Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirate101 losing its theme?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Mar 09, 2013
I stated to notice starting Marleybone that the main pirate theme was starting to leave. By Aquila it was no longer there. Its just that the theme of being a pirate is less of a hero thing, and more of a dastardly rouge who robs and murders people. As Jack Sparrow once said, "It is my intention to raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weaselly black guts out." Instead we are becoming more of a heroic do-gooder sailor with a really weird crew. I know its hard to keep this while still making it an appropriate game, but maybe a few more quests involving black markets, smuggling, raiding, and more piratey things. OK, i'm good now. Rant over.

Clever Sam Jones

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Here is an excellent post by writer Blind Mew that will explain a lot of your concerns. (Well all of his posts are excellent but this one is at the top of my list.)

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Well if you think of it in one way, we are only helping people to obtain a piece to a land of great power!

Petty Officer
Jan 31, 2013
I noticed this back in Mooshu when doing piratey things seemed few and far between. Sure we made a few folks mad but they were villains in the first place so it didn't really feel justified. I understand that this is a family game, but a little bit more effort could be thrown in to have our pirates be pirates. Especially when we're in places that have nothing remotely close to being pirates in. It was weird in Cooper's Roost, and even more so now.

"Arr! Surrender all ye gold or I'll make ye walk the plank!" - Pirate Captain

"I say! Dastardly pirates, eh? My what a truly thrilling experience this is. Now then, what was it that you asked? Surrender ye gold? Oh! You must mean hand over my coin purse. There's no need for such unsavory violence. I'm sure we can work something out. If you were to run all over the place collecting things for me, and getting into all sorts of scraps with the low life ruffians I will gladly pay you a little bit of coin for your troubles. Now be off with you; my tea is about ready." - Gentleman Marleybone

"I - you - arrrr!!" Pirate Captain

That's how I feel anyways. I don't even like how we're suppose to feel bad for being pirates in the first place. Yes we can be hero's but it never should have lost it's dastardly pirate theme.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
You make a good point, Monsieur Jones, though I for one would not want to be like Jack Sparrow, who although charming and often delightfully whimsical, is really not a nice person at all. I'd much rather be what we are, which I see as something of a 'Robin Hood of the Skies', maybe not always on the right side of the law (depending on who is making the law), but one who is trying to do the right thing.

But that is my view. I'm running a character (several, really) who honestly is terrible pirate material, motivated by a desire to be heroic and virtuous. If she didn't have to always look over her shoulder to evade arrest by the Armada all the time, likely her life would be much different. But that is one of the great things about Pirate101, the strength of the storyline which yet has sufficient looseness in the weave of it to allow your own imagination to flourish. Although our pirates all share the same story, their reactions and motivations can be greatly different. Your pirate can be a wild-eyed, idealistic do-gooder or a self-centered rascal who does these good deeds largely out of pragmatic intent, or many other variations on the theme.

Still, in Marleybone, we do raid Armada ships (yay!), and off-story-line I've assumed we've made plenty of tea-smuggling operations into Marleybone (help the Marleyboneans, annoy the Armada, and make a profit! Even Ratbeard is happy). As far as Aquila is concerned, if you've read the Odyssey, you've probably realized that Ulysses and his lot often act like pirates themselves. Our quest embroils us in their struggle, but still, we get to fight plenty of pirates too (Vulture ones), whom Anne considers dastardly villains from whom it is okay to steal from, as they stole it from others first!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Captain Rosethorn on Oct 27, 2014 wrote:
I noticed this back in Mooshu when doing piratey things seemed few and far between. Sure we made a few folks mad but they were villains in the first place so it didn't really feel justified. I understand that this is a family game, but a little bit more effort could be thrown in to have our pirates be pirates. Especially when we're in places that have nothing remotely close to being pirates in. It was weird in Cooper's Roost, and even more so now.

"Arr! Surrender all ye gold or I'll make ye walk the plank!" - Pirate Captain

"I say! Dastardly pirates, eh? My what a truly thrilling experience this is. Now then, what was it that you asked? Surrender ye gold? Oh! You must mean hand over my coin purse. There's no need for such unsavory violence. I'm sure we can work something out. If you were to run all over the place collecting things for me, and getting into all sorts of scraps with the low life ruffians I will gladly pay you a little bit of coin for your troubles. Now be off with you; my tea is about ready." - Gentleman Marleybone

"I - you - arrrr!!" Pirate Captain

That's how I feel anyways. I don't even like how we're suppose to feel bad for being pirates in the first place. Yes we can be hero's but it never should have lost it's dastardly pirate theme.
Arrr! I be tired of runnin' errands an' doin' the grocery shoppin'! Collect gold from undeserving villains? Yar, mate!
In Cool Ranch:
Sam Clemens: Please make a withdrawal from the bank.
Me: Yippie, I get to rob a bank!
Bonnie Anne: Show of hands, please! You saw this plot device coming?

Undeserving peons demanding our help: "Go destroy some ships, risk your neck because we're too weak to defend ourselves; then maybe we'll give you what you're looking for."
Esperanza: "Arrrgh!" ( as Bonnie Anne drags her away before she commits bloody mayhem )

Please, a little more balance between 'rogue' and 'heart of gold'! We can be heroic and just a little bit more naughty. Can we trick someone for a change, instead of being tricked?

Monkey King: "I did point out that you were very gullible."

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Who said every Pirate has to be Piratical? I think it's perfectly find that we play in a more heroic Pirate's perspective. All the other Pirates, including our crew members don't seem to have a problem with that.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
I agree;

I don't feel like people in Aquila are pirates at all. Everyone gets titles like they're royalty dudes and no longer people living in wooden shacks and stuff like real manly pirate people. The crew turns into a bunch of veterans who have a giant ship. So now I've spent too much time thinking about what I'm going to write next, and I think I'll just end here so that I can go back to begging people to help me kill Rooke.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I loved the whole thing in Monquista with the plantain. I got a kick out of working for the Jesuits I once yelled "The fruit of the deceiver!" at plantains at Wegmans. Yes people did stare and I'm proud of it!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Oct 28, 2014 wrote:
I loved the whole thing in Monquista with the plantain. I got a kick out of working for the Jesuits I once yelled "The fruit of the deceiver!" at plantains at Wegmans. Yes people did stare and I'm proud of it!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
LOL! There have been many times I see something and I almost want to yell some sort of Pirate101-esque phrase at it!

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
warriorscreed on Oct 28, 2014 wrote:
LOL! There have been many times I see something and I almost want to yell some sort of Pirate101-esque phrase at it!
Actually, my dad and I took an hour long walk, and the whole time, I was explaining the Pirate101 Advanced Pets and Breeding details! If any friend asks me about Pirate101, I could go on for HOURS explaining it!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
If you want to see a good example of a heroic pirate ( who nevertheless, does piratety things I. I highly recommend Captain Blood ( the movie, not the p101 character ) Starring Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone ( btw a much better fencer than Flynn ) and Olivia De Haviland.
There you see Blood, an innocent man sentenced to permanent servitude in Jamaica, he escapes, joins a pirate crew and rapidly rises to the captainship.
He falls in love with the Governor's daughter ( sound familiar? ). Then saves her from the truly dastardly pirate ( Rathbone ).
Very worth viewing and I'm sure Blind Mew has certainly viewed it more than a few times.

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
Clever Sam Jones on Oct 26, 2014 wrote:
I stated to notice starting Marleybone that the main pirate theme was starting to leave. By Aquila it was no longer there. Its just that the theme of being a pirate is less of a hero thing, and more of a dastardly rouge who robs and murders people. As Jack Sparrow once said, "It is my intention to raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weaselly black guts out." Instead we are becoming more of a heroic do-gooder sailor with a really weird crew. I know its hard to keep this while still making it an appropriate game, but maybe a few more quests involving black markets, smuggling, raiding, and more piratey things. OK, i'm good now. Rant over.

Clever Sam Jones
I agree that the theme of pirates pretty much disappeared the minute we left Skull Island, but a perpetual Skull Island would get tiring very quickly, as would Wizard101 if it took place only in Ravenwood. As for our pirate being a do-gooder, not a chance. Our pirate has broken the law multiple times in every world we visit. We do favors for others because we're not above breaking the law to serve justice. Essentially, we do everybody's dirty work, which includes committing murder, theft, etc. In that way, we are very much pirates. I can't deny that we have a weird crew, however. That goes without saying.

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 41

Ensign
Nov 13, 2014
had quests fr manny, moe and jack but now they gone i casn not find the quests i cant even talk to lasko how do i get quest back already retraced steps to no avail

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Clever Sam Jones on Oct 26, 2014 wrote:

Clever Sam Jones
Well, i would rather be a heroic pirate who saves the world then some greedy pirate who just cares about money $$$, who agrees with me?

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 27, 2014 wrote:
You make a good point, Monsieur Jones, though I for one would not want to be like Jack Sparrow, who although charming and often delightfully whimsical, is really not a nice person at all. I'd much rather be what we are, which I see as something of a 'Robin Hood of the Skies', maybe not always on the right side of the law (depending on who is making the law), but one who is trying to do the right thing.

But that is my view. I'm running a character (several, really) who honestly is terrible pirate material, motivated by a desire to be heroic and virtuous. If she didn't have to always look over her shoulder to evade arrest by the Armada all the time, likely her life would be much different. But that is one of the great things about Pirate101, the strength of the storyline which yet has sufficient looseness in the weave of it to allow your own imagination to flourish. Although our pirates all share the same story, their reactions and motivations can be greatly different. Your pirate can be a wild-eyed, idealistic do-gooder or a self-centered rascal who does these good deeds largely out of pragmatic intent, or many other variations on the theme.

Still, in Marleybone, we do raid Armada ships (yay!), and off-story-line I've assumed we've made plenty of tea-smuggling operations into Marleybone (help the Marleyboneans, annoy the Armada, and make a profit! Even Ratbeard is happy). As far as Aquila is concerned, if you've read the Odyssey, you've probably realized that Ulysses and his lot often act like pirates themselves. Our quest embroils us in their struggle, but still, we get to fight plenty of pirates too (Vulture ones), whom Anne considers dastardly villains from whom it is okay to steal from, as they stole it from others first!
Agreed, well said indeed.