Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Tradable Crowns Companions(From Packs Specifically

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 21, 2013
Hello Fellow Pirates,
I hope you have all been enjoying the skyway lately. Hopefully a new update is soon to come.

I have something I was thinking about that I want all of your opinions on.

Persay...
A pirate is simply roaming the spiral and decides to open a grizzly beast booster pack. This pirate happens to be a musketeer. He opens the pack and gets a companion!! Good news, depending on the companion (due to certain classes only wanting certain classes of companions. The musketeer gets Laarn . This companion is a melee based companion,,, so why would a musketeer want him?!

The fact is, unfortunately, types of companions (melee, shooting, staffy), don't work with certain classes. Wouldn't it be fair if players were allowed to trade crown bough companions from packs? I mean, after all, we spent money on them!

Please respond to this thread with your opinion. I am hoping that this post catches some eyes of message board leaders such as annecorbie. It would be cool to hear feedback from KI too (even though that probably wont happen ).

Thanks so much guys!!!

Au Revoir Pirates,

JackThePirate

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
JackThePirate527 on Jun 12, 2015 wrote:
Hello Fellow Pirates,
I hope you have all been enjoying the skyway lately. Hopefully a new update is soon to come.

Persay...
A pirate is simply roaming the spiral and decides to open a grizzly beast booster pack. This pirate happens to be a musketeer. He opens the pack and gets a companion!! Good news, depending on the companion (due to certain classes only wanting certain classes of companions. The musketeer gets Laarn . This companion is a melee based companion,,, so why would a musketeer want him?!

The fact is, unfortunately, types of companions (melee, shooting, staffy), don't work with certain classes. Wouldn't it be fair if players were allowed to trade crown bough companions from packs? I mean, after all, we spent money on them!

Please respond to this thread with your opinion. I am hoping that this post catches some eyes of message board leaders such as annecorbie. It would be cool to hear feedback from KI too (even though that probably wont happen ).

Thanks so much guys!!!

Au Revoir Pirates,

JackThePirate
Well, certainly this did catch my eye, Jack the Pirate. BTW welcome.
I believe a musketeer should have a few melee companions ( especially for those fights which are in close quarters ) and I've seen Laarn in action, a very strong and useful companion.
I remember when I received Itzen Kaan from the Tribal Pack, although I was happy I got an Aztecosaur, I was disappointed that he was a privateer and not Kawil Doomclaw, who is a swashbuckler. However, I now wouldn't trade him for anything!
There is probably a technical reason why we can't trade companions; ( besides cramming them into a shared bank * ouch *! )
I would just appreciate any companion you happen to get, train them to the best of your knowledge, give them a chance in battle and maybe you'll find a gem!
Good Luck in your search for pack companions!

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Hello Fellow Pirates,

Persay...

Thanks so much guys!!!

Au Revoir Pirates,

JackThePirate
I want to point out that I can totally see a musketeer wanting Laarn. He is a great counter for Buccaneers (which attack using a musketeers worst stat, strength). Second of all, I can see maybe you wanting a certain one more on one character then another, so I would support this, if instead of being tradeable, just have the companion put in the gifts area, so you can redeem it on any pirate.

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
I believe that you're right. We should be able to trade the exclusive companions. Not just the packs ones, though. Companions, such as Ninja Pig, Cat Pirate, (Not Catbeard.) Cutthroat Pirate, Centaur Queen, etc. Companions that you have little to no chance of gaining on another pirate should be trade-able, but no sell, no auction, no trash, etc.

I agree with you, by the way.... We should be able to move certain companions to the shared bank.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Also, I'm very flattered that you consider me a community leader, thank you; but I'm not. "Community Leaders" like Kelsey Fireheart or Dr. Zeppers will have that label appear under their names.

Ensign
Jan 21, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 12, 2015 wrote:
Well, certainly this did catch my eye, Jack the Pirate. BTW welcome.
I believe a musketeer should have a few melee companions ( especially for those fights which are in close quarters ) and I've seen Laarn in action, a very strong and useful companion.
I remember when I received Itzen Kaan from the Tribal Pack, although I was happy I got an Aztecosaur, I was disappointed that he was a privateer and not Kawil Doomclaw, who is a swashbuckler. However, I now wouldn't trade him for anything!
There is probably a technical reason why we can't trade companions; ( besides cramming them into a shared bank * ouch *! )
I would just appreciate any companion you happen to get, train them to the best of your knowledge, give them a chance in battle and maybe you'll find a gem!
Good Luck in your search for pack companions!
Thank you so much for your opinion!!! I will definitely keep on training Laarn! My biggest question to you is if you know a good strategy I can implement laarn in for PVP. Thanks so much!!!

Au Revoir,

JackThePirate

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Hello Fellow Pirates,

Persay...

Thanks so much guys!!!

Au Revoir Pirates,

JackThePirate
OK, I've played all the classes of pirates through the game and I'm not seeing the whole "types of companions don't work with certain classes" thing at all. There are some companions I don't like as well because of their animations, not because of their class; I've used melee and staffy and shooty companions with all of my pirates. My preference is not to have the same types of companion as my pirate because depending on the enemy that particular pirate class might not be the best for coping. If I have some that can shoot the guys with hold the line and vengeance strike, or someone who can run up and whap the guys who have true grit or return fire, I'm going to use them to minimize the damage to my pirate.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
i wish i could give someone the laarn i won from a central pvp tournament thats just sitting in my gift box since i already have him

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
JackThePirate527 on Jun 14, 2015 wrote:
Thank you so much for your opinion!!! I will definitely keep on training Laarn! My biggest question to you is if you know a good strategy I can implement laarn in for PVP. Thanks so much!!!

Au Revoir,

JackThePirate
I'm sorry, you're asking the wrong person about strategies in PVP; since I'm only a casual player, also I don't know Laarn's available talents or epics. Maybe Zuto4011 can field this question?

Admiral
May 30, 2010
zuto4011a on Jun 14, 2015 wrote:
i wish i could give someone the laarn i won from a central pvp tournament thats just sitting in my gift box since i already have him
Maybe start another pirate? Or is he only available for the pirate who won him?

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
JackThePirate527 on Jun 14, 2015 wrote:

Au Revoir,

JackThePirate
i shall indeed enlighten him on the worst bear possible to get, unless your a witch or privateer completely forget about using laarn, his damage is low and usually misses, if your a privateer bring marchioness and place will buffs on your first power page, will buff spam and he and march will go crazy on non will companions, as witch dr i have no clue since i'm a privateer, although carcarius might be a good combo with him

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
Maybe start another pirate? Or is he only available for the pirate who won him?
i only play privateer, its my personal belief its better to be the best at one thing then decent at all

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
i shall indeed enlighten him on the worst bear possible to get, unless your a witch or privateer completely forget about using laarn, his damage is low and usually misses, if your a privateer bring marchioness and place will buffs on your first power page, will buff spam and he and march will go crazy on non will companions, as witch dr i have no clue since i'm a privateer, although carcarius might be a good combo with him
I am a Witch, I have Laarn, I run:
Feeding Frenzy 2, Relentless 2, Blaststorm 2, Second Chance 1
Tough 4, Spirited 4, Rough 4, Accurate 4
I have never had a problem with him not hitting (for obvious reasons)
This seems to work really well, especially in the tower, where there are about a million buccaneer enemies.
Also, he works very well with Carcarius.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 15, 2015 wrote:
Well, that was encouraging . Since Laarn is a I guess you should concentrate on his will and strength, since Robert says he misses a lot, then toss some points in accuracy. It wouldn't hurt to give him some armor or tough as well.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
My Laarn does fine with my witchdoctor, but I don't do PVP as I don't find it very fun at all. He hits as well as any companion I'm running, but my tendency is to train accuracy as much as possible. I do have him on another class pirate, but I've not run her much lately, so I don't honestly recall how he did with her (or even if he's with my buccaneer or my musketeer since they both have bears).

As to trading companions, I can see why they wouldn't do that. What if you had, say, the cat pirate on a max character and then decided to start a new pirate from scratch. You stuff the cat into the shared bank, the baby pirate grabs it and --- is it a max cat corsair? Or does it lose all its advances and reset to scratch? So what happens if the max pirate decides, once the level cap is raised, to take him back and progress in the game? In essence, we'd either need to have a mechanism in place to recover his levels or he'd be getting a free reset. You can't really charge crowns to pass a cool companion back and forth; that'd be unfair to the folks who don't have spare cash for crowns.

Three different pirates using him would mean that Ted (which is the name of my cat corsair) would end up need three different templates. That's a lot of coding, and frankly, I'd prefer that KI spent that coding time and money on getting us the new world, or at least lifting the level cap in this one so my stalled pirates can continue the game. Sure, I'd love to be able to had both the cat pirate and the ninja pigs back and forth but I knew when I activated them that they'd be with that one character for ever.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
anecorbie on Jun 16, 2015 wrote:
Well, that was encouraging . Since Laarn is a I guess you should concentrate on his will and strength, since Robert says he misses a lot, then toss some points in accuracy. It wouldn't hurt to give him some armor or tough as well.
Wait, why train him in strength?