Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Subodai Horse Khan

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 19, 2013
I have heard a lot of people saying lately subodai is worthless. well this is for swashbuckler or people who bought the one from the crown shop. DO YOU THINK HE IS WORTHLESS? At Khan rank? Salty Jack Dennis lvl65 Swashbuckler

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
At Khan Level, Subodai is an awesome force! Train up his armor & tough stats, boost his accuracy, he will mow down your enemies! He is on my first page of companions, on the second line ( that shows you what I think of him ).
Of course he doesn't do well against musketeers ( range attacks ) or privateers in pvp, so perhaps people are complaining about that.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
jackcutless on Jul 13, 2014 wrote:
I have heard a lot of people saying lately subodai is worthless. well this is for swashbuckler or people who bought the one from the crown shop. DO YOU THINK HE IS WORTHLESS? At Khan rank? Salty Jack Dennis lvl65 Swashbuckler
well kobe is way more beast, if you mess with him and he lets you live you would wish you were dead. although subodai is good but not really the best starter

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I don't use really use Subodai all that often. My current team is Bonnie Anne, Shiruku Neko, and Sarah Steele. If one of them gets defeated, I replace them with Old Scratch, Ratbeard, El Toro, or Subodai. But since Subodai is on the bottom of the replacement list (and the lowest leveled of that list) I don't use him very much. Actually, I'm in the middle of his promotion right now. I'll post again when I've finished it.

But, while we are on the subject, he is not worthless in my opinion. For quite a long time, Subodai was my firstmate and also held the position of lead tush kicker on my crew. He is quite strong, and if he wasn't underleveled I'd have him in my top three. His epics work very well with my strategy, and they trigger more predictably than other companions'. My only issue with Subodai is his accuracy. I was helping another Swashbuckler who had a Subodai at Horse Khan, and the enemies kept dodging Subodai's attacks. That being said, I'm going to focus on training his accuracy talent.

To sum that all up: Subodai is a strong companion who is not worthless. Besides, his dialogue is hilarious!

-Misty Jackson, level 57 Swashbuckler

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hello Jack and welcome to the message boards!

I for one think that Subodai is quite a Warrior Wrecking Ball. I have him on my Swash of course, but I also purchased Temujin from the Crown Shop for my Buccaneer. Temujin is as hardy and trusty of a steed as you could wish for (sorry Donkey), at least for my Buccaneer he is. He was my First Mate for quite a long time and was only moved to my #2 slot, when Peter Quint was made available with the recent updates.

But I absolutely love Temujin and pretty much never go into battle without him. He is extremely well rounded. With Relentless x 3 and backed by a few Strength buffs, he does some major damage and often criticals on 3, 4 even 5 strikes per round.

Here's the key stats for my Level 65 Horse Khan:

94 Strength, 108 for Accuracy and Dodge, 98 Armor, 2853 Health, 321 Damage
A Super Critical Power and a Mega Critical Power- Relentless x 3 and Vengeance Strike x 2
(I Have also set him up before with Flanking x 1 and Relentless x 2 since with careful positioning and planning, Flanking is a "guaranteed" to trigger, once per round Epic Talent, where as Relentless isn't a guarantee and many times in any given round, doesn't trigger at least one of them)

With his high health and extremely high armor, I have hardly ever had to use a healing power on him and have never needed to use a Damage Blocking or Spirit Shield on him- thus leaving those powers available to use on other more "fragile" companions. Even against Aquilian enemies, he often takes out one with full health in only 1 turn- again with Strength Buffing and receiving multiple Relentless, and multiple Critical Hits from them, being the key.

I certainly don't think he is worthless and am sure glad he is a part of Valkoor's crew- he has save the day many a times. In my experiences, I much more prefer him even over Hawkules, due to Hawk not being able to sustain as much damage. For some reason, even with maxed dodge, the Beaked Warrior still seems to take quite a bit of punishment from not dodging or blocking and with his low armor it only takes a couple of Critical Hits from an enemy to put him in jeopardy. Sure you can use a Spirit Shield or Valor's Fortress on Hawkules, but with Temujin and his high armor, I have never needed to and can use the Shields and Valor's on other crew members that may need it more.

So to me and in my opinion, Temujin is a must have for a Buccaneer. But he may not be as valuable to other classes. But honestly, all of the starter companions (and their Crown Shop counterparts) are pretty awesome and when using against different enemies they are interchangeable in the important role department. Actually, I quite enjoy all of them, Subodai/Temujin included......and as a matter of fact, pretty much all of my companions.

But yeah, Temujin is rock solid and quite an impressive Warrior Khan!

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Subodai? WORTHLESS!!?? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! He is one of my most useful companions! His massive health makes him a powerhouse. Plus he can reduce agility and accuracy with his buccaneer strike. He almost never misses, (for me, anyway), and does a decent amount of damage. He can last a long time on the battlefield, and he is the most dependable companion that won't die on me so quickly.