Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Fast Combat Oddity: Is it an Illusion?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
So this is just a silly thread I am posting to see what people think or if its just me.

Most people love the new fast combat of play in the options menu...since the animation is cool but some of it takes too long. But then I switched back to normal speed and I was rather confused. It seemed some how slower than the ORIGINAL combat speed.

Now does is this just an illusion? Does it only "seem" that way because we are so used to the fast speed? Or is genuinely slower? I am inclined to think its genuinely slower. That when the makers were playing with the various speeds to determine how fast, fast combat should be, they realized that its wasn't actually a TON faster than the current speed...yet if they made it even faster it would be too fast and people wouldn't like it.

So in order to help push all the players in same direction and try to get the bulk of players to use fast combat...as well as to make the fast combat seem even faster...they made the normal or base combat slower than the original. But this is just my theory.

Thoughts anyone? KI? Can you confirm or deny my suspicions? It doesn't really matter and wont cause any changes to the game. Im just curious is all. Curious if I am right and if I am the only one that feels this way.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
It's probably just an illusion. You're used to faster combat and switching to normal combat can be frustrating because of how slow it is.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I thought it seemed a little slower than normal too. What I don't understand is that people play a game to be involved in it and enjoy it so what does it matter how long it takes? What is considered too long? Is people's need for instant results now because of the speed of technology causing the inability to be able to concentrate longer on tasks? Interesting...

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
DuranteRamses87 on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:
I thought it seemed a little slower than normal too. What I don't understand is that people play a game to be involved in it and enjoy it so what does it matter how long it takes? What is considered too long? Is people's need for instant results now because of the speed of technology causing the inability to be able to concentrate longer on tasks? Interesting...

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
I personally have it for 2 main reasons:

1) Like you said, t takes less time. Some people have limited time to play, so this way we can play more. I mainly have it specifically for Moo dungeons because it makes Quite the difference in the amount of time spent per dungeon.

2) I personally think the combat animations are much more smoother now, and I find watching the animations the most fun thing about combat, so I find it entertaining to see combat flow more like actual combat would :P

To answer the OP's question, That is most likely an illusion because we get so used to it, the slower version seems like slow-motion. The same can be applied if you are used to regular combat, as switching to fast combat can seem to make it go super fast.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Wonder why they didnt put a gauge instead of ON/OFF... you could choose the speed you prefer more accurately.

And I might actually get rid of my bug due to old comp.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
It makes the time spent in the Tower at least 20% shorter, and for a long dungeon with many battles and 10x as many rounds, that's a plus.
But one thing I've noticed - sometimes fast combat kicks into "over-drive" and we're performing our attacks like a bunch of gerbils on sugar-water. Sometimes this effect continues while we're collecting chests.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
anecorbie on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:
It makes the time spent in the Tower at least 20% shorter, and for a long dungeon with many battles and 10x as many rounds, that's a plus.
But one thing I've noticed - sometimes fast combat kicks into "over-drive" and we're performing our attacks like a bunch of gerbils on sugar-water. Sometimes this effect continues while we're collecting chests.
LOL "Gerbils on sugar water" Hysterical mental picture.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Haha this is interesting to see! So I am not the only one that thinks its actually slower. I could be wrong. Maybe I should do a test of slow combat for like a week and see if I can tell the difference then.

I would love it if KI gave some insights as to what they did. Would save on speculating. But...they have better more important things to do I am sure. ((Like making the moo item's stich-able! Hehe had to put that in there. I love the moo staff but its so darn ugly. And I am getting sick of the color red. All 10 weapons are red and their the strongest ones))

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
I dont use fast combat often, just in tower when people have it on.

It messes up my game so I play with normal speed whenever I solo.

And I can safely say it didnt get slower :P

Petty Officer
Jun 01, 2009
anecorbie on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:
Dude! If I had began drinking my coffee, I would of surely spat it out from laughter!

To answer the original questions, I often felt combat being used at normal speed was somehow extra slow now. Sure it's an illusion, though.

I personally prefer the faster animation speed, especially with my buccaneer. He average 4 - 8 attacks per round (Relentless x 3, follow through, blade storm x3, actual attack, and glancing blow), so watching the exact. Same. Critical. Animation. Repeatedly. Gets repetitive very quickly.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Reckless Cedric on Sep 28, 2015 wrote:
Dude! If I had began drinking my coffee, I would of surely spat it out from laughter!

To answer the original questions, I often felt combat being used at normal speed was somehow extra slow now. Sure it's an illusion, though.

I personally prefer the faster animation speed, especially with my buccaneer. He average 4 - 8 attacks per round (Relentless x 3, follow through, blade storm x3, actual attack, and glancing blow), so watching the exact. Same. Critical. Animation. Repeatedly. Gets repetitive very quickly.
Haha I am glad you thought it was funny. As I mentioned this was a silly post just for fun so I guess it did its purpose. I was hoping for someone like silver angel who never upgraded to fast speed to tell me what it felt like. Hmm so it is an illusion huh? Well if you say so. Its just some of the animations like Jobu's kiss or leviathans call...I never remember being that slow. But I guess the brains ability to compensate for new speeds and adjust is just cool that way.