Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Practice Point Reset Shouldn't Be Crowns Only

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 14, 2013
I am a paying member of Pirate101 and am currently at level 55. I want to reset my practice points now that I have learned more about the game and how powers work, but I can't because the only way I can do so is with crowns!

I don't think it is fair to make resetting practice points a crown only feature. I already pay for a membership and this just isn't fair in my opinion. I can understand charging free to play players for this, but at least let us paying members use this feature for gold also!

There are other game features I feel should come with membership, but for now, resetting practice points for crowns only is my main complaint. Please allow us paying members to enjoy this feature for gold as well. Thank you.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
StingyBlazeBurke on Dec 11, 2013 wrote:
I am a paying member of Pirate101 and am currently at level 55. I want to reset my practice points now that I have learned more about the game and how powers work, but I can't because the only way I can do so is with crowns!

I don't think it is fair to make resetting practice points a crown only feature. I already pay for a membership and this just isn't fair in my opinion. I can understand charging free to play players for this, but at least let us paying members use this feature for gold also!

There are other game features I feel should come with membership, but for now, resetting practice points for crowns only is my main complaint. Please allow us paying members to enjoy this feature for gold as well. Thank you.
Hey there Blaze

I like your thoughts on this and I also think that maybe it is one of those items in the game that KI could relieve paying members from having to pay crowns for. We already put out a decent amount of money for the memberships and just to buy crowns for so many things the game has to offer.

As you stated, sometimes it takes a while to learn how to play the game, what strategies work best and which powers, talents and/or abilities are worth spending practice points on.

Or maybe if KI still makes members pay crowns for resetting practice points they could at least throw in extra rewards for paying members who choose to do so. Maybe like give your pirate an additional 1-3 practice points to spend. This may even entice non-paying members to join. Just a crazy thought.

A little break for paying members on resetting practice points is just what the witchdoctor ordered!

Community Leader
I sympathize, this would be nice.
KI has always reserved this as a crowns feature however, even in thier Wizard101 game.
Hopefully they will reconsider, but seems to be one of those things they are steadfast on.

Would be nice perhaps if they extended the subscriber perks to allow this to be reset with gold as well.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Nov 14, 2013
There is an alternative option that KI could take. Give members 5000 crowns a month with their membership so we can then use this feature without having to keep digging in our pockets and feeling forced to buy crowns. You already unfairly advertise this game as free to play, which it is, indeed, NOT free to play.

After I pay each month, the only thing left in my pockets is lint, unfortunately!

First Mate
May 01, 2012
I think one of the reasons that KI does not do a Practice Point reset for Gold is that too many Pirates would be doing it all the time since Gold is usually fairly easy to get. I think if there were Practice Point Resets costing Gold they might have to increase the price of membership.

I think there could be a compromise between all or no Practice Point Resets. For example: with a year's membership, you get 5 Practice Point resets. That would allow 1 for each type of Pirate or you could use them all on one Pirate and, by that point, you should know the game well enough that you shouldn't need any more resets. After the the 5 Practice Point Resets were used, you would pay Crowns for any more Resets. The free Practice Point Resets would work only once per account.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
SlightlyMadWizard on Dec 12, 2013 wrote:
I think one of the reasons that KI does not do a Practice Point reset for Gold is that too many Pirates would be doing it all the time since Gold is usually fairly easy to get. I think if there were Practice Point Resets costing Gold they might have to increase the price of membership.

I think there could be a compromise between all or no Practice Point Resets. For example: with a year's membership, you get 5 Practice Point resets. That would allow 1 for each type of Pirate or you could use them all on one Pirate and, by that point, you should know the game well enough that you shouldn't need any more resets. After the the 5 Practice Point Resets were used, you would pay Crowns for any more Resets. The free Practice Point Resets would work only once per account.
That's a pretty good idea. Members should have a few extra benefits or bonuses relating to the game and crowns. Even if I, being a member, had to pay crowns for resetting practice points- I wouldn't mind so much if (as a member) I was giving a few more bonuses or some type of extras. That's why I like the idea that if when resetting practice points with crowns, KI would grant paying members a gift of an extra practice point or two....or three. (Now I am just getting greedy)

Community Leader
One reason I believe they do it as crowns only, is that to be fair... there has to be some means of 'discouraging' reseting practice points.

There must be a "cost" involved that would make a pirate 'think' about it before doing it.
Otherwise, you would have some players resetting and reassigning points every other battle.

It also discourages players from using their points wisely, as there would be little or no cost in changing it should they wish to later.

It needs to be done in a fashion that allows, but discourages, otherwise it completely eliminates one facet of game play.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
StingyBlazeBurke on Dec 11, 2013 wrote:
There is an alternative option that KI could take. Give members 5000 crowns a month with their membership so we can then use this feature without having to keep digging in our pockets and feeling forced to buy crowns. You already unfairly advertise this game as free to play, which it is, indeed, NOT free to play.

After I pay each month, the only thing left in my pockets is lint, unfortunately!
It is too free to play, just up to a certain point. That way you can really try out the game to see if it is your cup of tea without having to buy it first. Granted we all would love for the free areas to be bigger, who wouldn't but no matter where they put the cut off point people would complain that it wasn't enough. Guess that is just the humanness in us.
I just wanted to state that KingsIsle did not lie, it IS free to play, just not as far as it use to be and not as far as most want but after all it is a free gift. Who are we to complain about what a company that needs to make money to survive gives us. Let us try not to be ungrateful, ok?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I like the idea of the compromise. We are all not so knowledgeable when we first start. I had to retrain all of my companions on my first two pirates since I grew them at just about the same rate and I was totally ignorant as to how to train them. Once I was mentored on how this was wisely done (My thanks to Angel Xiriga, or Xiriganism on the boards) I needed to do a lot of fixes to get my crew working as they were designed. Practice points are the same way. Once you figure it out, you won't need to reset it much but for the first few ones we do have a tendency to make a bit of a mess of it, lol and the grace for resets would be highly appreciated.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 12, 2013 wrote:
I like the idea of the compromise. We are all not so knowledgeable when we first start. I had to retrain all of my companions on my first two pirates since I grew them at just about the same rate and I was totally ignorant as to how to train them. Once I was mentored on how this was wisely done (My thanks to Angel Xiriga, or Xiriganism on the boards) I needed to do a lot of fixes to get my crew working as they were designed. Practice points are the same way. Once you figure it out, you won't need to reset it much but for the first few ones we do have a tendency to make a bit of a mess of it, lol and the grace for resets would be highly appreciated.
That is a very fair statement indeed.

Maybe paying members could be given say 2 'good grace' practice point resets(or mulligans) per pirate. If you haven't learned enough about training and wise usage of practice points after the free ones then you would have to pay crowns just like non paying members. I think that's not too much to ask for, is it?

Ensign
Nov 14, 2013
Even one practice point reset per month's paid membership would be awesome. I am not against having to spend crowns totally on practice point resets, but cmon, 5250 crowns for one level 65 reset!

I could buy a lot of nice stuff or at least one cool companion for that price!

Here is my favorite idea so far... add a practice point reset to the Tribal Packs as a rare chance to get one. That would also get people buying even more tribal packs than they already do!

I feel that about 1500 crowns would be a fair price on practice points reset, but at 5250 crowns for one currently, you are charging us WAY too much for a simple practice point reset!

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
I agree.
Perhaps it could be a load of gold, depending on your level.
Right now, a companion training point is 9k gold, i'm level 65. Perhaps it could be 14k to reset the first time, then 28k the next, then 56k, then 112k, and then 224k, etc.
People wont be rushing into reset points, and it'd take a tremendous amount of gold to reset it.
Maybe members can reset for gold like that stated above, and non members pay crowns?

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 51

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
I think it's far too expensive to reset practice points on a maxed pirate. Especially, since most new pirates don't have a clue what's best for them in the beginning and majority would want to reset their points when they realize it. However, it may cost them over 6000 crowns to do so, which is more than the cost of one month's membership.

I'm making two recommendations, but I strongly suggest the first to be implemented:

1) Pirates should also be able to reset where they were raised (i.e. Grizzleheim, Krokotopia, MooShu, etc.) or at least have the option to change that separate from practice points.

2) Design a cheaper reset system. I don't think it should cost more than $5, especially since this is a family game and not Call of Duty or something like that. Obviously, I'd prefer it to cost Gold instead of Crowns but that's up for you guys to decide, but having a tiered system would be best to avoid people constantly resetting their practice points as I'm sure that's what's intended with the current system.

1st reset = 100k gold or 1000 crowns
2nd reset = 150k gold or 1500 crowns
3rd reset = 250k gold or 2500 crowns
4th reset = 400k gold or 4000 crowns

Ultimately, reducing the cost will increase demand and benefit Pirate101 in the long run too. Based on what I can guess after reading the forums, most players that have done so, have only resetted their pirates' practice points once and will not do so again because its far too expensive. If you ask me, that takes some fun out of the game, especially since I like to mix things up every now and then and would like to change how my pirate fights (e.g. Swashbuckler going from Stabby/Slashy to Stabby/Shooty weapons).

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Wicked Victor Arms... on Dec 22, 2013 wrote:
I think it's far too expensive to reset practice points on a maxed pirate. Especially, since most new pirates don't have a clue what's best for them in the beginning and majority would want to reset their points when they realize it. However, it may cost them over 6000 crowns to do so, which is more than the cost of one month's membership.

I'm making two recommendations, but I strongly suggest the first to be implemented:

1) Pirates should also be able to reset where they were raised (i.e. Grizzleheim, Krokotopia, MooShu, etc.) or at least have the option to change that separate from practice points.

2) Design a cheaper reset system. I don't think it should cost more than $5, especially since this is a family game and not Call of Duty or something like that. Obviously, I'd prefer it to cost Gold instead of Crowns but that's up for you guys to decide, but having a tiered system would be best to avoid people constantly resetting their practice points as I'm sure that's what's intended with the current system.

1st reset = 100k gold or 1000 crowns
2nd reset = 150k gold or 1500 crowns
3rd reset = 250k gold or 2500 crowns
4th reset = 400k gold or 4000 crowns

Ultimately, reducing the cost will increase demand and benefit Pirate101 in the long run too. Based on what I can guess after reading the forums, most players that have done so, have only resetted their pirates' practice points once and will not do so again because its far too expensive. If you ask me, that takes some fun out of the game, especially since I like to mix things up every now and then and would like to change how my pirate fights (e.g. Swashbuckler going from Stabby/Slashy to Stabby/Shooty weapons).
Totally agree! Especially with the first one, i chose Born Warrior because i thought it sounded tough, only to recieve a boost of 5 damage. Not even 5% just 5. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
DeathWiz101378 on Dec 23, 2013 wrote:
Totally agree! Especially with the first one, i chose Born Warrior because i thought it sounded tough, only to recieve a boost of 5 damage. Not even 5% just 5. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.
Yeah I picked borned dodgy because I thought it was 5% not 5 on my Witchdoctor. Now I wish I had gotten born spooky to increase my attack power because my pirate rarely gets hit.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Wicked Victor Arms... on Dec 24, 2013 wrote:
Yeah I picked borned dodgy because I thought it was 5% not 5 on my Witchdoctor. Now I wish I had gotten born spooky to increase my attack power because my pirate rarely gets hit.
I learned from this too. On my second Privateer I chose born spooky, something that, up front makes no sense but now I know that that spooky talent boosts my heals and is VERY valuable to a privateer. Yea re choosing those sure would be nice. Not a deal breaker, but just nice.