Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

useless epics

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
i am sure everyone has an epic witch they find useless (mines witch hunter) tell me what they are

Community Leader
Doctor Z on Feb 13, 2013 wrote:
i am sure everyone has an epic witch they find useless (mines witch hunter) tell me what they are
I would say there are NO useless talents in the game, however there are some that are not as useful as others.

Witchhunter is one of them, as it (like a few others) only triggers when a certain combination of events occurs (a witchdoctor attacking a witchdoctor) that do not occur as often as others.

These talents may play bigger roles as the game progresses and we get more content, and more combination of foes to overcome.

Witchhunt, Return Fire, Counterspell are a few I know of that do not seem to trigger enough to be helpful (at least at this point in the game).

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
May 06, 2009
Doctor Z on Feb 13, 2013 wrote:
Lol you kind of sounded very demanding with that "tell me what they are" statement. Lol

I don't have a useless epic in mind, but I know definately 3 that are going to appear here: Return Fire, Witch Hunter and Hold the Line. I want to exemplify how they work and the cause of their rareness of use, as I'll say it.

Witch Hunter is like a First Strike against Witch Doctors. If you have a Melee Companion with Witch Hunter and your Companion is directly in front of a Witch Doctor and the Witch Doctor uses a spell on them, Witch Hunter will activate first and that Companion will get the first hit. Tip: If you have a Melee Companion with this ability and are up against a Witch Doctors, it's a good idea to move them as close to a Witch Doctor that is targeting them, making it more effective.
In the case of a Witch Doctor vs. Witch Doctor and one has Witch Hunter, the Witch Doctor with Witch Hunter with attack first. Since they attack at range, there is little point in moving them closer to each other if they are in range of one another. This move is extremely effective against Witch Doctors (especially if Old Scratch, Mormo, Bison Shaman, Monquistador, Crab Hermit, or Chilam Bak are up against Inoshishi Bandits and other Witch Doctors.)
Because Witch Doctors are hard to find, this won't get much use but good in the just-in-case. I think when we hit Darkmoor this will see more use.

Hold the Line is a good Epic for incoming enemies. Most people say "What does this do? It's useless. All it does is say IMMOBILIZE!" Hold the Line keeps an enemy from moving any closer to someone once they become in range of the person with Hold the Line. Let me give you an example:

You're in battle and three Clockwork Marines are in a row. The last enemy is about to die since he took a ton of hits from you're range guys. Now you want to move in and finish the job and tell all you're crew mates to attack someone else, believing you can get him. Well you target the last guy and go in for the kill. The first Marine knows Hold the Line. Once you're in his space, BAM! you can't move any further. Now you've lost a round to kill a really annoying guy and he can make it another round.

Hold the Line can be a bane for most Swashbucklers because it can cause them to attack a smaller number of enemies with Dance of Steel since Hold the Line stopped them from moving to there initial position. For those who got caught up in Bonnie Ann's 2nd promotion, should know from the first time on Monte Royale how it was hard to make your steady escape with Marines constantly halting you (Least that's what happened with my brother).

Return Fire is kind of an inclusion of a possibility. It's hard for a Musketeer to dodge anything as they have terrible dodge, but outstanding accuracy. This will get little use because of that, but it is good to have every possible factor accounted for in a battle (plus don't Musketeers deserve a ranged Riposte?)

Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
Dr Zeppers on Feb 14, 2013 wrote:
I would say there are NO useless talents in the game, however there are some that are not as useful as others.

Witchhunter is one of them, as it (like a few others) only triggers when a certain combination of events occurs (a witchdoctor attacking a witchdoctor) that do not occur as often as others.

These talents may play bigger roles as the game progresses and we get more content, and more combination of foes to overcome.

Witchhunt, Return Fire, Counterspell are a few I know of that do not seem to trigger enough to be helpful (at least at this point in the game).
You have a point but I think some epics will be not as good as others

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
A quick tip for Hold the Line: it can't block ppl under shadow walk (So it can't block ppl udner invisibility, i used this trick a lot vs armada troopers with my buccaneer), also it is useful for to create some "roadblock", i usually try to do this with my bonnie anne and/or my musketeer character, very useful paired with overwatch since you can trick enemies by continuosly blocking them and move your ranged unit, so when Hold the line stops its effect and enemies move they would be shotted from overwaching units ^^.

The 3 talents should be revised for me are:

Witch Hunter: make it to be ranged and/or to proc when enemy use magic staves also.
Return Fire: Is very difficult that a ranged unit would miss, although it has some residual use, for now i managed to proc it with my monquistador xbow just once at all.
Crossfire: very situational atm, but as Ratbeard stated it will be correct since atm it doesn't work as intended.

Developer
Return Fire is the one that I think needs the closest look-- I'm still mulling that one over. Given the number of ways to boost your own team's dodge or to reduce enemy accuracy (with more on the way) I am leery of over-balancing it.

Witch Hunter fires too rarely, I will admit, but it does more damage than a normal attack and reduces the caster's outgoing damage, as well. I'll investigate this one and see if for some reason it's not firing as often as I think it should be. The hearsay feedback I am getting on Witch Hunter sounds more like it's buggy than that it is underwhelming. If it were working as expected, it should be decent.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Doctor Z on Feb 15, 2013 wrote:
You have a point but I think some epics will be not as good as others
OFX Saint's first line stated that specifically, that some talents may not be as good as others.

Epic talents vary on usefulness pending on your style of combat and you strategies, what may work for some, may not work for others.

Some may not like relentless or burst fire and would rather have Vengeance or Blade Storm. Some may want flanking or cross-fire while others might use overwatch or repel boarders.

Witchhunter can be a great talent to have pending on who you are fighting. If you have companions with this talent, you can move them to first companion slot and when fighting enemies such as Tengu Sorcerers, this talent works perfectly against them!

Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
Cunning Finnigan S... on Feb 14, 2013 wrote:
Lol you kind of sounded very demanding with that "tell me what they are" statement. Lol

I don't have a useless epic in mind, but I know definately 3 that are going to appear here: Return Fire, Witch Hunter and Hold the Line. I want to exemplify how they work and the cause of their rareness of use, as I'll say it.

Witch Hunter is like a First Strike against Witch Doctors. If you have a Melee Companion with Witch Hunter and your Companion is directly in front of a Witch Doctor and the Witch Doctor uses a spell on them, Witch Hunter will activate first and that Companion will get the first hit. Tip: If you have a Melee Companion with this ability and are up against a Witch Doctors, it's a good idea to move them as close to a Witch Doctor that is targeting them, making it more effective.
In the case of a Witch Doctor vs. Witch Doctor and one has Witch Hunter, the Witch Doctor with Witch Hunter with attack first. Since they attack at range, there is little point in moving them closer to each other if they are in range of one another. This move is extremely effective against Witch Doctors (especially if Old Scratch, Mormo, Bison Shaman, Monquistador, Crab Hermit, or Chilam Bak are up against Inoshishi Bandits and other Witch Doctors.)
Because Witch Doctors are hard to find, this won't get much use but good in the just-in-case. I think when we hit Darkmoor this will see more use.

Hold the Line is a good Epic for incoming enemies. Most people say "What does this do? It's useless. All it does is say IMMOBILIZE!" Hold the Line keeps an enemy from moving any closer to someone once they become in range of the person with Hold the Line. Let me give you an example:

You're in battle and three Clockwork Marines are in a row. The last enemy is about to die since he took a ton of hits from you're range guys. Now you want to move in and finish the job and tell all you're crew mates to attack someone else, believing you can get him. Well you target the last guy and go in for the kill. The first Marine knows Hold the Line. Once you're in his space, BAM! you can't move any further. Now you've lost a round to kill a really annoying guy and he can make it another round.

Hold the Line can be a bane for most Swashbucklers because it can cause them to attack a smaller number of enemies with Dance of Steel since Hold the Line stopped them from moving to there initial position. For those who got caught up in Bonnie Ann's 2nd promotion, should know from the first time on Monte Royale how it was hard to make your steady escape with Marines constantly halting you (Least that's what happened with my brother).

Return Fire is kind of an inclusion of a possibility. It's hard for a Musketeer to dodge anything as they have terrible dodge, but outstanding accuracy. This will get little use because of that, but it is good to have every possible factor accounted for in a battle (plus don't Musketeers deserve a ranged Riposte?)
yeah... this is my first topic maybe tell me what they are where not the best choice of words.

Quiet Zachary Armstrong