Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

First Strike>Vengeance strike

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 20, 2012
When it comes to pvping swashbucklers my down fall every time is their first strike damaging me cause of my vengeance. That's 3 hard hits plus when I do attack bucklers dodge 2/3 attacks i do which activates riposte which is even MORE attacks done to me. By that time all i did was a charge while they slashed my health down (even with armor). Now i'm not complaining but I would like to know any tips for avoiding this and still being able to finish a buckler off. Thank you.

Blaze:65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Marleybonian Myth ... on Jun 2, 2014 wrote:
When it comes to pvping swashbucklers my down fall every time is their first strike damaging me cause of my vengeance. That's 3 hard hits plus when I do attack bucklers dodge 2/3 attacks i do which activates riposte which is even MORE attacks done to me. By that time all i did was a charge while they slashed my health down (even with armor). Now i'm not complaining but I would like to know any tips for avoiding this and still being able to finish a buckler off. Thank you.

This very best way to avoid this is - don't try to hit a swashbuckler! Seriously though, a Brutal or is Cruel charge ( ? ) that reduces both agility and dodge can be effective, also have Bonnie Anne with her scattershot that reduces dodge. Basically anything that reduces dodge and agility is the downfall of the swashbuckler.
Esperanza 65

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010

Well, first strike is slightly lower damage than any other epic. I suggest you only use a vicious charge on a swashbuckler first, so they wont be able to hit with their first strikes or riposte. Bringing companions like El Toro to increase your dodge also help with this. And if you can't do any of the above, just dont attack them. If you know that no matter what attack you choose, you're bound to be severely damaged, ignore them and go for their companions, and use your companions to focus on them.
As a swashbuckler in PvP i tend not to attack buccaneers, as they pose almost no threat to me. If i had a buccaneer, my main priorities would be reducing accuracy, then using any assassin's strikes from gear etc.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 56

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
El Toro's buff is gold in this situation, add Levy's Call and Kobe's strike thing for a swashbuckler's demise.

Developer
We've made some changes to Vengeance Strike in the latest patch (currently on Test Realm).

Vengeance Strike now waits until the end of the turn before it triggers.

This should prevent the case where a target with multiple First Strikes gets to unload all his attacks on you before you even get to do one VS.

So, you should see more of a back-and-forth between First Strike and Vengeance Strike instead of the lopsided shredder it was before.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012

Well, my Swashbuckler was my first pirate and is still my favorite. In pvp, a Buccaneer does not want to go toe to toe with a Swashbuckler. When tangling with a Swashbuckler, a good tactic is to use a Buccaneer companion that has Hold The Line rank 3 or the Charge that lowers dodge by 50% along with Burst Fire Musketeer companions or Mojo Echo Witchdoctor companions. If the Swashbuckler has El Toro or other means of countering your attempts to lower their dodge...you could be in for a rough ride. If that's the case then stay away from them if you can and have your ranged units plink away at them.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
AlphaWolf02 on Aug 13, 2014 wrote:
El Toro's buff is gold in this situation, add Levy's Call and Kobe's strike thing for a swashbuckler's demise.
El Toro's buff is countered by a Swashbuckler using their own El Toro. I worry much more about Bonnie Anne than El Toro because when buffed my Swashbuckler's dodge is way over 200. I have never been beaten by a Buccaneer in 1v1, but I would think that Musketeer or Witchdoctor companions would be a big help for them. I know it works well for my Buccaneer. The high accuracy of Musketeers and Musketeer companions, added to the fact that they won't trigger a Swashbuckler's First Strike or Riposte, puts them at the top of my "takedown" list during pvp. I have a pirate from each class so I know all the talents their respective companions possess. I won't rush a Buccaneer who has a companion with hold the line unless I can come in through the back door...at which point the Buccaneer is done. I counter the Buccaneers charging companions with Buccaneer companions of my own so my advice to any Buccaneer who wants to stand a chance against my Swashbuckler would be to use at least one good ranged companion and stock up on gear that gives Assassin's Strike.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

If you use your own Vicious & Brutal Charges, Barnabus w/ his Brutal Charge, Peter Quint w/ his Brutal Charge & Goronado (if you have him) w/ his Vicious Charge- you can greatly reduce the accuracy & effectiveness of a Swashbuckler & other enemies. That's a minimum of 5, -50% Accuracy reduction Powers-- you can easily get 8+ of these powers, of course, from gear & pets that Grant Brutal Charge. Plus all of those Powers grant x2 movement, so you can cover nearly the entire board in most cases. All of those crew members also can be trained w/, up to multiple ranks of Hold the Line, so you can stop many enemies in their tracks. And most of those companions also have either Buccaneer Smash or Buccaneer Strike which will lower the enemies' Agility.

If a Swashbuckler hides &/or uses a team hide, use that chance to fire up your Buccaneer's multiple Valor's Fortress &/or Levi's to negate (and then some) the +100% damage that comes from Hidden & extra damage from Assassin's (except for bleeding). All 3 of those companions & your Buccaneer will have 1 or more ranks of Turn the Tide, so you'll gain +25% weapon damage & +25% Acc. to help your crew connect w/ attacks when health gets below 50%. At Turn the Tide rank 3 they'll also gain +25% Dodge which will help keep the Swash & crew from landing blows & keep your own VS from kicking in and triggering those big time damage dealing Ripostes.

While a Swash & possibly crew are hidden, take advantage of using your Strength buffing powers, such as Whale's Might, Shark's Fury & Kraken's Coils. With your pirate's multiple Strength buffs, Peter's own Whale's Might & with a pet that has Grant's Shark's Fury, you can boost your Strength exponentially in a matter of a couple turns. By having such a HUGE advantage in Strength, your chances of Critical Hits will go up & a Swashbuckler can't dodge a Critical Hit. The increased Strength & Critical Hits kicking in will affect your entire crew & with their possible Blade Storms & the new changes to BS in regards to being triggered by Critical Hits, plus any Assassin's Strikes-- can do some massive damage across your crew that can even rival the damage a Swashbuckler can do. I have done 2,800 plus damage from Critical Assassin's, as a Buccaneer, followed by Follow Through Critical Hits & Glancing Blow Critical Hits as well. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of buffing Strength (when it is safe to), when using a Buck crew. When 'over-buffed' your crew members will gain tremendous damage and Crit Hit boosts. When the enemy Hides, protect & buff your crew's hides!

Also, there's some effective pets out there with reduced enemy accuracy powers if you can get them trained up & to express it. Hopefully they also actually use it in battle! Good luck in your Buccaneering adventures. I love being a Buccaneer & I have seen quite a few Buccaneer PvP'ers out there that have no problems with a Swashbuckler in PvP. It's just a matter of figuring out what works......against any class.