Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

what second class should each pirate train in ?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 11, 2013
Is there a post about what second or third class skills would be good for each type

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
19ZOMBIE2004 on May 29, 2015 wrote:
Is there a post about what second or third class skills would be good for each type
You are going to receive a lot of opinions concerning this question. I would advise all pirate classes ( except privateer ) to invest the points in gaining Rouse and Refresh.
For anything else, it all depends on how you want your pirate to fight.

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
19ZOMBIE2004 on May 29, 2015 wrote:
There is no wrong choice!

However, I will tell you my style,

I am a buccaneer and I train in swashbuckler as my second class. Since I have all talents possible to gain from swashbuckling, I also have talents from other schools. I trained up to the heal in privateer class, the rat apparitions summon in witchdoctor class, and the Tough rank 2 talent in Musketeer. I do a lot of Zeke quests, by the way, and I am maximum leveled. That would account for about 20 practice points, but don't quote me on that.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
This is not an opinion of mine but a fact, a privateer must always train spooky 2 from witch dr, your va, your heals, and your bombs are stronger, now the rest is opinion, i trained a little into buckler in case i myself had to fight, i trained fast, WIS, and sneak attack as a plan E

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
zuto4011a on May 29, 2015 wrote:
This is not an opinion of mine but a fact, a privateer must always train spooky 2 from witch dr, your va, your heals, and your bombs are stronger, now the rest is opinion, i trained a little into buckler in case i myself had to fight, i trained fast, WIS, and sneak attack as a plan E
STOP THE PRESSES!!

As soon as you use the word "should" you are no longer stating a fact, but an opinion.

Now, the opinion may be a very good one, but it is still an opinion.

I personally always train non-privateers in privateer skills.

Privateers I train in witchdoctor skills.

If I have points left over, I train swashbucklers, buccaneers, and musketeers in witchdoctor skills, to get more ranged powers and witchdoctors in buccaneer skills for the armor.

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
I trained my swashbuckler in buccaneer skills (I believe that was the one), mostly because they were direct adds to skills/stats and I didn't want more cards cluttering up my selections. I want my Black Fog, Blood's Fire/Terror Cotta warriors as much as possible, the more cards there are, the less chance they will be up in the first 2 rounds.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I don't know how zuto4011 did it but their post changed the word "should" to "must". It is still wrong however, since privateers are not required to get spooky 2, which is what the word "must" means. So it is still an opinion, not a fact.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on May 31, 2015 wrote:
I don't know how zuto4011 did it but their post changed the word "should" to "must". It is still wrong however, since privateers are not required to get spooky 2, which is what the word "must" means. So it is still an opinion, not a fact.
Max, Robert has a point; although he might have worded it a little better. Spooky 2 will boost a Privateer's will power, which is what makes privateer's powers more effective.
p.s. He edited his post, we have at least 24 hours to edit our posts.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
if they wish to maximize their usefulness they must, its a fact privateers with spooky 2 are better healers, shielders, and bombers

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 1, 2015 wrote:
if they wish to maximize their usefulness they must, its a fact privateers with spooky 2 are better healers, shielders, and bombers
That's still an opinion, not a fact.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Max DeGroot on Jun 3, 2015 wrote:
Well, if the actual numbers on screen, when healing/bombing/shielding, from a Privateer trained in Spooky 2 show to be greater than the exact same Privateer not trained in Spooky 2 (with all other conditions being equal), then that would actually be a fact.

Numbers speak the truth, I believe is what Zuto is stating, Max. The 'maximizing usefulness' may be open and subject to interpretation and opinion, but higher numbers from Spooky 2 in regards to healing/shielding/bombing, would truthfully seem to maximize a Privateers usefulness in battle, with the showing of higher numbers to support it.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
how is it not a fact, the stats are undeniable, there is plenty of proof

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
Welcome to the internet, where opinions are facts and sources don't matter.

However, I must say that how in the spiral do you believe that is not a fact? A fact is something that is true and it is true that Spooky 2 boosts a Privateer's power. There we go. Simple as that, my fellow pirate.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
zuto4011a on Jun 3, 2015 wrote:
how is it not a fact, the stats are undeniable, there is plenty of proof
Zuto, I haven't been on these message boards for very long but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say that Max is taking your word very literally. It bothers him that you used the words 'must' and 'fact', when in the game it is not literally necessary for a Privateer to train in Spooky 2 to boost their usefulness or to advance the story. This is what Max is saying. Hope that I understood it right, that this might have cleared things up, and that you have a fantastic week.

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Pirate Scoundrel

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ok, I think its now an established fact, based on numbers, that Spooky 2 helps Privateers and is a benefit that a Privy should consider.
Other advice on training other classes; I believe that its a good thing for Witchdoctors to cross train musketeer's weapons. My reasons are: If a WD uses a combo weapon then a staffy/shooty will not interfere with Mojo Echo or Mojo Rising & musketeers also have a will boost available.
On my main character ( a swashbuckler ) I have trained far enough in privateer to get the heals, some buccaneer ( for the charge & damage reduction ), but mainly I'm going to finish WD training, for will and resistances.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
anecorbie on Jun 5, 2015 wrote:
Ok, I think its now an established fact, based on numbers, that Spooky 2 helps Privateers and is a benefit that a Privy should consider.
Other advice on training other classes; I believe that its a good thing for Witchdoctors to cross train musketeer's weapons. My reasons are: If a WD uses a combo weapon then a staffy/shooty will not interfere with Mojo Echo or Mojo Rising & musketeers also have a will boost available.
On my main character ( a swashbuckler ) I have trained far enough in privateer to get the heals, some buccaneer ( for the charge & damage reduction ), but mainly I'm going to finish WD training, for will and resistances.
It is particularly useful if the WD also has a pet (or companion) that offers eagle eyes, since that increases their spell range as well.

But you know, it really still is going to depend on play style (as you said before) and game goals. If my goal in the game is not to smear the board with the opponent, but to have a good time using strategy instead of brawn, then perhaps I don't really want to maximize the damage I do or the heals I have. Maybe I want to cross train in swashy so I can run about the board and hit 'em from a distance. Maybe my bucky, who is definitely a run up and smack the snot out of someone kind of girl needs better heals than my WD, who is distinctly a stand back and let the meat shields do their job kind of guy, so he trains in musketeer while she trains in privateer, while the privateer grabs some swashbuckler skills so she can move faster to where the heals are needed and the musketeer does a little of everything because he's nuts that way.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
You can edit your post the first time you come back to the message boards after it appears. Occasionally you'll see a post where it says 'edits are in moderation' or words to that effect.