Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Blade Storm and criticals are broken now.

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Nov 29, 2011
With the new August update I noticed a terrible change to the criticals. Now, when you get one you perform a "bonus attack" using the Blade Storm power. However, I detest this. Why? Firstly, it doesn't work with the guaranteed criticals. Second, the enemies get criticals ALL THE TIME, downing a companion WITH FULL HEALTH in two hits, both criticals.Third, the Blade Storm power doesn't work now, as this as complicated things too much for the game. I'm sure that Musketeers are having the same problem with Double Tap. Kingsisle, if you're listening, please either fix this or remove it altogether. Thank you for listening.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
ordeith on Sep 5, 2014 wrote:
With the new August update I noticed a terrible change to the criticals. Now, when you get one you perform a "bonus attack" using the Blade Storm power. However, I detest this. Why? Firstly, it doesn't work with the guaranteed criticals. Second, the enemies get criticals ALL THE TIME, downing a companion WITH FULL HEALTH in two hits, both criticals.Third, the Blade Storm power doesn't work now, as this as complicated things too much for the game. I'm sure that Musketeers are having the same problem with Double Tap. Kingsisle, if you're listening, please either fix this or remove it altogether. Thank you for listening.
Guessing you didn't get on the Test Realm- I must disagree with you. If anything, this helps me, but maybe only because I'm a privateer. Although an altogether separate epic with a bonus attack for every critical instead of doing that with Blade Storm would be very handy.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Blade storm is not broken, it is simply enhanced now. This is a great addition to the game, it gives all companions more and makes all of them even more fun. Yes, this feature does work with critical cards!

All classes have the same chances, mojo rising, double tap, blade storm, everyone has the ability, it creates a whole new dynamic that is fun and exciting. Just because you don't want to adjust to this feature, doesn't mean everyone doesn't! If you give it a chance and learn more about it, you might learn you like it and even enjoy it.

Secondly, if you only have blade storm 1, that is only 1 chance, but when you get blade storm 2, you get up to 3 chances per turn, so you may get 2 epic hits and extra hits with blade storm, then if you kill an enemy you still get to attack another enemy upon the defeat of an enemy. This is truly fun and epic.

Not sure what is to complain about, except that it is new and many people don't like new.

Ensign
Aug 17, 2012
It does work with guaranteed criticals. I've tested this extensively. There were instances of Epics occasionally not activating in the game before this update. I don't see it happening with any increased frequency.

If anything, this update made Cool Ranch/MooShu more doable as a Buccaneer. KI reverting this would be a step in the wrong direction towards a balanced PvE.

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
I like this idea of an extra attack once you hit with a super, mega or epic hit. It is basically like another burst fire and since my main character is a musketeer I find it quite useful. If you think it about it, it isn't that bad and I definitely don't think it was a bug, I think KI wanted to make more use of double tap, blade storm and mojo rising instead of just finishing off one enemy and then attacking another. As I said before I really like how they put this in the game but this is my opinion.
Brave Bradley Barclay

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
I like this feature, it makes battle more interesting for both sides. In my opinion I thin km this feature should be kept.

Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2009
If the enemy is getting criticals all the time, it is your defense you need to work on.....not a change to the system. Remember, if the enemy's primary stats are higher than your own, they will have a better chance to critical more often.

Petty Officer
Nov 29, 2011
I cannot understand this... When my companions used their guaranteed attacks they ABSOLUTELY did not use their bonus. Even when the critical was natural, they STILL didn't use it. It doesn't work AT ALL for me. This leaves me at a HUGE disadvantage when fighting. Of course, it works for the enemies every time THEY get a critical, downing a companion with FULL HEALTH in two hits. I cannot see how this is good. Nothing you say will change my mind. This MUST be removed.

Ensign
Oct 10, 2009
You know its all about luck im a buccaneer and im getting tons of critacals and I wreck. All you need to do is boost up your crit. and use kraken coils, sharks, or whales or something.

hope this helped

Reckless Nicholas Strong

Bosun
May 10, 2010
ordeith on Sep 6, 2014 wrote:
I cannot understand this... When my companions used their guaranteed attacks they ABSOLUTELY did not use their bonus. Even when the critical was natural, they STILL didn't use it. It doesn't work AT ALL for me. This leaves me at a HUGE disadvantage when fighting. Of course, it works for the enemies every time THEY get a critical, downing a companion with FULL HEALTH in two hits. I cannot see how this is good. Nothing you say will change my mind. This MUST be removed.
You or your companion MUST have the Blade storm, Mojo Rising, or Double Tap talent trained for this to work. Also, it only works 1 time if you only have Blade storm, mojo rising, or double tap 1, it can work up to 3 times all in the same round, if you have blade storm, mojo rising, or double tap 2.

I seriously doubt this works for everyone else, but fails to work for you, so all I can see here is human error or a lack of understanding the mechanics. Still, you state that nothing will change your mind, fine, but YOU do not speak for the entire Pirate101 community! So nothing HAS to be removed!!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ordeith on Sep 6, 2014 wrote:
I have to ask, you say that the enemy are defeating your companions in two hits, that they always critical on your companions; have you leveled them to at least one level below you? Trained them correctly ( making sure that their stats are in keeping with their class ) ? How's their accuracy, dodge and armor?
I don't know why you are having such trouble while the rest of us ( at least those on this post ) aren't having any problems with this enhancement at all.

Petty Officer
Nov 29, 2011
Ah, now you see, I did not know that you had to have the actual talent! In that case, I can still stand part of my ground, as I cannot re-train my companions. Most melee-based enemies have Blade Storm, which still gives them an advantage over us.

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
ordeith on Sep 8, 2014 wrote:
Ah, now you see, I did not know that you had to have the actual talent! In that case, I can still stand part of my ground, as I cannot re-train my companions. Most melee-based enemies have Blade Storm, which still gives them an advantage over us.
We're pirates we are overpowered with our powers and attacks, never think you don't have an advantage because most of the time you will always. Our companions help us so much without them we wouldn't really survive any fight coming to us.