Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Armor Protection Stack

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
I was just wondering why Armor protection limitation was revoked?

There was limitation on all buffs in PvP including Armor Protection, but now Armor Protection doesn't have any limitations.

I faced an opponent who shielded himself to the point where I was dealing less then 50 dmg per turn.

Anyone knows how to bypass this state beside the Purge Magic power?

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Developer
Please share your experience in any one of several threads where Black Fog and Moo's Robe are too powerful to defend against.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Ratbeard on Aug 9, 2015 wrote:
Please share your experience in any one of several threads where Black Fog and Moo's Robe are too powerful to defend against.

Ironically enough, being able to stack protection doesn't help against Black Fog or Moo's Robe. For Black Fog, the Swashbuckler will just attack the other units you didn't protect if you just spent two turns using Fortress/Levy on yourself. For Moo's Robe, their power comes from the reduce accuracy and hold the line. Not that I am complaining, I think the shield stacking is fine. However, to try and say that it was changed to try and combat Fog/Moo's Robe just shows how little the P101 developers seem to know about how PvP matches play out.

But hey, what do us PvP players know? Instead of meaningful solutions, we are stuck with attempting-to-be-witty and sarcastic responses from developers.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Alex Hawkins on Aug 10, 2015 wrote:
Ironically enough, being able to stack protection doesn't help against Black Fog or Moo's Robe. For Black Fog, the Swashbuckler will just attack the other units you didn't protect if you just spent two turns using Fortress/Levy on yourself. For Moo's Robe, their power comes from the reduce accuracy and hold the line. Not that I am complaining, I think the shield stacking is fine. However, to try and say that it was changed to try and combat Fog/Moo's Robe just shows how little the P101 developers seem to know about how PvP matches play out.

But hey, what do us PvP players know? Instead of meaningful solutions, we are stuck with attempting-to-be-witty and sarcastic responses from developers.

Actually I like how devs handle things around here. Ratbeard is very firm and I see that as a good thing.

How I see it, devs set the rules, create the mechanics and it is up to us to adjust to that playing environment. Imagine what would become of the game if they changed everything that we suggest.

I don't see Damage Protection stack as a counter to Black Fog at all, on contrary, Buckler was the one who shielded under hidden state. Damage protection powers can be obtain through gear, as a matter of fact I am trying to get one that has Valor's Armor on it.

My point is that PvP arena without buff stacks, any kind of them, was really balanced, more or less.

I admit that Bucklers hidden powers are little troublesome, but I found a way to dance to along the same tune :) Hidden powers are also available on different gear pieces, as also Leviathan's Call :D

Sincerely,
Duncan StormThief

Ensign
Mar 04, 2010

Sorry Ratbeard for continuing this thread but I just couldnt pass it.

Quote:But hey, what do us PvP players know? Instead of meaningful solutions, we are stuck with attempting-to-be-witty and sarcastic responses from developers.

IF you read the message boards enough you would know that Ratbeard plays PVP. He knows EXACTLY how PVP plays out. Maybe he whipped you into the dirt a couple times and you never knew.

I want to be upfront. I hate PVP. I do participate in PVP both 1v1 and Royale. Out of all the matches I have had I have won 2 times, and I think that was because the other players must have been AFK. I play because it makes me better on quests. It makes my think before I rush into the enemy. I have seen the 'FOG' and got thrashed soundly. I do NOT want it nerfed, removed, changed, or altered. I DO want to figure out how to beat someone that uses it in battle. I have been up against the crazy amount of shielding in playoffs - leave things the way they are I say! I need to learn how to time my attacks, plan my defense, get set up so when that buff timer runs out, and I watch theirs closely, I can do the damage I want.

I dont know what they plan for expansion in the future but I expect it is gonna rock some people through the soles of their boots. I want to be ready for ANYTHING. What if the next expansion includes bosses that use FOG? As for shields, the Tera Cotta warriors in Moo Tower have huge armor and magic resist. I do 30% less damage most of the time. I dont cry 'boo hoo please nerf them they are too hard' I figure out a way to beat them instead.

I do know that since going into PVP matches my strategy has improved, I have a far better understanding of my powers and talents, And Manchu Tower is much much easier. The developers gave you a great opportunity to develop your abilities and skills - instead of trying to make it easier, learn, grow and for gosh sakes stop whining - Pirates dont whine!! You ever see Jack Sparrow whine? Umm no.

Developer

I certainly hope by this point the swashbuckler's "other target" has FS3/QD3, and you are making use of the many ways to direct the swashbuckler to those hard targets. Such as the great advice I read in another thread to use Raise Barricade.

As for why it was changed back, that was in direct response to the feedback that the changes to ranked had tipped too far in favor of offense, especially at the expense of Privateers.

And please keep in mind that PvP is not intended to be balanced solely around the entrenched strategies and end-game gear of a small minority of vocal PvP players. Your feedback is useful (usually, the most useful), but do try to keep it in perspective.

I'll certainly make more of an effort to be less witty when I am posting on the message boards on my weekends.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Ratbeard on Aug 10, 2015 wrote:
I certainly hope by this point the swashbuckler's "other target" has FS3/QD3, and you are making use of the many ways to direct the swashbuckler to those hard targets. Such as the great advice I read in another thread to use Raise Barricade.

As for why it was changed back, that was in direct response to the feedback that the changes to ranked had tipped too far in favor of offense, especially at the expense of Privateers.

And please keep in mind that PvP is not intended to be balanced solely around the entrenched strategies and end-game gear of a small minority of vocal PvP players. Your feedback is useful (usually, the most useful), but do try to keep it in perspective.

I'll certainly make more of an effort to be less witty when I am posting on the message boards on my weekends.
My apologies, I let my frustration get the better of me in that prior message.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Okay, so I'm not the most qualified to be speaking about PvP. I haven't experienced most of what PvP enthusiasts have posted. But what I have noticed with all of these changes to PvP concepts is a development team that is encouraging players to think outside the box, diversify, improvise, adapt & rewrite their own set of rules. Many of these changes are new & will take time to get adjusted to by the players, & likewise the development team will require a greater amount of time to see how this all plays out & impacts the PvP'ing community.

It seems that attempts at meaningful solutions are being suggested, crafted & implemented. But what I have read appears to be players wishing that those meaningful solutions come in a more elementary form. You know, like A > B & B > C, so therefore A must be > C kind of stuff. When instead what is being offered up follows a more algebraic & 'widespread' approach. It appears that a lot of high level PvP'ers were use to knowing what to do & how exactly to do it. Even when something small, yet new, was introduced it wasn't that big of a deal because Ranked PvP wasn't here & there was time to toy around with it & come up with those, 'greater than' solutions. Now that Ranked is here, these changes seem to have some of those PvP enthusiasts panicking a little because they want to slingshot straight to the top of the ranks & quite possibly these 'non-meaningful solutions' are forcing them to do things they weren't used to doing...thus disrupting their comfort levels. They no longer are relying on that A > C mentality & what they had grown accustomed to, getting the job done.

As others have noted, Ranked has only been here a week or so & the developers are trying to find an equation of solutions that really force players to mix it up & not rely on 'same ol', same ol' solutions & gear. After time, I'm sure that, by working together, meaningful and more intelligent solutions will surely come out of it...if they haven't already.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Please don't say such things Ratbeard. Your amazing wit is one of the best things about your posts. With that and your amazing wealth of knowledge and information, I love you just the way you are, hilarious wit included.

Ensign
Mar 04, 2010

Umm - Ratbeard - in a single mono syllable - NO. Your wit is part of why so many listen to what you say. It is not only what you may say to us, it is also important HOW is is said. Keep the wit, it's what makes you OUR Ratbeard.

Ensign
Mar 22, 2010
Please bring back the buff stacks if you're not gonna revoke the armor protection stack. It's like this caster has 50% damage protection X 3 + 25% damage protection X 1 + 50% blocking damage protection X 2. which the caster also has moo manchu robe and nefarious staff just hiding behind the barricade with companions raining bombs and traps. Now my question is why remove the buff stacks in pvp?