Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

what exactly does galant defense do?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
Ratbeard on Dec 4, 2012 wrote:
I can't say if it will be in the next patch or not (that's for Jack to say) but I can tell you the intended functionality:

1) You cast Gallant Defense on yourself (not on a target). This puts the Gallant Defense "aura" around your character.

2) For the duration of the effect, if an attack is launched at an ally adjacent to you, if you could have been the target instead, the attack will target you. You become a magnet for attacks-- melee, ranged, even magic.

It's risky-- but it shouldn't be too risky for a Swashbuckler. Swashbucklers are plenty dodgy.
Hi Ratbeard, thank you for the clear explanation.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
If that is the way it's intended(and all indications in test indicate that this is the fact) then I think my PvP oriented Swashbuckler just died and went to heaven. This spell has such AMAZING potential. If it is all attacks directed at ALL adjacent allies then whoo boy im going to be in love with this talent. Time to run some tests in test :D Thank You Ratbeard!

Ensign
Mar 04, 2011
Ratbeard on Dec 4, 2012 wrote:
I can't say if it will be in the next patch or not (that's for Jack to say) but I can tell you the intended functionality:

1) You cast Gallant Defense on yourself (not on a target). This puts the Gallant Defense "aura" around your character.

2) For the duration of the effect, if an attack is launched at an ally adjacent to you, if you could have been the target instead, the attack will target you. You become a magnet for attacks-- melee, ranged, even magic.

It's risky-- but it shouldn't be too risky for a Swashbuckler. Swashbucklers are plenty dodgy.
so this power is intended to block more then one attack? If so then what is the intended duration for the boost?

Ensign
Mar 04, 2011
has gallant defense been fixed in the recent test realm opening for pvp?

Developer
totherpage95 on Dec 5, 2012 wrote:
so this power is intended to block more then one attack? If so then what is the intended duration for the boost?
We went back and forth between, "It lasts for the whole combat, or until you die..." and "5 turns."

I'm not sure where it ended up... So try it out on Test Realm and by all means give me feedback. It might need a tweak or two before all is said and done.

Yes, it's a great power for the Swashbuckler, I am happy it seems to be finally working!

This is tangentially related, but you should also notice that the Flanking epic talent is behaving differently now-- it, too, is finally working as intended. Don't get caught between two flankers.

Ensign
Mar 04, 2011
does the power cancel if you take any action or if your companion or you move?

Also does this only affect the companions that were close to you when you use the power?

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
The results of my testing of Gallant Defense in Test Realm.

1)Type of Spell: It is an Area of effect that affects all squares directly surrounding your character.

2) Range: It has a range of 1 square in all directions. The effects will only work if your companions/allies are within one square of your character

3) Duration: It lasts a total of five rounds.

4)Effect: Any and all attacks targeted at allies or companions within one square of the caster is redirected towards the caster automatically. The spell ends once your character dies, after 5 rounds, if your companions move out of range(Note: Moving out of range does not cancel the spell it lasts all five rounds so you can have your companions move into and out of range of the effects for 5 rounds, completely at your discretion!)