Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

"Untraining" Class Powers?

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Hello,

I've recently decided that I may be interested in purchasing back my practice points, but I'm unsure of something - if I purchase this retrain, will it also reset my class powers trained from the trainer? Personally, I'm really hoping the answer would be yes, seeing that going back to pick them up again would be fairly simply and seems like it'd be included in the deal, especially for the asking price of the retrains.

So does anyone know for sure - will I also get to retrain my class powers?

Swordroll's Blog
https://www.swordroll.com/
Lieutenant
Oct 01, 2010
You will only untrain the powers you spent Training Points on. You won't be able to remove the powers you got from your class trainer.

Community Leader
I am unsure of whether or not any of the developers will be reading this, but I would wonder if there'll be a possibility in the future that we can also "untrain" our trainer powers with the reset?

Swordroll's Blog
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Swordroll on Jan 29, 2014 wrote:
I am unsure of whether or not any of the developers will be reading this, but I would wonder if there'll be a possibility in the future that we can also "untrain" our trainer powers with the reset?
I am kind of curious, what would be the point? We have to retrain them in order anyway so what would be the benefit of taking them off only to put them back on to get your hits back?

Community Leader
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 30, 2014 wrote:
I am kind of curious, what would be the point? We have to retrain them in order anyway so what would be the benefit of taking them off only to put them back on to get your hits back?
That's a valid question for sure!

What I had in mind as a Musketeer was getting rid of Quick Draw 2 for PvP. It's not a requirement for any other powers, but it absolutely ruins us against Nausica. If we could eliminate that, Nausica would be no more a threat than any other regular companion to us, and she might be used slightly less. If anything, it evens the playing field so that we don't have to suffer True Grit 3, Burst Fire 2, and Quick Adjust to keep those chains going, on top of a charge and three criticals.

Musketeers aren't the only ones who would benefit, though! Privateers, for example, get a set of Loud powers, which creates aggression toward them in combat. That's not really a Privateer's job, as least not until later in the game when they pick up some nice gear. Until then, they're content to stay in back and effectively buff the companions and use artillery powers to take down enemies. By getting rid of Loud, they're better able to operate up to a certain point. All classes could find some use from this change!

The obvious issue here is playing, as J. Todd Coleman would say, with all ace cards. Of course, that won't be the case here, as eliminating epics and powers from your arsenal has as many drawbacks as is does benefits at times. For example, you'd have to operate completely without Quick Draw in PvE or farming, even in new content, unless you wanted to pay for a complete retrain again. Most major powers are in long chains for the classes, though, so it's not as if they'd be able to skip all the low level powers and just pick up the upper-end ones.

Swordroll's Blog
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Swordroll on Jan 31, 2014 wrote:
That's a valid question for sure!

What I had in mind as a Musketeer was getting rid of Quick Draw 2 for PvP. It's not a requirement for any other powers, but it absolutely ruins us against Nausica. If we could eliminate that, Nausica would be no more a threat than any other regular companion to us, and she might be used slightly less. If anything, it evens the playing field so that we don't have to suffer True Grit 3, Burst Fire 2, and Quick Adjust to keep those chains going, on top of a charge and three criticals.

Musketeers aren't the only ones who would benefit, though! Privateers, for example, get a set of Loud powers, which creates aggression toward them in combat. That's not really a Privateer's job, as least not until later in the game when they pick up some nice gear. Until then, they're content to stay in back and effectively buff the companions and use artillery powers to take down enemies. By getting rid of Loud, they're better able to operate up to a certain point. All classes could find some use from this change!

The obvious issue here is playing, as J. Todd Coleman would say, with all ace cards. Of course, that won't be the case here, as eliminating epics and powers from your arsenal has as many drawbacks as is does benefits at times. For example, you'd have to operate completely without Quick Draw in PvE or farming, even in new content, unless you wanted to pay for a complete retrain again. Most major powers are in long chains for the classes, though, so it's not as if they'd be able to skip all the low level powers and just pick up the upper-end ones.
Well explained, thank you. I now understand your position. Thank you for taking out the time to 'splain it to me. I very much appreciate the trouble you went to.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Wouldn't it be better to come up with a strategy of how you can use your existing powers and abilities to beat Nausica then to retrain your pirate. At the very least there should be a team strategy.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Community Leader
DuranteRamses87 on Feb 1, 2014 wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to come up with a strategy of how you can use your existing powers and abilities to beat Nausica then to retrain your pirate. At the very least there should be a team strategy.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Powers and abilities? Certainly! Epics, however, are tough to control. If Nausica uses her charge the first round, sometimes even before I get a chance to choose any moves, she can comes across the board, already having a protection power or buff from the pirate the same round, and attack me. I will Quick Draw three times on her. She was get True Grit 3 times in addition to her attack, plus she has the potential for three Burst Fires. On top of the protection, that's seven hits per round versus my three Quick Draws, which are half damage as it is. That's pretty tough to counter.

Outside Nausica, though, being able to get rid of certain powers like this has always been an option for pirates who paid attention and took advantage early. I just want to be able to have that option later on. It doesn't just have to be for PvP, maybe all of the Armada enemies in the next segment are going to have True Grit 2. Perhaps Privateers take a turn more toward the buffing side and less of the attacking side, and want to get rid of Loud 2 in PvE.

Swordroll's Blog