Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

My Unicorn Problem

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 21, 2010
I recently got Ridolfo Copoferro (the Unicorn Swashbuckler) from Valencia. I love his Riposte! However, my issue with my unicorn friend, is that no one seems to like him. I don't believe him to be a tank and when I send him into battle, it's like the enemies are drawn to him. The Musketeers in the Armada were quite excited about killing him. Does anyone know why this is or how I can stop it? Thanks,
-Sarcastic Samantha Kirk, Level 19 Musketeer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Rainbow0839 on Jan 2, 2015 wrote:
I recently got Ridolfo Copoferro (the Unicorn Swashbuckler) from Valencia. I love his Riposte! However, my issue with my unicorn friend, is that no one seems to like him. I don't believe him to be a tank and when I send him into battle, it's like the enemies are drawn to him. The Musketeers in the Armada were quite excited about killing him. Does anyone know why this is or how I can stop it? Thanks,
Like all swashbucklers, Ridolfo has terrible health! Beef up his dodge, and give him a few ranks in armor or tough.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
Ratbeard can correct me on this but I think enemies sometimes go after the biggest threat. Ridolpho can deal quite a bit of damage so maybe the armada viewed him as the most dangerous.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Sadly, the only way to keep him from getting targeted is not to use him at all which defeats the purpose of having a good companion. It seems like once someone gets wounded the others pile on to make sure he goes down. And yes, my poor musketeer has found that her unicorn gets creamed pretty regularly.

If possible, don't send him out to the front alone. I get that he's quick and hitty, but he's also low on the hit points, even if you give him tough every time you get the chance.

Bump his dodgy and use him for clean up if you can. If you have a tank crew member, get them out together when you can; hopefully the tank will soak up some damage.

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
I got ridolfo around the same tiime i suggest that you find gear or learn a protection spell like valor armor and place one or to on him btw in cool ranch the miranda dungeon has to drops that give valor armor, a hat and shirt

reckless benjamin nightingale

Ensign
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks that helps a lot! I just realized I was comparing his health to companions 5-6 levels lower! The main reason I like him is because he has high dodge and Riposte which consistently deals around 160 damage. Once he promotes I'll be getting Riposte 2. Would you consider Ratbeard a tank? My crew currently consists of Ridolfo, Ratbeard and Bonnie Anne and I like the way they work together. Thanks again for the advice!

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Ridolfo is a great companion, i would recommend giving this companion lots of agility,rough and accuracy, a little health and armor at the beginning. Remember to protect him by sending another strong companion or two.Train him a lot also, by the time he reaches a certain level, for example when he got a promotion to the next tire he is a force to be reckon with. That happens to alot to companion when they look intimidating to the opponent. Belive it or not by the time our pirate(s) exit skull island and enter to other worlds in the spiral the opponents got smarter and more skilled at targeting a particular companion. That is why our pirate(s) always look a new way to fight on and save the spiral.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Haha, i have had this same problem with my ridolfo, just try to keep them busy with a few critical attacks with your character, thats what i do.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Hmm...wait,you're questioning why Armada Musketeers would be enthusiastic in taking down a notorious Resistance member?

It is weird.I mean,the Germans never ever wanted Michelle Dubois(Allo Allo) dead.

Ensign
Jul 21, 2010
The Hoodoo Master on Jan 4, 2015 wrote:
Hmm...wait,you're questioning why Armada Musketeers would be enthusiastic in taking down a notorious Resistance member?

It is weird.I mean,the Germans never ever wanted Michelle Dubois(Allo Allo) dead.
Good point! I didn't think of it that way!

Ensign
Jul 21, 2010
Monkrinx2024 on Jan 3, 2015 wrote:
Ridolfo is a great companion, i would recommend giving this companion lots of agility,rough and accuracy, a little health and armor at the beginning. Remember to protect him by sending another strong companion or two.Train him a lot also, by the time he reaches a certain level, for example when he got a promotion to the next tire he is a force to be reckon with. That happens to alot to companion when they look intimidating to the opponent. Belive it or not by the time our pirate(s) exit skull island and enter to other worlds in the spiral the opponents got smarter and more skilled at targeting a particular companion. That is why our pirate(s) always look a new way to fight on and save the spiral.
Hold on... Let me find a pen so I can write that down The salamanders (?) that fight with the Banditoads usually target Bonnie Anne. Thanks for the advice!

Captain
May 16, 2011
Every character, whether it's a companion, or the main pirate, generates threat. Threat determines how likely enemies will attack a certain character. If Ridolfo is ever in trouble, I suggest you send him to a map edge(the furthest from enemies) and spam attacks from other characters, and try your best to take the enemies off him.

Swashbucklers(and another class, I believe, though I can't quite grasp it's name) can train talents which lower their threat. Perhaps KI will release a Peace(just throwing out a name here) talent for companions in the next update. Hopefully my tip will at least lessen the beating Ridolfo takes.

Here's to Ridolfo living!

~ Thunder

Ensign
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks! All of your answers really helped me! I believe as a Musketeer a can learn 'Peace'. Maybe...