Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Apex Pets?

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Admiral
May 30, 2010
What pet are you currently using? Are you even using one? What do you expect from your pet? Why are you using the pet you are using?

Can't really advise about the other until we know this. Are you asking if the Apex sharks are worth the scrip? That's a judgement call -- what I like in a pet may not be what Indigo likes in a pet, so what makes a pet "worthy" to him may make the pet useless to me.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
My pet now has jobus kiss and commonly uses its kraken lament making it a good distratction with high health.
I want my pet to have charming gaze it has to be good at soaking up epics and damage, I don't really care of it can't deal much damage.
If that's what I want is an Alex pet worth the scrip and if so which one should I buy

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
If you are wondering about the Pets granting Talents and/or Powers, check out Pirate101 Central Pet area.

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
How can you choose just 1? I think you should end up buying them all. Its only scrips, and they are super easy to get a hold of right? I don't know here in Bestia we just use gold like a good aquilian. I don't understand your strange pirate money.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Decius Duelmaster on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
How can you choose just 1? I think you should end up buying them all. Its only scrips, and they are super easy to get a hold of right? I don't know here in Bestia we just use gold like a good aquilian. I don't understand your strange pirate money.
They cost 500 scrip and it's hard to get ahold of

If I was to really consider it buying them all is 2500 scrip and I don't find that type of scrip easy so I'll look on the helpful pirates guide and I'll make my desicion

Thanks for your help everyone

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
Decius Duelmaster on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
Oh Decius :P your so funny.

Ensign
May 17, 2013
as Decius said, script is easy to get.
My issue are the talents/powers these apex sharks are granting.
So far as i can see swashbucklers,muskets and bucaneers each gained one talent what is very useful and can be used all the time,where we as witchies have gained nothing.Why our witchies shark grants us Sharks Fury???? We dont even carry slashy or smashy weapons where it can be used.The only one sort of in use could be the Witch Hunter but thats only if a spell is cast against you.Other than that,i found us witchies being in disadvantage with this and i am quite upset with this.We relay on our spells and i would like to see our shark granting us something better then Sharks Fury!!
Decious please be kind and look at this issue!
thanks
Not a happy witch.

Bosun
Apr 09, 2014
Silent Hunter Shar... on Aug 31, 2015 wrote:
So far as i can see swashbucklers,muskets and bucaneers each gained one talent what is very useful and can be used all the time,where we as witchies have gained nothing.Why our witchies shark grants us Sharks Fury???? We dont even carry slashy or smashy weapons where it can be used.The only one sort of in use could be the Witch Hunter but thats only if a spell is cast against you.Other than that,i found us witchies being in disadvantage with this and i am quite upset with this.We relay on our spells and i would like to see our shark granting us something better then Sharks Fury!!
thanks
Not a happy witch.
Hard to keep everyone happy every time, I am sure with some time you will find one you like!

Admiral
May 30, 2010
thanks
Not a happy witch.
You could carry a slashy/staffy or smashy/staffy weapon and gain the benefit of shark's fury. And even if you don't use it, your crew can. Since they're your protection so you can cast spells, there is a benefit to buffing them.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
thanks
Not a happy witch.
Another thing to keep in mind is that casting a non-primary attribute buff (in this case Strength) for your class, can be a great defensive strategy, or at minimum help against one of Witch Doctor's toughest adversaries-- the Buccaneer. I've seen & read, from PvP enthusiasts & developers alike, that the Buccaneer class (in the right hands) is currently one of the most powerful classes in Ranked PvP right now, & after the recent changes. A Witch Doctor facing a whole team of Buccaneers, within those right hands, could possibly be in for a tough go of things. Epic chains from a Buccaneer foe could end up being a lower in health/armor Witches worst nightmare. And what helps contribute to those Epic Chains- a Buck's Blade Storm- 3. What do those BS's trigger off of...Critical Hits (& finishing of an opponent)! And what can produce many of those Critical Hits & Blade Storms...yep, a Buccaneer foe that has a huge advantage in the Strength attribute. What can help lower the chances of a Strength-based enemy triggering multiple Critical Hits, extra Blade Storms from them and continuation of those Epic chains...raising your own Strength & creating less 'distance' between the ratio of your's-to-theirs' Strength.

It's not the most glamorous way to battle, but I'm sure that a Witch Doctor who casts a Strength buff, will certainly gain some benefit from it-- especially when facing a charging Buck crew, with a sure-to-be advantage in Strength. Often overlooked is the importance of negating the other team's 'already in place', attribute advantages. Could a WD benefit more from other pet traits, from an Apex shark or any other pet-- possibly and probably. But to say that a WD gains no benefit from buffing another classes primary attribute, such as Strength via Shark's Fury, is entirely not true. It may not be the 'most preferred' way to battle, but surely benefits can be gained (or enemy benefits can be negated) from casting other classes' primary attribute buffs.

Ensign
Jun 25, 2011
I think everyone is missing hunters point.

we shouldn't need to find a pet or talent we like. the Apex class pets were meant to benefit the class you were buying them for not your companions. why would the Witch apex not be comparable to the musket shark? they get burst fire, why not give witch mojo echo? all Apex best powers do no require a specific action to happen to occur. Witch hunter only works if a spell is cast at them. do other talents of the major 5 from each class requires a special prerequisite to happen? burst fire bonus attack when attacking. relentless bonus attack when attacking. first strike attack first when attacked. blade storm bonus attack when epic hit or kill enemy. I just think that the witch Apex isn't in line with the other 4 Apex is all that is being said.

personally a mojo mastery from a pet would be perfect for a witch but that might be to asking for to much.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
jason wreckless on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
I think everyone is missing hunters point.

we shouldn't need to find a pet or talent we like. the Apex class pets were meant to benefit the class you were buying them for not your companions. why would the Witch apex not be comparable to the musket shark? they get burst fire, why not give witch mojo echo? all Apex best powers do no require a specific action to happen to occur. Witch hunter only works if a spell is cast at them. do other talents of the major 5 from each class requires a special prerequisite to happen? burst fire bonus attack when attacking. relentless bonus attack when attacking. first strike attack first when attacked. blade storm bonus attack when epic hit or kill enemy. I just think that the witch Apex isn't in line with the other 4 Apex is all that is being said.

personally a mojo mastery from a pet would be perfect for a witch but that might be to asking for to much.
All of the Apex Sharks are pretty much the same. Aside from that one Ultra Rare, Granted Epic Talent, each class Shark gets pretty much the exact same 'selfish' powers/talents tool, just different Ranks or versions of them. Well, except most have a 'selfish' Talent that is specific to the class it represents-- ex. Buck Apex has Blade Storm, Musket Apex has Quick Adjust, Swash has Flanking. The Privateer Apex doesn't have a true class-specific 'selfish talent' & I'm not sure about the WD one.

They each Grant an Epic that is useful to the respective class-- sure Grants Witch Hunter might not be the preferred Granted Talent, but still useful & class-specific, nonetheless. All class of Apex sharks introduced a new class specific Granted Epic Talent into the mix, except for one...the Privy Shark. Grants Blade Storm has been out for quite some time & is readily available on many pets & via morphing. No need to spend Scrip for that shark/trait, at all, since you can easily get every trait offered on the Privy Apex from morphing. If one Apex was a little less useful, it appears to have been the Privy one, but it still has some benefits for a Privy.

But basically, they are all the 'same pet' with a talent Grant each & very minor differences in the other areas/traits. I think the purpose of them was to introduce some new Grants into the mix, that all classes could end up using or benefit from & be PvP friendly, for the most part. To tell the truth, if there is one pet that has a trait/Grant you are interested in, just buy it, raise it to 30 & even if that trait doesn't show up, simply morph with it a few times, until that desired trait transfers & shows up. Or more preferably just find someone that has one at adult (w/ or w/out the trait expressed) & morph with that offspring until it transfers & shows up.

The only thing I think would have been great is if the Apex sharks could reproduce themselves in color-- I really would have liked a white, purple or green Tiger Shark.

Ensign
May 06, 2009
Ensign
May 17, 2013
as Jason pointed out,he got my point.
Every other class apart of getting some basic powers/talents also got a talent what pet grants to the owner what can be used EVERY time when you are attacking or defending.It was only the witchdoctors shark who got,well nothing.
Sharks fury is totally useless in my opinion and i find it as an infection when it is manifested on my pets as my primarily used character is witchdoctor.
Only talent given: Witch Hunter is good only if you are attacked by another witchdoctor but how often is that going to happen? My main point is that other classes got talent what can be used against ANY class opponent where witchies once again got nothing and I am finding it unfair.
I am well aware of how to morph and gain talents/powers you need as i have been morphing for a long time,however,getting rid of manifested talents you dont want is practically impossible and by getting Sharks fury in the bloodline from the beginning is just a recepie for fails in my opinion.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Why the devil would I want a pet that grants Flanking?! I've bought the Bucky apex shark hoping for another relentless - its at Epic level now and it hasn't developed! What a waste of my scrip and time in training!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Silent Hunter Shar... on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
as Jason pointed out,he got my point.
Every other class apart of getting some basic powers/talents also got a talent what pet grants to the owner what can be used EVERY time when you are attacking or defending.It was only the witchdoctors shark who got,well nothing.
Sharks fury is totally useless in my opinion and i find it as an infection when it is manifested on my pets as my primarily used character is witchdoctor.
Only talent given: Witch Hunter is good only if you are attacked by another witchdoctor but how often is that going to happen? My main point is that other classes got talent what can be used against ANY class opponent where witchies once again got nothing and I am finding it unfair.
I am well aware of how to morph and gain talents/powers you need as i have been morphing for a long time,however,getting rid of manifested talents you dont want is practically impossible and by getting Sharks fury in the bloodline from the beginning is just a recepie for fails in my opinion.
Well, Grants First Strike, and First Strike in general, is only useful to a melee pirate, that is attacked by a melee wielding (or melee combo) weapon, attacker. It doesn't do any good against a ranged-only Witchdoctor or Musketeer. So, every class didn't get a grant that "can be used EVERY time". Grants First Strike is on the same level, as far as the argument that you are presenting for Grants Witch Hunter. Witch Hunter is the equivalent of the preemptive, melee Epic Talent First Strike-- it requires the 'right' weapon(s)/attack type to kick in and be useful . Privateers in general rely on buffs and their super-buffed companions in battle, so Blade Storm isn't all that beneficial to them-- for the most part & was already out there. Relentless for Bucks & Burst Fire for Muskets...yes, these are wonderful, new Grants. And yes most classes can benefit from them, if they so desire.

Also, as far as Shark's Fury, maybe it was just done for fun- since they are all Shark's. Sometimes the developers just like to do implement things that are 'neat or fun', and giving Shark's Fury to all those sharks, is a fun & neat idea, at least I think.

Here's the thing, you don't have to use an Apex Shark or Shark's Fury. As Decius noted, if buying an Apex Shark is what you are after, find the best Apex that best compliments your class, mix it with your own WD-friendly bloodline/pets and custom-make your own pet, with useful talents towards a WD. That's what most people do. There's plenty of useful WD pet-provided powers/talents/grants/epics/traits that are 100% available to WD and all other classes. All you have to do is take the time to custom create a WD pet.

I've put a ton of time into training up class-specific pets and yes it takes a lot of gold, a lot of morphs, a lot patience and a lot of fails to get pets that truly benefit and bolster your class of pirate. But the powers/talents/grants/traits are out there to benefit all classes, just have to put in the time to 'go get 'em'.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
Why the devil would I want a pet that grants Flanking?! I've bought the Bucky apex shark hoping for another relentless - its at Epic level now and it hasn't developed! What a waste of my scrip and time in training!
Hey, Esperanza. The Swashbuckler Apex doesn't have G- Flanking, it has Grants First Strike-- it has 'selfish' Flanking, meaning the pet gets it, for it's own use.

The best thing you can do to get G-Relentless from the Buck Apex Shark, & this is doing it 100% on your own, is buy the Buck Shark, train it to lvl 30, without worrying about what it manifests. Then morph with it a few times. If you are comfortable with how the slots work & transferring of traits work, it will be easy to tell if the Ultra Rare talent of G-Relentless transfers to the Apex's offspring-- especially if you use a low-mid level pedigree pet, or one that you know has Grants Blade Storm in it's pool, followed by a couple of Rare (or lower ranked) talents. G- Blade Storm occupies the top slot on the pet's talent side, & Grants Relentless will always follow it, in the 2nd slot, if it transfers to an offspring that now has both Grants. So, even if that Buck Apex doesn't manifest Grants Relentless, at level 30 you can hatch it w/ a pet (preferably one that will make it easy to tell if G-Relentless transfers) & pay attention to the slots and whether the transfer of G-Relentless was successful. Morph a few times & start raising those pets to at least level 10, to manifest that first talent spot. Chances are one of those offspring will manifest Grants Relentless by level 10 or at worst case by level 30. If they don't, stop training them & morph up a couple more.

I purchased both the Buck & Musket Apex, for G-Relentless & G-Burst Fire respectively, & trained them to adult (lvl 30). Neither expressed the desired Grant, so I hatched with each of them 3 times. For both Grants, each one manifested on 1 of the 3 offspring, by adult. Now I have both Grants mixed in my high-max pedigree pets, all by doing it on my own. You don't need the Grant manifested on the parent, in order to have the grant show up on an offspring. You just have to have it's slot/trait transfer.

Sure beats paying Scrip over & over.