Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

More Human

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 23, 2013
I just realized something whilst I was doing the Imperial Garrison dungeon. Other than the player, Boochbeard, and Avery, there have been little to none actual human companions or NPCs - more like animals that have human features, or humanoids. There have been chickens, cows, ducks, dogs, cats, rats, you name it - it's there. But one thing I see that KingsIsle is refraining from doing is making human NPCs, which as a pre-teen it gets a bit annoying seeing animals everywhere.

Which is why if they ever add more levels to P101, I would also like a world where there is some animal NPCs, like they normally have, but much more human NPCs.

I would like you all to consider this fact. I know that they may use the animals to appeal to younger audiences but who else would like someone who is the same race as the player?

~CyanGirl

Loyal Emmaline Ramsey, lvl 50
Fair Hazel Aldridge, lvl 5

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CyanGirl on Jan 19, 2015 wrote:
I just realized something whilst I was doing the Imperial Garrison dungeon. Other than the player, Boochbeard, and Avery, there have been little to none actual human companions or NPCs - more like animals that have human features, or humanoids. There have been chickens, cows, ducks, dogs, cats, rats, you name it - it's there. But one thing I see that KingsIsle is refraining from doing is making human NPCs, which as a pre-teen it gets a bit annoying seeing animals everywhere.

Which is why if they ever add more levels to P101, I would also like a world where there is some animal NPCs, like they normally have, but much more human NPCs.

I would like you all to consider this fact. I know that they may use the animals to appeal to younger audiences but who else would like someone who is the same race as the player?

~CyanGirl

Are you zoo-phobic? There is one NPC in Marleybone who is human ( Ned Land ).Most humans seem to be concentrated in Skull Island. Young Alex, Dockmaster Dan, Surly John Remington and others. I'm sure other humans will show up; though humans seem to be a minority species in the Spiral.
This kind of puts a perspective on our human-centric egos, yes?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012

~CyanGirl

Dear Emmaline, it seems that humans are something of a deliberate rarity in the Spiral; perhaps these few humans arrived accidentally (over time) or via magic (more on that momentarily). Sometimes the humans are assimilated in the societies they find themselves in (the barkeep in the Admiral Benbow, and Penny Dreadful's family, both in Marleybone come to mind), but frequently it seems they have made their own societies on the fringes (most notably Skull Island and Wizard City).

There are quite a number of humans in Skull Island; some of the shopkeepers are human, for instance. If you let your imagination run a bit, you can envision the settlements of Skull Island a motley affair where humans rub shoulders with Sharks, Cats, Dogs, Rats, ect. -- people that were misfits or outlaws in their own worlds, but have come to make their fortune in the wild outskirts of the Spiral. We don't see all those people of course, but our imagination can readily fill in the gap. After all, that kid running around the shopping district surely has a home (she's no sad, hungry orphan), and the shopkeepers certainly have homes to go to after they lock up their stores in the evening.

Wizard City (unknown to our pirates) is certainly a human haven, although other peoples also exist, perhaps simply through its draw to magically talented. It is implied that likely our wizard arrives from outside the Spiral.

Our pirate, however, is a native of the Spiral, and thus has a more intimate familiarity with this cosmos, as well as the advantages conferred by the education from their foster family. I will also point out that likely the Mysterious 'G' is human, as the puppet show shows very human (male) hands creating the mechanical birds. Which also makes it no accident that the Armada are made after human forms.

The device of People that are not human, but rather of various animal forms has been famously done in the excellent Chronicles of Narnia, and there too, humans are rare. Here though in the Spiral, humans are not revered, but have the challenge of needing to find their own way in the societies formed by other Peoples.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012

~CyanGirl

I get what you're saying, but I think its cool (and cute). I mean, who doesn't love a pun like Duck Holiday or The Rat Pack. I am a pre-teen as well and I just think its hysterical (i.e. ninja pigs).

Fearless Finnagan lvl 52

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
The idea of evil pigs was always funny. Who here has ever played Tomba? You had to kill the evil wizard pigs by throwing them into evil pig bags which sealed their powers lol

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I don't know if you've played Wizard101, but there is one world that's exclusively inhabited by humans ( although they are dead and in spirit form ) And that's Dragonspyre. I've always thought our pirate's families came from there; the ones that escaped the destruction caused by the Dragon Titan and it's army.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
anecorbie on Jan 20, 2015 wrote:
I don't know if you've played Wizard101, but there is one world that's exclusively inhabited by humans ( although they are dead and in spirit form ) And that's Dragonspyre. I've always thought our pirate's families came from there; the ones that escaped the destruction caused by the Dragon Titan and it's army.
That's a very good observation, Esperanza. I never thought of Dragonspyre being a predominantly human world within the Spiral. Hmm...

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
I've always loved the fact that humans are a rarity in The Spiral, it truly separates reality and imagination to an extent of course and although I love being human having animal companions and seeing different types of animals in place of humans is a really funny, somewhat ironic and imaginative thing for me. Although I do love animals more than humans XD so this is rather biased although I wouldn't mind seeing more humans. I've always though of humans being a single race or species of animals in the spiral and the different cultures, ethnicities and age groups are shown through different species of animals to make them more unique :p

Petty Officer
Jun 13, 2013
It seems like the only humans you see are dead ones, and only in skull island.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
cat25529 on Jan 29, 2015 wrote:
It seems like the only humans you see are dead ones, and only in skull island.
There are plenty of living humans in Skull Island, Blood Shoals and Flotsam. Look at Captain Avery and Vadima, then Jolly Roger, the free-trader; there's Surly John Remington, and that Smith guy ( whose daughter swashbucklers have to rescue to gain First Strike ). Don't forget Dockmaster Dan and Crazy Nate. There's the guy who sends you to Joe Kairo ( ? ) for the quest of the MooShu Falcon. There's that girl who runs around the beach and town, too.
Then there's Crimson Jake and Young Alex in Blood Shoals
And in Flotsam you meet Charlie Kennit who sends you to look for his nephew in the quest "A Chill Wind". And if you have Birgus Latro on your crew his first promotion quest send you to Old Ned.
Just look at all these human NPCs I've mentioned, did I leave anyone out?

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Most humans you see are dead/undead.

There are young orphans everywhere.

Coincidence? I think not.

How old will be allowed to live before Avery kills us and reanimates us?

-Indigo

Petty Officer
Feb 27, 2009
Personally, I like the less humans thing. Stories and games that have other intelligent species with thumbs are aplenty, but they all seem in the long haul to have the humans on the top. I think it's good to have the humans as the minor species for a change.

"A human? How intriguing!" -Phule's first appearance in Marco Pollo's tomb in Granchia.

Quentin Davenport, lvl 65

Marcus Davenport, lvl 24

Petty Officer
Feb 27, 2009
anecorbie on Jan 20, 2015 wrote:
Interseting theory anecorbie.

Quentin Davenport, lvl 65

Marcus Davenport, lvl 24

OR find me in Wizard101

Marcus Suncrafter, lvl 77

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Oops! How could I forget Prospector Zeke? Whenever I reach a new world I try to find him and get his quests.
Also there is Ned Land in Marleybone and poor Dr. Gordon ( the Were-man ) !
And my favorite purveyor of stitchery - Eloise Merryweather.

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
Humans are actually a rarity in the Spiral in Pirate101. In Phule's dialogue in Marco Pollo's tomb, he draws attention to the fact that you are human. He pretty much says, "A human?! Here?!" He put more emphasis upon your race than your "occupation" (that being some form of piracy).

Perhaps most of the humans died out, explaining why the skeleton NPCs are predominantly human in apperance -- with the exception of missing lower jaws (or, potentially, incredibly bad overbites).

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
anecorbie on Jan 29, 2015 wrote:
There are plenty of living humans in Skull Island, Blood Shoals and Flotsam. Look at Captain Avery and Vadima, then Jolly Roger, the free-trader; there's Surly John Remington, and that Smith guy ( whose daughter swashbucklers have to rescue to gain First Strike ). Don't forget Dockmaster Dan and Crazy Nate. There's the guy who sends you to Joe Kairo ( ? ) for the quest of the MooShu Falcon. There's that girl who runs around the beach and town, too.
Then there's Crimson Jake and Young Alex in Blood Shoals
And in Flotsam you meet Charlie Kennit who sends you to look for his nephew in the quest "A Chill Wind". And if you have Birgus Latro on your crew his first promotion quest send you to Old Ned.
Just look at all these human NPCs I've mentioned, did I leave anyone out?
You forgot the bride from cool ranch.

Petty Officer
Feb 29, 2012
Yes, the humans all died out in Dragonspyre, cursed spirits never to leave the realm. (Human+Dragon world, remember). There are also some humans who escaped Wizard City and Dragonspyre for piracy. YO HO HO! And then Wizard City (Drakes, Human School Teachers), they came from Dragonspyre. So Dragonspyre is the human world, but some escaped to the other parts of the spiral. This is why Phule says "A human?!, Here?!", because they're aren't much humans left in the spiral other than the cursed spirits of Dragonspyre, and Wizard City. Maybe he says it because he doesn't think they are brave enough to enter? But I dought that.
This is my theory.