Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How do you name your pirate?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
This is my first started topic

Okay, so I was searching the message boards, and many people put the names of their pirates after their post, me included. That (among other things) got me thinking about how I chose my name. Seeing as you can't rename a pirate after you start the game, there have to be some reasons why you pick your name. Did you simply like the name, or did you name your pirate after somebody? How did you pick your adjective? I had very complex reasons for my pirates' names, what are yours?

Cunning Nicholas Sharp was named after a fictional character I had been trying to work into one of my short stories. (I like to write on days when my parents refuse to let me play video games.) When I found out that Sharp was an applicable last name, I took no hesitation to use Nicholas as my pirate. For my adjective, I simply took a trait I had already assigned to the character, and POOF! Cunning Nicholas Sharp was born.

Two-Faced Israel Jordan is my second pirate. Israel Jordan is a play on words. Jordan and Israel are two countries that border each other in the middle east. The name Israel may have double meaning to me, as I am Jewish (although technically, Jerusalem is a religious center for Christianity and Islam too). I don't know why I chose Two-Faced as an adjective, aside from the fact that I wanted and adjective in the name. Maybe it referred to the name having double meaning. Maybe I was thinking about how Israel and Jordan are completely different despite bordering each other. I may never know. Is a good name supposed to be philosophical?

What do you think? Post below and tell the message boards why you are proudly the owner of

[insert name here] Level [insert level here] [insert type logo here].

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
Pokopolypse on Apr 26, 2014 wrote:

Okay, so I was searching the message boards, and many people put the names of their pirates after their post, me included. That (among other things) got me thinking about how I chose my name. Seeing as you can't rename a pirate after you start the game, there have to be some reasons why you pick your name. Did you simply like the name, or did you name your pirate after somebody? How did you pick your adjective? I had very complex reasons for my pirates' names, what are yours?

Cunning Nicholas Sharp was named after a fictional character I had been trying to work into one of my short stories. (I like to write on days when my parents refuse to let me play video games.) When I found out that Sharp was an applicable last name, I took no hesitation to use Nicholas as my pirate. For my adjective, I simply took a trait I had already assigned to the character, and POOF! Cunning Nicholas Sharp was born.

Two-Faced Israel Jordan is my second pirate. Israel Jordan is a play on words. Jordan and Israel are two countries that border each other in the middle east. The name Israel may have double meaning to me, as I am Jewish (although technically, Jerusalem is a religious center for Christianity and Islam too). I don't know why I chose Two-Faced as an adjective, aside from the fact that I wanted and adjective in the name. Maybe it referred to the name having double meaning. Maybe I was thinking about how Israel and Jordan are completely different despite bordering each other. I may never know. Is a good name supposed to be philosophical?

What do you think? Post below and tell the message boards why you are proudly the owner of

Congrats on your topic, mate! Jack, are you keeping track of this? But anyways...

I am the proud owner of:
George Gordon Level 5
Brave Olivia Gaff Level 6
Ruthless John Gaff Level 1
Crabby Joseph Yard Level 16

I'm only going to explain George, the rest of them are my friends pirates on my account.

First Name: George
Reason: I have my reasons
Last Name: Gordon
Reason: Reminds me of my awesome 5th grade teacher. We were so spoiled.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
I usually give them a name that is funny, named after one of my wizard101 characters, or cleverly done according to the type of Pirate I plan to make them or even a mix of those.
For example my witchdoctor Lazy Rachel Webb is
Lazy: funny because I am usually lazy at getting low level characters leveled up yet she is actually one of my highest leveled characters
Rachel: simply the name my storm character on wizard101 (so you could say she decided to become a pirate)
Webb: Spiders usually are associated with death due to their venom so it is a clever last name since she is a witchdoctor who controls death.

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
Thanks for the replies, guys. I couldn't have asked for a better start to my first topic. I am sure there will be more clever names in the future, but as of now, I would like to note: if you have reasons for your names that would reveal information that Kings Isle does not want you revealing; your first name, your location, etc.- you can just say your pirate "is named after someone I know." After all, that's true, even if it's you who the pirate is named after. Just don't say exactly who it is named after, or KI will moderate the message.

P.S. If I do a future pirate, I may name it after my wizard (thanks for the idea, Rachel) who is currently Level 42 on Dragonspyre. (Too bad Avernus was lame)

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 29
Two-Faced Israel Jordan, Level 10

David Dreamcatcher (Wizard), Level 42 Fire

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Interesting topic. Most of my lot simply have names that sounded good to me, although a couple deliberately share first names with some of my wizards (both my wizard and pirate necromancers are Brynns). But one guy, my first swashbuckler David Gordon, is named after the hero in one of my favorite historical novels - Maurice Walsh's Blackcock's Feather, a novel set during the Elizabethan conquest of Ireland. The title was the nickname of the hero, after the long black feather he wore in his Scottish bonnet - I would love to have a bonnet like that to stitch for David!

Walsh is not particularly well known in the U.S., but one of his works certainly is: he wrote the short story the John Wayne film "The Quiet Man" is based on (it is in a collection of short stories called Green Rushes, if you are interested).

If you like a good swashbuckling yarn, I strongly recommend Blackcock's Feather.

-
Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Excellent topic! I actually put a lot of thought in naming my characters, as you noted there's no re-naming them.

Esperanza Devereaux Level 65 my first character ever! so she's nearly 2 years old! say the name out loud and slowly, it sounds like a song! Also, I love the Elizabethan age, and Devereaux was the family name of the Earl of Essex.

Silver Isis Level 65 I also enjoy reading about Egyptology. So Isis was a natural, Silver is for her hair. I love Marvel's X-Men series so I made her look like Storm.

Black Morgan Moone Level 65 Just had to have a pirate with 'Black' as an adjective! Moone reflects one of my Wizards.

Marion Kidd Level 65 Well Kidd is obviously a reference to Captain Kidd a notorious privateer accused of becoming a pirate.

Darcy Abbott Level 65 Darcy because I love to read Jane Austin. This is such an 'English' name, I simply had to use it!

Newest but with an old name

Bold Bess Nightingale nearly level 15 There is a book I have on my bookshelf Bold in Her Breeches: a history of Women Pirates by Jane Yolen.

So there they are and the reason I named them! Thanks for starting this post!

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
I usually pick a name that will give me a chuckle and lift my spirits when I see it, hence my level 65 buccaneer 'Charming Morgan Freeman', or after a favourite fictional character, which led to the creation of my new swashbuckler, a blonde clad in all black that goes by the name 'Wesley'.

In Wizard101 I also have a thunder Mage going through marleybone whom i've named 'Amanda Dragonbrand' which is a play on words that made me smile when I saw the combination, and is turning out to be a very strong and capable independent young lady indeed.

Nice topic, by the way.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Indigo Ring on Apr 29, 2014 wrote:
Interesting topic. Most of my lot simply have names that sounded good to me, although a couple deliberately share first names with some of my wizards (both my wizard and pirate necromancers are Brynns). But one guy, my first swashbuckler David Gordon, is named after the hero in one of my favorite historical novels - Maurice Walsh's Blackcock's Feather, a novel set during the Elizabethan conquest of Ireland. The title was the nickname of the hero, after the long black feather he wore in his Scottish bonnet - I would love to have a bonnet like that to stitch for David!

Walsh is not particularly well known in the U.S., but one of his works certainly is: he wrote the short story the John Wayne film "The Quiet Man" is based on (it is in a collection of short stories called Green Rushes, if you are interested).

If you like a good swashbuckling yarn, I strongly recommend Blackcock's Feather.

-
Indigo
I would like to recommend Scarface by Andre Norton. It is a book about a young pirate

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Red Scarlet Kidd, my main pirate.
The Red Scarlet part was actually just a random named pick by hitting the random button. Although I kept it both because I though it was funny that name and title were the same colour mostly, and because my name does actually mean "red". The Kidd is a reference to Captain William Kidd, the Scottish privateer who became a pirate when his crew threatened to mutiny.

Where I'm from orginialy, Captain Kidd is actually considered a bit of a folk hero, and there are a few bays where it is known that Captain Kidd used as bases when he was still a privateer hired by the English Navy. There are also many places there where it's rumoured that Captain Kidd buried treasure,.

My second character Red Jenny, is named after my dog, an Irish Setter named Jennifer.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
Pokopolypse on Apr 26, 2014 wrote:

Mine is Jack nightgale because
1 my wizard101 guy is Jack skullbreeze
2 I like the name, it reminds me of a calm cool night on the beach looking into the cloudless night seeing the stars and the moon imagining what else is up there, sorry I have an active imagination got a little carried away but that's what I think.
3 didn't know we could put Morgan freeman as out name

There we go you have your answer, and I suggest you find something your name makes you think of, you may be surprised

-Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer

Petty Officer
Apr 15, 2010
if you've read the MATCHED series you will know of a character named Kai knowing that When i named my character my parents died i chose Kai because his parents died, And Sawkins is a cool name

Kai Sawkins
STAY GOLD (The Outsiders reference)

P.S i do recommend the matched series they are great books besides the second one but well uh STAY GOLD TWICE!

Ensign
Apr 28, 2012
Introducing my pirates

William Blake - Named after the 18th-19th Century English poet.
Isaac Newton - Named after the 16th-17th Century English Physicist and Mathematician.
Lily Evans - Named after a character in the books by J K Rowling.
Richard Sharp(e) - Named after a character in the books by Bernard Cornwell.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Intriguing inquiry, if I say so myself. I'll give this a try...

Savannah, believe it or not, was my very first pirate. Not created, but conceptualized. Before I started Pirate101, I was planning for the game, and my first thought was a Swashbuckler. Running around with the skill of a ninja sounded awesome to me, so I immediately started thinking up Savannah. That name has meant something special to me for a long while- it was the name of a fictional character in something I can't even remember anymore. I related with the character very well, since she was bullied horribly like I was, so it took me no time at all to think of a name for her. But the surname, Underwood... That also came very easily to me. I'm a country music fan, with Carrie Underwood being one of my favorites, so I thought it'd work because it sounded really pretty. As for the 'Insincere' part... I imagined her as a thief from the start, so it came naturally to think she'd be a great liar.

Emma was my first created pirate. She shares the first name of my wizard character, Emma Stormshade. I wanted them to be polar opposites, of course. In all honesty, I named both of them after me... More accurately, my dad named them after me, as he started my wizard account for me and named my wizard for me. So I had no trouble there. 'Sneaky' was imagined soon after, as I liked the way it sounded. The surname took the longest, and that's the reason it's not on her character! Everhart had a nice ring.

Keira was my third pirate. Her name sounds similar to 'Kira', a Japanese name meaning 'dark', so obviously I went with that. Moone? Sounds like 'moon!' 'Dark Moon' was a pretty sounding thing, so I went with it, of course. The 'ruthless' part? What sounds more menacing than a 'ruthless dark moon?' Not much. And it's definitely deceiving, as Keira herself is certainly not menacing! XD

Ciao!

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Interesting topic, mostly my characters are based on a combination of real life friends, celebrities and other things along the way.

Reckless Nicole Ramsey- My first character named after a friend of mine from collage and the last name came from a chef from Heck's ( can't type that word for G rated posting ) Kitchen.

Amber Underwood - My witchdoctor named after a fossilized tree sap and the last name was named after a country singer.

Jessica Orton-My third character named after a friend from collage and the last name came from a wrestler from wwe, he is a good one.The 13th opponent from the undertaker wrestlmania annual event.

Slick Brittany Andrews - This one is tricky the first name came from a singer and the last name came from a wrestler from wwe had a short reign,he was Tayson Kid's body guard.

Sneaky Isabel Morgan - Named after Queen Isabella of Spain, the last name came from a beverage Captain Morgan.

A ( permanent ) 6th character yet to be created, just in case we have a new class added Mutineer ?

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
my pirate is named modest sergio gunwale
modest: they trust and then you hit them where they stand
sergio: closest there is to seargeant
gunwale: musketeer symbol

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
Pokopolypse on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, guys. I couldn't have asked for a better start to my first topic. I am sure there will be more clever names in the future, but as of now, I would like to note: if you have reasons for your names that would reveal information that Kings Isle does not want you revealing; your first name, your location, etc.- you can just say your pirate "is named after someone I know." After all, that's true, even if it's you who the pirate is named after. Just don't say exactly who it is named after, or KI will moderate the message.

P.S. If I do a future pirate, I may name it after my wizard (thanks for the idea, Rachel) who is currently Level 42 on Dragonspyre. (Too bad Avernus was lame)

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 29
Two-Faced Israel Jordan, Level 10

David Dreamcatcher (Wizard), Level 42 Fire
Avernus is useless

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
Highlander Fox of ... on May 2, 2014 wrote:
Intriguing inquiry, if I say so myself. I'll give this a try...

Savannah, believe it or not, was my very first pirate. Not created, but conceptualized. Before I started Pirate101, I was planning for the game, and my first thought was a Swashbuckler. Running around with the skill of a ninja sounded awesome to me, so I immediately started thinking up Savannah. That name has meant something special to me for a long while- it was the name of a fictional character in something I can't even remember anymore. I related with the character very well, since she was bullied horribly like I was, so it took me no time at all to think of a name for her. But the surname, Underwood... That also came very easily to me. I'm a country music fan, with Carrie Underwood being one of my favorites, so I thought it'd work because it sounded really pretty. As for the 'Insincere' part... I imagined her as a thief from the start, so it came naturally to think she'd be a great liar.

Emma was my first created pirate. She shares the first name of my wizard character, Emma Stormshade. I wanted them to be polar opposites, of course. In all honesty, I named both of them after me... More accurately, my dad named them after me, as he started my wizard account for me and named my wizard for me. So I had no trouble there. 'Sneaky' was imagined soon after, as I liked the way it sounded. The surname took the longest, and that's the reason it's not on her character! Everhart had a nice ring.

Keira was my third pirate. Her name sounds similar to 'Kira', a Japanese name meaning 'dark', so obviously I went with that. Moone? Sounds like 'moon!' 'Dark Moon' was a pretty sounding thing, so I went with it, of course. The 'ruthless' part? What sounds more menacing than a 'ruthless dark moon?' Not much. And it's definitely deceiving, as Keira herself is certainly not menacing! XD

Ciao!
i would have guessed grover underwood from percy jackson

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
Thanks for the endless barrage of intriguing and meaningful names, everybody! I don't quite know which one is my favorate. Speaking of barrage, I would like to explain the name of my newest pirate, who is a Privateer!

Reliable David Ironside's name has multiple meanings like my swashbuckler. David was the name of my wizard, which I chose to use on my pirate due to posts on this thread (thanks for the idea) I chose Ironside as my last name, after the "War of 1812" ship "Old Ironsides", currently docked in Boston harbor, which I have visited on two occasions. I wanted to chose Old as my adjective to complete the "Old Ironsides" theme, but Old, alas, is not a choosable adjective for P101. I instead used reliable, referring to the ship's reliability in real life broadside combat. (It was able to win against two english ships at once.) More names will come, and along with them, ideas for me to use for my currently nonexistent and pirates. Keep up the posts!

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 30
Two-Faced Israel Jordan, Level 11
Reliable David Ironside, Level 4

Ensign
Jul 10, 2009
Noble Arthur Fairl... on May 4, 2014 wrote:
i would have guessed grover underwood from percy jackson
That's funny because I guessed the Underwood family from House of Cards...

As for mine-
Ivette Xavier Level 55 - This was my witchdoctor character, so I tried to make everything about her as unusual as possible, which explains her pale skin, blonde hair and white eyes.

Phoebe Level 9 - I made her a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure she'd named after the character in Walk Two Moons, as well as the song that starts with, "Phoebe in her petticoats, Phoebe in her gown ..." I also like how it has an unusual pronunciation and spelling.

Morgan Freeman (girl) Level 8 - I thought it was hilarious that you could name a character, nevermind a girl character, after Morgan Freemen.

Trustworthy Esperanza Chamberlain Level 7 - I always try to have a character with the longest name possible. I am pretty sure this is a letter short. Anyways, I like long names, one of my characters in Wizard101 was named Samantha RainbowFountain ... I also like the name Esperanza. It means hope in Spanish, and it just sounds pretty.

Cynical Cecilia Nightingale Level 9 - This name reminds me of (pretty sure) an episode of Murder, She Wrote where (pretty sure) a character named Cecilia always heard nightingales... Also, its a pretty name, and Cecilia reminds me of the Simon & Garfunkel song of the same name. I see myself as cynical, so the title also fits.The alliteration also doesn't hurt.

Frank Underwood Level 1 or 2 - Main character in House of Cards, which isn't appropriate for children, but its good anyways

Ivette Xavier, Witchdoctor, 55

Gunner's Mate
Dec 31, 2009
Ooh, looks like a fun thread!

In the Beta phase of Pirate101, my pirate's name was Red Destiny Rackham. Destiny has always been my chosen first name for a primary character ever since I created my Thaumaturge (Destiny SoulTamer) years and years ago. I chose Red and Rackham for Red Rackham's treasure, as I've always been fond of the Tintin series of graphic novels.

As Beta came to a close, I found a popular trend among pirates to be alliteration in names. Knowing I'd have to choose between games at one point, I wanted a character with a name as likeable as I thought SoulTamer to be. I immediately enjoyed Devereaux and put together the name D.S. Devereaux to honor both my wizard and my pirate. Wanting a nice prefix, I searched the D section and found Dead-eye to be one of my favorites. Since then, I've worn my Beta eyepatch to remember good times and live up to my name - so was born Dead-eye Destiny Devereaux, followed by Chance the Armadillo Verde.

I've also recently started a Musketeer. Having quickly envisioned Dead-eye as the gruff, say-what's-important-and-no-more type, I wanted to create a character that I could envision as very different. To reflect this, I chose the prefix of Darling. Devereaux was to remain a surname. From my recent re-watching of the Doctor Who series, I decided on the name Donna for my pirate to represent someone with wit but unrelenting kindness at the same time. All together, it's Darling Donna Devereaux and her emerald budgie.