible but when promoted her she did three critical attacks in a row so she really impressed me after that battle.

Clever Jack Kidd lvl 26

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Black Angus was a little iffy for me at first, but in the tower he proved to be very useful, and cool. He has the best critical theme!