Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Ranked pvp designed for pvp enthusiasts?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
TechnomagePvP on Jul 6, 2015 wrote:
Let me ask you this, why do you think Doubloons are looked down upon? While you answer that let me give you some examples of why every top pvper known in the pvp community agrees about this. Treasure cards are complained about on Wiz ALL the time, right? Well doubloons are even more insane but actually there is a reason to complain about unlike TC which are balanced. Doubloons you can use and STILL make a different move.

This is an example Deathflame used as well so sorry for stealing it: Say on wizard101 tc worked like doubloons, I could use a TC Stun and Medusa in the same round as a myth wizard so that means I stun them for 2 rounds then break the 1 stun block, right? Now lets say I had max pips as well, that means I could once again stun tc and Medusa, right? That means 3 more turns they're stunned plus no stun shield for next time I wanna do this so I could again go myth blade with tc stun, pet myth blade with tc stun, infallible with tc stun, then medusa and they once again don't get a turn to move and 3 medusa's at any lvl is a GG if not the already 2 they took.

Now lets put this scenerio in Pirate101, I'm a swashbuckler and I use Black Fog an already problematic power in the community regardless of what class you are. Say I run up to you and you stacked protection buffs, I'll simply Purge you then next turn you have maybe 1 protection buff if none at all when it comes back to my turn, now I'm already x2 damage from fog but now I use a lvl 65 Weapon power doubloon, that's an additional x2 damage so now an assassin with x4 damage hitting a single Fort will easily still do 3k damage plus bleeding! So lets also add this buckler poisoned you as well, and they have flames, doesn't matter what class you are, you're dead.

Also a no rules tournament was hosted with doubloons allowed, it was crazy and it was won by a Buckler doing what I said above with tons of summons, it was horrible. See why doubloons MUST at least be able to be turned off for rank pvp now?

~Tech
Well, part of me wants to agree with you, but part of me thinks back to the match I mentioned earlier where the other side was using doubloons and we weren't. I was just about to 'make my move' with my Swashbuckler, which would have effectively meant 'gg' for the other side, when one of them used a 'push back' doubloon and scattered my team all over the battleboard. All of a sudden I went from being in a position to end it, to being out of striking range with all my buffs and shields about to expire. This made it necessary for me to do something you rarely see in pvp these days...make a new strategy on the run. Wow. Imagine that. Having to adapt and improvise instead of just using the same tired old strategies over and over and over. I will admit that when it happened I was like..."seriously?" But by the time the match was over I found that by using doubloons, the other team had actually made it more enjoyable for me because it added an element of the unknown. Yes I have talked to many of my friends (many of whom take their pvp very seriously) about the use of doubloons and, alas, most are dead set against it and I find this to be a shame. It's such a dynamic part of the game and adds so much more excitement, yet I guess there are those who just like being able to sleepwalk through their matches. I don't see how doubloons are unfair when everyone can use them. There are a few replies I would like to make here, but don't have room for. Um...lets see. Black Fog. What's the big deal? You can usually only use it effectively in the early stages of the match when everyone is clustered together. By the time they are able to cross the battleboard you've had time to shield and hit them with plenty of AoE attacks, so it all works out. Every class has its perks. I for one don't particularly enjoy being peppered with Chantal's sniper shots or a Privateer's gunnery attacks during their opening move while I'm still two or three rounds away from even being able to touch them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Spiral Cowboy on Jul 7, 2015 wrote:
Well, part of me wants to agree with you, but part of me thinks back to the match I mentioned earlier where the other side was using doubloons and we weren't. I was just about to 'make my move' with my Swashbuckler, which would have effectively meant 'gg' for the other side, when one of them used a 'push back' doubloon and scattered my team all over the battleboard. All of a sudden I went from being in a position to end it, to being out of striking range with all my buffs and shields about to expire. This made it necessary for me to do something you rarely see in pvp these days...make a new strategy on the run. Wow. Imagine that. Having to adapt and improvise instead of just using the same tired old strategies over and over and over. I will admit that when it happened I was like..."seriously?" But by the time the match was over I found that by using doubloons, the other team had actually made it more enjoyable for me because it added an element of the unknown. Yes I have talked to many of my friends (many of whom take their pvp very seriously) about the use of doubloons and, alas, most are dead set against it and I find this to be a shame. It's such a dynamic part of the game and adds so much more excitement, yet I guess there are those who just like being able to sleepwalk through their matches. I don't see how doubloons are unfair when everyone can use them. There are a few replies I would like to make here, but don't have room for. Um...lets see. Black Fog. What's the big deal? You can usually only use it effectively in the early stages of the match when everyone is clustered together. By the time they are able to cross the battleboard you've had time to shield and hit them with plenty of AoE attacks, so it all works out. Every class has its perks. I for one don't particularly enjoy being peppered with Chantal's sniper shots or a Privateer's gunnery attacks during their opening move while I'm still two or three rounds away from even being able to touch them.
Yes, doubloons add an unpredictable quality to a match, yet, there's also a valid point about using them - an over crowded battleboard with every summoned creature getting its own attack is very unpleasant; perhaps there should be a cap on summoned minions? Perhaps even a cap on the number of doubloons each side can use?
It will be interesting to see what KI has come up with. I think the PVP community should wait and see before rushing to judgment, even wait a few days before criticizing during test realm, give it an honest chance before you ask for changes.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
the reason i'm against doubloons is because they require no skill to use, let me use a real example, i was about to flawless another privateer, every companion in the green( without using my moo robe or staff) it was the final round or so i thought, he used a stun doubloon and a hide then spammed doubloons and summons 11 aquilan summons and stunned me every other round, i lost that one, thats hardly fair or enjoyable

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
You see how one push of a random doubloon can just destroy a match even if you did every thing right this is why there banned in most places.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
the midnightpirate on Jul 8, 2015 wrote:
You see how one push of a random doubloon can just destroy a match even if you did every thing right this is why there banned in most places.
The point is, that despite that doubloon, he was able to pull a victory through creative thinking and innovation.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2012
We will all have to adapt to how ranked pvp turns out and the one's who don't, lack we will adapt rather we like it or not.

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Koi the Fish on Jul 9, 2015 wrote:
We will all have to adapt to how ranked pvp turns out and the one's who don't, lack we will adapt rather we like it or not.
Trust me if doubloons are allowed over 80% of the game will boy cott that bad boy. Its like Fog, it's obvious it needs a change and something to be done for it. That isn't an idea it's a fact.

Petty Officer
Jan 03, 2010
anecorbie on Jul 9, 2015 wrote:
The point is, that despite that doubloon, he was able to pull a victory through creative thinking and innovation.
I personally don't think much creativity and innovation is involved in pressing doubloons (that appear in random orders mind you). A lot of people would agree that the use of doubloons in pvp isn't even cheap, it's just a monsoon of ridiculously overpowered perks at one's disposal. I would think that most people would be highly against doubloons in pvp, as they are very frequently not used as per mutual agreement. "Creative and innovative PvP" is far different in this game than any I've seen firsthand, doubloons easily just place a WALL on this potential and turn competition into "who has more aquila summons".

I honestly hope no one else has to repeat this, as it IS the pirate101 community's general stance on doubloons in PvP, hands down.

Petty Officer
Jan 03, 2010
TechnomagePvP on Jul 9, 2015 wrote:
Trust me if doubloons are allowed over 80% of the game will boy cott that bad boy. Its like Fog, it's obvious it needs a change and something to be done for it. That isn't an idea it's a fact.
I agree with you, but I also strongly disagree aswell here. I think Koi's point was spot on, and its the inevitable fact that PvP comes down to. There will always be OP powers and companions and strategies, but preparing for a new meta is what it comes down to at the end of the day, I think. Yes, doubloons are extremely frowned upon, no one can honestly argue that, but pointing at one power (there are many, but just an example) and complaining about how OP it is doesn't change the meta, it just shows how one power provides a significant boost to the said class/person. I liked when @Ratbeard said he'd heard every single class and it's how its overpowered at one point or another. I have certainly felt certain classes being more reliable at different points in time, but that just goes to prove Koi's point, the meta is going to change with every update and it is inevitable. Different classes will shine brighter at different points because of the tools they might have, but it is all a part of the metagame. With all due respect, rather than complaining about what is "broken", perhaps creating viable counters would be more worth your time.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Wolf SkullRider on Jul 10, 2015 wrote:
I personally don't think much creativity and innovation is involved in pressing doubloons (that appear in random orders mind you). A lot of people would agree that the use of doubloons in pvp isn't even cheap, it's just a monsoon of ridiculously overpowered perks at one's disposal. I would think that most people would be highly against doubloons in pvp, as they are very frequently not used as per mutual agreement. "Creative and innovative PvP" is far different in this game than any I've seen firsthand, doubloons easily just place a WALL on this potential and turn competition into "who has more aquila summons".

I honestly hope no one else has to repeat this, as it IS the pirate101 community's general stance on doubloons in PvP, hands down.
Yes they are not very fun at all sadly, and the farthest from creative and innovative that you can get.

We can also currently completely remove the "randomness" factor of getting doubloons. Right now on my Swashbuckler for example, the only doubloons that I have are 20 copies of the level 65 Aquila Summon. I just simply traded all my other doubloons away. If I were to do a PvP match right now, every single turn I would get that specific AQ doubloon and when I use it it would come back next turn. After 20 turns, I would have summoned 20 units each of which is pretty darn strong on its own.

I don't see how anyone who takes Pirate101 PvP seriously can even begin to support the use of doubloons in PvP. I can come up with a hundred different scenarios where the smart use of doubloons would be completely unfair to the person on the receiving end of the strategy. Unless KI changes something about them, I hope they don't make the mistake of allowing them in ranked PvP.