Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why are the dragoons so annoying

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
the dragoons in marleybone are so annoying their power i think it's called steel defense or something like that but i faced them in the isle of fetch on the armada ship that was dispatching the signal to call the clockworks but there were like ten of them and only four people on my team: milo graytail, bonnie anne, scorpius and me. they killed my companions and left me alive but i only had my witchdoctor powers so i died because their steel defense power activates when you use witch or musketeer pwers on them.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
Kronosroses on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:
the dragoons in marleybone are so annoying their power i think it's called steel defense or something like that but i faced them in the isle of fetch on the armada ship that was dispatching the signal to call the clockworks but there were like ten of them and only four people on my team: milo graytail, bonnie anne, scorpius and me. they killed my companions and left me alive but i only had my witchdoctor powers so i died because their steel defense power activates when you use witch or musketeer pwers on them.
I agree their pretty darn tough. Although I think if you do a spell that effects two or more enemies they don't use that steely resolve power. With Bonnie I used her scatter shot power and they didn't attack back.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
I used my witch doctor multi attack powers and it still triggered their steel defense power in fact any time i use a witch doctor power or talent or even a simple attack it still triggers their steel defense ability.

- Faithful Tatiana Jackson level 59 witch doctor

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
In guys like these you put your buccaneer and privateers all at the front of your companion roster. That will reduce the chance of getting a musketeer but if you are a musketeer try to just use your hits that hit multiple targets. I honestly don't remember which hits trigger them and which don't. Anyone up for a bit of Dragoon farming just to see which hits are least likely to trigger it? I can use a witchdoctor, a privateer and a musketeer to see what works and what doesn't. Whatcha say brave pirates with a sense of discovery

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Bring a privateer to heal with you then the battle isn't too bad.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
I can't i don't have any privateer companions! I only have witch doctor, buccaneer, swashbuckler and musketeer companions!

- Faithful Tatiana Jackson

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Kronosroses on Jan 10, 2014 wrote:
I can't i don't have any privateer companions! I only have witch doctor, buccaneer, swashbuckler and musketeer companions!

I think Dante meant to bring a privateer friend along but you should have some privateer companions. If you are skipping all your side quests you should still have Gracie Conrad, your Bison Hunter and Bat Masterson and side quests will have given you your Helephant Destroyer.

Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
Kronosroses on Jan 10, 2014 wrote:

WRONG. The Ghost Spirit is a Privateer... isn't he?

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
o yes but he's only level 38 and i don't have enough gold for a companion training tome.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Kronosroses on Jan 14, 2014 wrote:
o yes but he's only level 38 and i don't have enough gold for a companion training tome.
Like we have mentioned before, if you neglect your companions it Will come back to bite you. You may have to stop questing for a bit and repair the things that have been neglected. By not training your companions you are now in a position where you need their type for a particular battle and they cannot help you. It's time to knuckle down and do the work. Just relax a bit on questing and do some farming to get those companions. Friar Sand is a great place to start. Get those companions trained. If you get tired of farming for gold you can always do some ship farming to get your nautical xp up. That is gonna just continue to make things harder for you until you can get a ship that is strong enough to carry you through the battles you are going to need. For variety you can always do the circuit of chests in Nova Aquila. There is a circle of 6 that I run and you can even get more than 6 per realm as two of them respawn before you can complete the run. There are lots of ways to make gold. Continuing to have to rely on the help of others that have already done the work is only going to frustrate you. You will genuinely surprised how much more pleasant the game is when you play it as it is designed.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Michael Radcliffe: The Dragoons aren't that hard. Once you've faced off against them a few times, you kinda know how to beat them swiftly. Use Swashbucklers to utterly destroy them. That is what I normally end up doing. Too bad I can't fly with this form........OH! Nothing! Anyways, keep trying and you will prevail!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
Wait bat masterson is a privateer right?

- Faithful Tatiana Jackson level 61 witch doctor

Captain
May 16, 2011
If you thought they're tough now, you should've seen them on the Marleybone and Aquila expansion when it first came to test realm. The dragoons instantly use "The Big Guns" on you, and prevent you from moving anywhere without stepping on 3 layers of fire. They also did more damage than our current live realm. I lost to them time and time again. They were soon tuned down, as they seemed to be pretty difficult. So be happy you're not facing them like they wore on the test realm.

Captain
May 13, 2011
Kronosroses on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:
Wait bat masterson is a privateer right?

- Faithful Tatiana Jackson level 61 witch doctor
bats a privateer

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
Ensign
Nov 15, 2010
Witchdoctors . Remember a witchdoctors strength is that they don't fight fair. Try using you infinite range spells (eg. mournsong) while they are still far away. Steely Resolve has a limited range for retaliation, if you are outside this range it will not trigger. AoE spells should be useful since I think (It's been a while since I fought them) they don't trigger it either.

Something that may also help is to summon a up a few minions. Not only will your minions whittle away at you enemies health but occasionally they'll soak up an attack or two.