Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Is Nausica OP???

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 26, 2012
This thread had to come sooner or later... I have some questions for all of you, and if you choose to answer please remain calm and polite. These questions are VERY important for the future of PvP, so please answer the following questions:

1.) Do you own a Nausica unit?
2.) Do you think she is over powering? Why/Why not?
2a.) Is Goro OP?
3.) If you answered yes to question 2, what do you think KI should do to balance the game?

Personal Answers:
1.)
No, I do not own a Nausica unit.
2.)
I think she is over powering. She comes with 6 epics, and as you all know any extra epic can make you much stronger. Unlike Bonnie, who can only use stock assault once (and maybe again in an extremely rare situation where she dodges a melee unit), Nausica can use her centaur charge multiple times. This makes her both a ranged and melee unit, thus making her stronger. And 3 critical cards on top of this definitely make her stand out. Even after several debuffs from me, Ratbeard and Subodai, she is still a killing machine and barely has any one she fears (except another Nausica).
2a.)
I do not think Goro is OP. And I don't have him. The reason Goro is not OP is because he can be defeated by counter measures like a swashbuckler (Toro, the pirate themselves, Sarah Steele). It requires some strategy to defeat him with his debuff, but he can be destroyed. Nausica on the other hand has no counter measure but herself, which is very dumb. However both of them together is OP! Many players I have seen in PvP seem to have rebuked anyone who owns Nausica and Goro, and even though I don't like the way they express their point, I wholeheartedly agree with them. They pretty much critizice anyone who owns a payed team, because some strange honor code* of playing fairly seems to be violated when the horse queen and ape king show up.
3.)
I think Nausica has so many epics and powers, she seems like a level 85 companion rather than a level 68 one. Universal companions must get an upgrade. Bonnie and Zeena need the 6th epic, Ratbeard and Subodai could do with a Levi and krakens lament and maybe a danger debuff (-100% acc and agility for 5 turns), and toro could do with some more dodge and maybe even a critical card. The other option is Nerfing. Should normal companions get a dang good upgrade, or should horse lady be nerfed? And Nausica must not get another good promo! She already has enough stuff like a level 85 enemy!

*Honor Code: A strange thing that players feel and share as a community, that strives for a fair PvP environment, where strategy and farming for good equipment are the only means of winning. Payed equipment, companions and weapons are allowed in the honor code as long as they only give a very slight advantage to the user. Nausica seems to violate the code.

Ensign
Jun 16, 2013
1.) Do you own a Nausica unit?
-Yes
2.) Do you think she is over powering? Why/Why not?

-I do believe she is OP in the current PvP environment. Too many epics and a high enough defense to make her extremely powerful, especially against other muskets.
2a.) Is Goro OP?

-No. Powerful, yes, but he has never truly been considered OP due to there being many ways of fighting him off for the *average player.
3.) If you answered yes to question 2, what do you think KI should do to balance the game?
-Personally (and I wish KI would just explain their reasoning x.x) I feel that KI may in fact be a few steps ahead of everyone. Yes, Nausica is OP in the current PvP environment, but look at the timing for the release of the Empire Bundle. About two months or so after KI hinted that they were planning the release of the next big update and the new worlds.
With that will undoubtedly come new features including (hopefully) some changes to the current PvP system as well as a higher level cap and new promotions for already existing companions in addition to new companions entirely. What I'm getting at is, while companions like Bonnie, Ratbeard, the Mooshu Five and many others will likely get new promotions, Nausica probably won't. This means that new powers and epics for the old companions making them stronger and more powerful while Nausica remains much the same, minus being higher level than she already is.
Basically, what I'm getting at is, there are ways to counter her as is, but it requires a lot of strategy, planning, and practice (and only a few of them can be done without Crown Shop companions). But even so, when the new worlds are (FINALLY) released, PvP will be much more fair and balanced (unless another companion takes the OP crown...).

*Average player being that person who had membership for just long enough to get to max lvl and perhaps managed to get some good gear drops during that time. Possibly owns a couple of Crown Shop companions as well.
-Silly Sebastian ()

Petty Officer
Mar 15, 2013
No I do not own one. Yes yes yes! someone agrees with me that nausica is overpowering! See she is a Powerhouse of a companion the way people use her is just annoying also. I mean they rush her with double valor over to you and just keep shooting and shooting her arrows at you, until one or two of your companions are dead. Oh and I have many friends that use nausica and rush her and yes they agree that she is overpowered. (If they think that not sure why they are using her but..). Goro well no I don't think so see goro doesn't get as many bursts or anything and toro can wreck him with his buff. Yes goro can be deadly but not nausica deadly! Now balancing nausica... well that's a tough question to answer. But here is a few ideas, 1) Reduce her burst and critical rate. 2) Remove centaurs charge and point blank ranges. (This is so she cant be rushed kill your entire team in 4 rounds...) There Is 2 ideas that don't make her a bad companion but not crazy overpowering. That's all I have to say on the matter, I am just glad to know someone agrees.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
1) No, i don't have her.
2) Yes she is overpowering. The only companion in game with 6 epic talents, the only companion who has 3 critical attacks, and the only musketeer in game that can move and shoot at the same time. Plus, she gets around 46 armor and 40 something resist, which makes her practically a tank. She has insane range, arguably the best epic choices in the game, not to mention she is currently level 68 (not one, not two, but THREE levels higher then all our main quest companions) which also makes her have more agility then other musketeers, making her burst fire more often, which is just plain unfair.
2a) No, goronado isn't overpowered since swashbucklers can counter him quite easily. He may have a high threat and slightly better than average powers, but no, he's not op.

Quick note, it seems the companions complained to be "op" are all companions you have to pay for. Strange correlation, don't you think?

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
1)
Yes i have her
2)
no, since i am a privateer an all melee team works with my zeal and espirit, and since i use an all debuff team she cant hit anything without her 4 powers
3)
goro isnt OP unless paired with nausica in which case he is, because then half your team is rushing and most likely killing a companion on the first move if its a musket

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
zuto4011a on Feb 10, 2014 wrote:
1)
Yes i have her
2)
no, since i am a privateer an all melee team works with my zeal and espirit, and since i use an all debuff team she cant hit anything without her 4 powers
3)
goro isnt OP unless paired with nausica in which case he is, because then half your team is rushing and most likely killing a companion on the first move if its a musket
that 3 should be a 2a)

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2012
i do not have nausica but i have fought her many times in pvp. As a level 65 musketeer i was shocked when she knocked me out in one turn the first time i battled her. She is way overpowered and i hope KI can figure out ways to make her abilities more fair so the players who don't spend money on bundles have a chance in pvp fights.