Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Filtered Text Chat Issues

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
Hello. I'd like to address an issue that's starting to bother me. It's with the filtered text chat. This type of chat is meant to keep you from using inappropriate language, giving out e-mail addresses, phone numbers, ages, etc. But people always tend to find another way to say what they want to say. And that's not okay. (I'm a poet and I know it! ) For example (just a random example), instead of saying: "I'm 20 years old." People will say: "I'm twin ty." And, I know that if someone comes up to another player and asks them their age, the player being asked can just walk away or say: "I'm not telling you my age." But, that's not the only problem here. People are saying things that should not be said to kids in person, let alone on a game. Some people say really inappropriate things. And, they find a way to say it with text chat. Another problem, I know the phone number of some random girl who plays Pirate101 now. (Well, I don't remember it but I saw it being said at the time.) People find ways around the filter. That girl was just standing in Avery's Court when two boys went up to her pirate. The one said something about his friend having a crush on her or something like that. Then the girl just gave out her phone number and told them to call her! I don't know how this problem could be avoided..... But this post isn't so much directed toward KI as it is to the players. It's a game. A family game. Meant purely for entertainment. I'm going to play it and use it what it's meant for. I encourage others to do the same. Thank you.

Rachel - Level 41

Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
RachelTheWitchdoct... on Aug 7, 2013 wrote:
Hello. I'd like to address an issue that's starting to bother me. It's with the filtered text chat. This type of chat is meant to keep you from using inappropriate language, giving out e-mail addresses, phone numbers, ages, etc. But people always tend to find another way to say what they want to say. And that's not okay. (I'm a poet and I know it! ) For example (just a random example), instead of saying: "I'm 20 years old." People will say: "I'm twin ty." And, I know that if someone comes up to another player and asks them their age, the player being asked can just walk away or say: "I'm not telling you my age." But, that's not the only problem here. People are saying things that should not be said to kids in person, let alone on a game. Some people say really inappropriate things. And, they find a way to say it with text chat. Another problem, I know the phone number of some random girl who plays Pirate101 now. (Well, I don't remember it but I saw it being said at the time.) People find ways around the filter. That girl was just standing in Avery's Court when two boys went up to her pirate. The one said something about his friend having a crush on her or something like that. Then the girl just gave out her phone number and told them to call her! I don't know how this problem could be avoided..... But this post isn't so much directed toward KI as it is to the players. It's a game. A family game. Meant purely for entertainment. I'm going to play it and use it what it's meant for. I encourage others to do the same. Thank you.

Rachel - Level 41
By the way, I'm not trying to get even more limits for the text chat. I think its limited enough its just that there are some people out there that are saying things that shouldn't be said. (That's pretty much a summary of my previous post.... Sorry it was kind of long and rambling on and on...........)

Rachel - Level 41

Captain
May 13, 2011
i wouldnt really complain. theres nothing you can do without ruining the fun for others. this stuff is called common sense. dont give your number to a stranger. if you saw a girl tell her a number, its her own fault. report, just DO NOT convince KI to limit even more. i have a hard time talking. overprotection is limiting my fun. add numbers back, KI. a friend of mine had to add numbers to tell me how many ships he needed. we cant even say "second" when referring to "second chance". this is getting insane, no, it already is insane

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
The phone number thing is one of the proper uses of the report button. I applaud your appeal to players to be responsible with chat. Ever more restrictive chat limits are not what we want. Sadly there are those who use their creativity for bad ends. I back up KI on their restrictions. When players continue to misuse chat, sometimes KI has no choice but to restrict more words. I'd rather not see more restrictions, but I know they wouldn't bother doing it for no reason.
I think menu chat ought to have a few new phrases. "I need a couple/ few/ lot more." for talking about their quest.
For the Second Chance Chests, I mention them as another chance chests.

Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
Sneaky George Quar... on Aug 7, 2013 wrote:
i wouldnt really complain. theres nothing you can do without ruining the fun for others. this stuff is called common sense. dont give your number to a stranger. if you saw a girl tell her a number, its her own fault. report, just DO NOT convince KI to limit even more. i have a hard time talking. overprotection is limiting my fun. add numbers back, KI. a friend of mine had to add numbers to tell me how many ships he needed. we cant even say "second" when referring to "second chance". this is getting insane, no, it already is insane
I already posted that I'm not saying that there should be more limits. I AM AWARE that its their own player's stupidity that ruins it for the rest of us. But it's not just about giving out phone numbers. I do think that KI should back it down on the limits. If a person is stupid enough to give out their personal information online, that's their fault. I know that there's nothing KI can do about players that simply give out information about themselves. But as I said at the end of my original post, this isn't directed towards KI so much as it is the PLAYERS. THE PLAYERS PEOPLE! And I'm not complaining. I don't care if it sounds like it- I'm not.

Rachel - Level 42

Petty Officer
Nov 15, 2012
i would like to be able to say certain items like names of food like steak cheese and other stuff. like that :)

Administrator
We've got a great post running currently on our blog that touches on this topic:

"A good rule to follow is 'Just because you can say it, doesn’t mean you should'. Again, chat is a privilege in our games, not a right. It can be taken away if you choose to expose other players to vulgarity, inappropriate language or harassment. When you play online we’re all about having fun, but never at the expense of others."

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
One-Eyed Jack on Aug 14, 2013 wrote:
We've got a great post running currently on our blog that touches on this topic:

"A good rule to follow is 'Just because you can say it, doesn’t mean you should'. Again, chat is a privilege in our games, not a right. It can be taken away if you choose to expose other players to vulgarity, inappropriate language or harassment. When you play online we’re all about having fun, but never at the expense of others."
Thank you Jack. I read the post. I hope others read it as well and understand it.

Rachel - Level 46